AT Field Nullified (or eroded)

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

AT Field Nullified (or eroded)

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:14 pm

When an Eva uses it's At Field to destroy an Angel's one, are both fields neutralized?

Secondly, when an AT Field is extended defensively, how far is it extended from the user's body?

Lastly, when an AT field is used offensively, does it have to be shifted from an "offensive" to a "defensive" mode?
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Re: AT Field Nullified (or eroded)

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:43 pm

CyberXIII wrote:When an Eva uses it's At Field to destroy an Angel's one, are both fields neutralized?
No. Ritsuko would have said something.
CyberXIII wrote:Secondly, when an AT Field is extended defensively, how far is it extended from the user's body?
That all depends on how big the Eva is when that happens.
CyberXIII wrote:Lastly, when an AT field is used offensively, does it have to be shifted from an "offensive" to a "defensive" mode?
I don't think so; this certainly isn't the case in Rebuild when
SPOILER: Show
Zeruel uses a multi-layered AT Field to smash at its opponents while still blocking all of their attacks.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:22 am

The way I see it it works like a sort of gradient: attacks can go one way but not the other, from the unit with the stronger extended AT Field to the other. Hence when Sachiel extends his field Unit 01 can't make contact, but then Unit 01 returns by pushing hers to a higher level than Sachiel's. Sachiel's eyebeam/cross attack then continues to wash over Unit 01 with no discernible effect, i.e. attack blocked.

The idea of
multi-layered AT Fields
is also an interesting one. I think the concept was there all along in NGE with the distinction between latent and extended, but never really had a chance to show.
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

Dranzer
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Dranzer » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:59 am

In the original NGE,the A.T.Field wasn't used like a weapon(except EoE - Anti A.T.Field.),it was just a Shield.
But the RoE changed the meaning of the A.T.Field.It's added a new quality.

I think the A.T. Field in RoE can be used like a Shield,or a Weapon...or both=>Zeruel's multi-layered field,which can push the enemy far away.But in Eva-01 berserker(2.0) Shinji uses the Field to replace the left hand - with it's own A.T.Field.
And I think it doesn't need a lot of time to change between offensive/defenisive mode,maybe just a second.
Evangelion Genocide:chapter 14?!
CYOA:A Character Insert :D
And waiting for Evangelion 3.0 Q Quickening...Next summer,dudes! Or maybe before summer?:O ;)

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:38 am

Dranzer wrote:In the original NGE,the A.T.Field wasn't used like a weapon(except EoE - Anti A.T.Field.),it was just a Shield.

No, Saha used his A.T. Field to crush sattelites, Leliel had an inverted A.T. Field for "connection to another universe", and Arael had a mind rape A.T. Field beam.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:42 am

Obviously some folks are forgetting about ep19 and Yui cutting Zeruel to pieces with her ATF.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Rock-Slash
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rock-Slash » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:45 am

Dranzer wrote:In the original NGE,the A.T.Field wasn't used like a weapon(except EoE - Anti A.T.Field.),it was just a Shield.

Yui use her AT Field to maim Zeruel in ep19, and I think Asuka uses Unit 02 AT Field to destroy some VTOLs in EoE.

Dranzer
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Dranzer » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:15 pm

wow i forgot about those moments :ehh: this is an awkward situation :doh:

a little off: Arael's light was an A.T.Field?Maya said that no thermal or A.T.Field detected.
Evangelion Genocide:chapter 14?!
CYOA:A Character Insert :D
And waiting for Evangelion 3.0 Q Quickening...Next summer,dudes! Or maybe before summer?:O ;)

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”