What do you think Evangelion's message was?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

What do you think Evangelion's message was?

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:12 pm

What do you think that Evangelion's message is: despair, or hope?

By the end of the series, everything has gone south:

Rei is dead and replaced with a clone.
Asuka is catatonic.
Shinji is completely metally destroyed.
Kaworu is dead.
Kaji is dead.
Misato is heartbroken over the above.
Ritsuko has finally snapped.
Touji is a cripple.
Kensuke, Hikari and co. are all gone, and took Pen2 with them.
SEELE and Gendo's plans are about to come to fruition.

Then EoE happens, and all life on the planet may as well be dead, save Shinji and Asuka.

Now then, in what is possibly the series greatest mind screw, Yui says that life may have the chance to come back, if they wish to do so. (Never mind that there is no way she could have possibly predicted what would happen....)

Do you think that the ultimate message here was that there is always hope?

Or is it that all life has no meaning, and we're better off LCL?
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Mongoosedog
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mongoosedog » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:19 pm

i'm gonna go with hope, if an emotionally screwed up 14 year old e.m.o decides that humanity has a chance then i think it just might be so
I have no signature!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Whatdo you think Evangelion's message was?

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:37 pm

Series -- break out of your shell
EoE -- if you just curl up in a ball, don't be surprised if your world goes to shit around you
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:46 pm

Stay in school, don't do drugs, become a therapist, and don't rely and teenagers with traumatic pasts to defend the Earth.

Seriousnessness:
Series: Try not to be afraid of others
EoE:"If someone says you are a God say 'yes'!"

EDIT:

I can also quote Forest Gump. "Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are gonna get."
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Holy Diver » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:06 pm

A sort of hopeful despair. The old order has been demolished. Everything that once was has been swept away. Mankind has a chance to experience a new genesis, but only if he chooses to act. This ability of choice and its connected doubt is the cause of the despair.
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:11 pm

Take care of yourself.

Iam(not)toji
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Iam(not)toji » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:12 pm

I think that this is the great thing about Eva, it doesn't really have an ultimate message. Not to use any senior english class cliche's or anything, but it really is the question minus the answer, and it's up to the audience to figure it out for themselves.
"No one can justify their existence by linking their happiest memories into a kind of rosary." -Train Rei

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:32 pm

stop watching cartoons and go outside and meet people.

:thumbsup:

Ok for real.

Take the risk at getting hurt and let people in because if you don't your not really living.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:13 pm

When life hands you lemons, make everybody into orange juice.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:40 pm

Hope. The message the show conveys is hope. That as long as you are alive there is always the chance things could get better, you just have to try and reach for it.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:36 pm

Always monitor what your children watch.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: What do you think Evangelion's message was?

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:59 am

CyberXIII wrote:Or is it that all life has no meaning, and we're better off LCL?

The TV series' conclusion kinda followed that message, or at least used LCL as a metaphor of honesty used to build relationships. Almost everything in the series before that was either a lie, or just hidden from other characters, whereas after Impact, everyone saw each others' true selves or potential.

We see an example of that when everyone can "see" Shinji for who he really is after Impact, then helping him to realize the control he has to become whoever wants to be, simply by working at it.

EoE I think followed a slightly different message. Even though everyone could option back from the LCL to Humanity again, it still had a message of using honesty to build relationships. Instead of having Impact force us into that, it instead suggested that each individual needs to build the intestinal fortitude to be honest despite the walls, or "AT Fields" others put up.

An example of that is Asuka's Mind Rape episode Don't Be, where she' mentally screaming at Shinji, "Why are you here? You don't care about me! You don't even hold me!" (paraphrased english dub). Then after Impact in EoE, and we see Shinji and Asuka outside of the LCL, she finally breaks out from behind her "AT Field" and literally reach out to Shinji, touching his cheek. After which, Shinji breaks from his "AT Field", stops choking her, and begins to cry. Again, this is all despite all of the "skeletons" being ripped out of the "closet". We know this because Asuka responds to all of the things she might have seen during Impact (his "little jerk-off fantasies"), and replies "How disgusting."

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Re: Whatdo you think Evangelion's message was?

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:14 am

Mr. Tines wrote:Series -- break out of your shell
EoE -- if you just curl up in a ball, don't be surprised if your world goes to shit around you

Couldn't have said it better myself. :thumbsup:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Teague » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:47 am

When God gives you lemons you FIND A NEW GOD!!!!
"Don't you touch a hair on that boy's head! Have you no respect? He's mine! Get your own human play-thing, you quartz-brained little creampuff!"- Bernard Black
"Kaji was the most heartbroken and shattered over Kaji's death besides Misato." -AuraTwilight
Self-admitted meme-whore.
Unashamed troper.
O-sensei's House of a Thousand Hearts: Lest We Forget

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:50 am

The series... You have the right to be here, just because you are - you don't have to deserve a place in the world through deeds and approval.
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:32 pm

Life is a story you're telling yourself -Spanbauer
"I would like to see a clown remake of 'Terms of Endearment' or 'The Thorn Birds.' Or maybe a big disaster movie, like 'Towering Inferno.' That's stuff I'd pay to see. Nothing says entertainment more than burning clowns."

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:00 pm

EoTV: Take care of yourself.

EoE: I need you.

The episode titles for each take of the final (TV series and the film) sum up my personal views of the series as a whole nicely actually. And the titles make sense considering caring for yourself SHOULD come before caring for others.

Also of interest is the fact we see episode titles flash across the screen from episode 01 ("Angel Attack") to episode 26 ("The Beast that shouted love at the heart of the world"), "Death", then "Air" during the Komm Susser Tod sequence.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:04 pm

life sucks. shit happens. you're screwed anyway.

but no, really, to me it was something along the lines of "pain lets you know you're alive. deal with it." or, with a slightly more hopeful edge: "you have to go through suffering in order to achieve happiness."

to be honest, though, EVA, as amazing as it is, always seemed to me like it was more of an "ok, look here: THIS IS WRONG. do NOT do this" kind of series rather than a "listen, here's how you should act..." one. the actual message was in a negative sense, and you sort of make your own positive from that. as in, it didn't teach me to break out of my shell; instead, it showed me i am inside a shell. i take whatever i want from that, then.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:30 pm

The moral of the entire story?

"Dude, she's like in a coma!"

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:50 pm

Iam(not)toji wrote:I think that this is the great thing about Eva, it doesn't really have an ultimate message. Not to use any senior english class cliche's or anything, but it really is the question minus the answer, and it's up to the audience to figure it out for themselves.
This is the best answer, methinks. NGE doesn't really peddle a message. I think that's one thing that confuses and frustrates so many people. NGE is an expression of an experience, not a dime-store, Dr. Philian didactic work. It's part of what makes it so rich, ambiguous, and open to interpretation.

That said, I do think there's a definitely "hope" element in it. But I'm reminded of what was said in the commentary of Children of Men that hope can only exist when life is at its shittiest; otherwise, we have no need for hope. That's why the final scene of EoE is so brilliant, because the "hope" it gives us in Asuka's caress doesn't erase the oppressive pessimism of the scene; it just gives us a glimmer of light that there's a possibility of things being alright eventually.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”