Yui/EVA-01 in 3I

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:43 pm

The main theme of Evangelion is obvious. It's basically spoon-fed to the viewer by the end of the show.

So why did Anno (or whoever else) decide to encorporate so many other elements into the series? The scene in EoE where Yui and Fuyutsuki are discussing Eva, for example. What was this scene's purpose?
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:10 pm

Reichu wrote:Well, without that, the fact that Yui stays in the Eva and floats off into space wouldn't make much sense, now would it?

Why does she float off in the first place? If that conversation exists for the sake of this scene, then why does this scene exist?
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:39 pm

To land on some distant, uninhabited planet and start this whole mess all over again, of course!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:44 pm

Reichu wrote:To land on some distant, uninhabited planet and start this whole mess all over again, of course!

You know that is not the real answer, tell it right! :lol:
Natsukashii, ne?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:51 pm

I dunno -- I think it damn well could be!

(Or are you referring to a transfer of residence to Eden being the 'real answer'?)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:56 pm

i thought she was simply proof of mankinds existence

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:56 pm

Reichu wrote:To land on some distant, uninhabited planet and start this whole mess all over again, of course!

. . . and play god.

I can't imagin how somw one that lived through that would do something like that.

I know eva seems to be ovn o those fantsy worlds were certain things will happin no matter what. Like fate is on some leveal unalterable, and human will has only a limited impact on what happins. It's my least favorate part of the story.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:23 pm

sadsadshinji wrote:i thought she was simply proof of mankinds existence

And the question is why? Why suddenly introduce this plot point at the end of the series if it doesn't serve to further an already existing point?

Sorry, I wasn't really asking why Yui floated off in the first place. I'm asking why the creators would have had this occur at all.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:32 pm

TO quote a great entertainer " Always leave them wanting more ".

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:12 pm

Well, what did you want them to do, kill ALL the Evas? Yui just stabs herself in the core with the Spear soon as HIP is resolved?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:13 pm

Reichu wrote:I dunno -- I think it damn well could be!

(Or are you referring to a transfer of residence to Eden being the 'real answer'?)

No, what I mean is that the real reason Yui had to float off into space is so that there wouldn't be any more Eva-tissue left on the planet. No more clones, no more impacts.
Natsukashii, ne?

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:46 pm

Reichu wrote:Well, what did you want them to do, kill ALL the Evas? Yui just stabs herself in the core with the Spear soon as HIP is resolved?

It suggests that the impacts was fated to happin so that Yui could move on to antoher world create life their and repeat the cycle. It suggests predistination is how the univers works, somthing i've always though was stupid.

It would have been better had Yui just passed on of her own will. She chose to remain in the Eva, and once things where done she could have chose to leave it. Only thing id ever change about the story.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:18 pm

Soluzar wrote:No, what I mean is that the real reason Yui had to float off into space is so that there wouldn't be any more Eva-tissue left on the planet. No more clones, no more impacts.

She could just as easily have petrified forever and dropped back down to Earth, as opposed to petrifying temporarily and floating off with the Spear 'in hand'.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:06 am

Reichu wrote:
Soluzar wrote:No, what I mean is that the real reason Yui had to float off into space is so that there wouldn't be any more Eva-tissue left on the planet. No more clones, no more impacts.

She could just as easily have petrified forever and dropped back down to Earth, as opposed to petrifying temporarily and floating off with the Spear 'in hand'.

Maybe the spear would be too risky to leave behind. I've always thought of that as the only reason she floated off into space, myself.
Natsukashii, ne?

Oblivious
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Oblivious » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:40 am

Eva tissue?

Do those billion ton masses of dismembered GNR count?

I have a feeling humanity will just find another way to construct another monstrosity anyways.
http://graveyardofroses.spaces.live.com
You can either choose to change yourself or change your surroundings. All decisions are variations of those two.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:58 am

Umm Unit 2 was dead but the flesh was not burned away you could use that. Also the MAGI computers around the world probley had the data to create more in the lab.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:00 am

create more in a lab? i think that you would need something to base them off of

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:31 am

Soluzar wrote:Maybe the spear would be too risky to leave behind. I've always thought of that as the only reason she floated off into space, myself.

She could have destroyed it if she so desired. Seele was planning to do so in their scenario (unless you don't want to accept that tidbit from NGE2, in which case I guess they weren't :rolleyes: ).

Oblivious wrote:Do those billion ton masses of dismembered GNR count?

Some think that she petrified, too. There was something eerily ... inorganic about the way the left side of her head just slid off.

Datdude wrote:Umm Unit 2 was dead but the flesh was not burned away you could use that.

Actually, it was completely vaporized.

Also the MAGI computers around the world probley had the data to create more in the lab.

That's assuming the computers would still be intact by the time people reembodied to maintain them.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:45 am

Some think that she petrified, too. There was something eerily ... inorganic about the way the left side of her head just slid off.

I still say that even if she was all hard and crunchy on the outside, on the inside GNR's body was full of soft and creamy Rei nuggut! Mmmmmm...nuggut...
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:10 pm

Reichu wrote:
Soluzar wrote:Maybe the spear would be too risky to leave behind. I've always thought of that as the only reason she floated off into space, myself.

She could have destroyed it if she so desired. Seele was planning to do so in their scenario (unless you don't want to accept that tidbit from NGE2, in which case I guess they weren't :rolleyes: ).

I wasn't aware of that piece of info until today. Listen, I feel the urge to make a point about information from the game right now. It's not that I dispute the content of the information, nor the validity of it, but I certainly feel that some ground-rules should be established, for the sake of academic integrity.

Proposed Rule the First: NGE2 is a crappy ackronym, that gives the wrong impression. It sounds as though it were an anime sequel to NGE. I propose that we call it something else, despite the "official" name. It is important that everyone know where we are deriving our information from.

Proposed Rule the Second: There needs to be some kind of a page about this we can link to, maybe on the commentary site. I don't know about you, but I'm never going to play the game, so there needs to be some kind of information page we can refer to. Otherwise, I'm at a disadvantage, compared to you.

To refer to the game is acceptable, although the validity of the info will be debated by many. It must, however, be referred to in a consistant and transparent manner, with the information contained therein freely available to all disputants.

Oblivious wrote:Eva tissue?

Do those billion ton masses of dismembered GNR count?
Of course not; It has always been obvious to me that she turned to stone, or at least some other non-organic form of matter

Oblivious wrote:I have a feeling humanity will just find another way to construct another monstrosity anyways.
Probably, but not one based on the biological structures of Angels, and as such, in no danger of creating another "impact".

DatDude wrote:Umm Unit 2 was dead but the flesh was not burned away you could use that.
It seemed to me that there was an explosion or something. I could be wrong... Reichu has answered this anyway, it was destroyed.
Also the MAGI computers around the world probley had the data to create more in the lab.
I tend to doubt it. DNA is very complex. You need multiple supercomputers, and banks of dedicated gene-sequencers to assemble even a small fragment of artificial DNA in the lab, and it takes months. What they normally tend to do is take a base organism, and then splice in the DNA strands which are different from that base, as far as I understand. Considering that Evas are a whole differrent genus, that does not occur naturally, I doubt they could make it work, myself. Also, I suspect that the Magi may have been damaged beyond repair in the chaos of Third Impact.
Last edited by Soluzar on Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Natsukashii, ne?

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”