Is it wrong to like Rebuild better than NGE?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
offthechainjoe
Embryo

Is it wrong to like Rebuild better than NGE? [Spoilers]

Postby offthechainjoe » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:25 am

(....Hopefully I get enough replies to this topic so I don't look like a ranting idiot...)

I'm 16, I just got into Evangelion early this year... I have seen all the episodes from the anime and EoE. Honestly, after I finished all of it, I felt really gloomy and sad. I've never felt that way about a show or anime, but I felt it ended on such a down note.... I still thought it was really good though.

I got really excited when I learned about Rebuild. I managed to find and watch the sub version of it and thought it was good, but more or less the same story with new animation and a few new scenes.

After I finished 1.0, I searched the internet for the Camrip of 2.0 and found it. I loved it. I personally felt the plot's more tied together than the original anime.

What I think I liked the most were some changes in the characters. I know that almost everyone despises Shinji and I can understand that. He was a huge wuss in the NGE. However, maybe I'm wrong, but I really did feel like Shinji grew a few balls in 2.0 (specifically at the end).

I love his fight scene with Zeruel. I also felt like he was stronger than his NGE counterpart when he rescue's Rei from the Angel.

What I like about Asuka (who I like also) while still bitchy, is more open about her feelings towards Shinji. I'm not saying I'm looking forward to some fantasy ending with a wedding, kid, etc.) I just like that there's less hostility between the two of them. Hopefully, we won't have another choking scene in Rebuild.

So... Does it make me not a true Eva fan if I personally appreciate Rebuild more than the NGE series and EoE? Don't get me wrong, I respect the original series as the parent of the franchise and one of the best series of all time and I know some of you probably believe that Rebuild is nothing compared to the original. However, I still like it and enjoy it. It is, after all, meant to be an enhanced version of the original.

...Now, if you've read all that, and assuming you've seen the first 2 Rebuilds, I have a quick question...

1.) Do you think the Rebuild series is going to end with Human Instrumentality taking place and everyone being converted to LCL and Shinji and Asuka are left on the beach again or is it supposed to have a completely different (and hopefully) less bleak and confusing conclusion?

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:28 am

This belongs more in the rebuild subforum. You should have also used the spoiler tags in a little bit of your story also.

Also there is nothing wrong with liking Rebuild more than the original. Just because you like it more than NGE doesn't make you any less a "true" fan or whatever.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

Postby esselfortium » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:39 am

So far I like Rebuild a lot, for the same reasons you do....though
SPOILER: Show
the Unit-03 disaster makes me not really want to watch 2.0 again for a while, for the same reason that episode 18 and the events leading up to it in the series make me want to yell at my TV. >_<

Depending on how the third and fourth movies play out, my opinion might change completely, but hopefully not. AFAIK it's been stated that it's going to have a completely new ending, though the actual extent of the newness hasn't really been talked about. I, too, am hoping for something that's a bit less bleak, but at this point it's anyone's guess.

Adekis
Ramiel
Ramiel

Re: Is it wrong that I personally like Rebuild better than N

Postby Adekis » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:00 pm

offtheCHAINjoe wrote:So... Does it make me not a true Eva fan if I personally appreciate Rebuild more than the NGE series and EoE? Don't get me wrong, I respect the original series as the parent of the franchise and one of the best series of all time and I know some of you probably believe that Rebuild is nothing compared to the original. However, I still like it and enjoy it. It is, after all, meant to be an enhanced version of the original.

You kidding? It just means you enjoy one continuity more than another, like how I like EoTV more than EoE (ignoring that they're technically supposed to be the same ending). You're fine. Now, if you liked, say, GaoGaiGar more than Eva, we might have a problem.

(with apologies to everyone who likes GaoGaiGar more than Eva, even though they shouldn't exist.)

Do you think the Rebuild series is going to end with Human Instrumentality taking place and everyone being converted to LCL and Shinji and Asuka are left on the beach again or is it supposed to have a completely different (and hopefully) less bleak and confusing conclusion?

Could be. But I think it'll be a little less confusing no matter what happens, just because... I'm an optimist. I have no reason to believe it will be, I just think it'll be better.
"Why do you foolish Lilin assume you can control me? 'Cause you can't control me!" - My take on the relationship between SEELE and Kaworu
"[Eva] is a story where the main character witnesses many horrors with his own eyes, but still tries to stand up again.
It is a story of will; a story of moving forward, if only just a little." - Hideaki Anno

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:38 pm

offthechainjoe wrote:I personally felt the plot's more tied together than the original anime.

That's probably because Anno was just making shit up as he went along when he did the original series. lol Werewolf Asuka.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby ath » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:52 pm

BrikHaus wrote:That's probably because Anno was just making shit up as he went along when he did the original series.

Some people think he's now doing the same thing with Rebuild...

Adekis
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Adekis » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:33 pm

Of course he is.
That's what everyone who ever writes a story is does at some point during the process, otherwise it can't get done.
The difference is, now he isn't suicidally depressed.
(To my knowledge, anyway. Can anyone confirm this?)
"Why do you foolish Lilin assume you can control me? 'Cause you can't control me!" - My take on the relationship between SEELE and Kaworu
"[Eva] is a story where the main character witnesses many horrors with his own eyes, but still tries to stand up again.
It is a story of will; a story of moving forward, if only just a little." - Hideaki Anno

Rock-Slash
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Rock-Slash » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:46 pm

BrikHaus wrote:
offthechainjoe wrote:I personally felt the plot's more tied together than the original anime.

That's probably because Anno was just making shit up as he went along when he did the original series. lol Werewolf Asuka.

So, the two years of wait, the changes in the preview and the "updated" versions of 1.0 were all part of the scenario?

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Legendary » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:50 pm

Just because a story changes doesn't mean it wasn't thought out. Read JK Rowling's website. She recounts a few things for the books she had planned to use but never got around to, even to the point of adding completely different characters to fill the gaps.

Note that the Eva runthrough part of the preview was chronologically accurate. Note also that scenes get cut - like the apparent slap scene. It happens all the time.

But to answer the question: no, it's not wrong to like Rebuild more. I like the faster pace and how the character development remained as fast paced as 1.0's/opening NGE's was.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:52 pm

BrikHaus wrote:That's probably because Anno was just making shit up as he went along when he did the original series. lol Werewolf Asuka.

That was Yamashita.

The "how do you think it will end?" stuff is material for a totally different thread. Stay on target.

And, yes, it is morally reprehensible to like Rebuild more. Shame on you.

(How many threads do we need for people to express their "Rebuild vs. NGE" sentiments, anyhow? Oh-so-slightly different initiation post, same basic outcome.)
Last edited by Reichu on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:10 pm

At the moment I'm not really sure which I "like more", I'd say I like them equally although I was personally blown away by 2.0 despite the crappy camrip.

Both takes of Eva have their good points and bad points, although I have really been enjoying Rebuild's improvements with various aspects: The Hell Train being in 1.0/Rebuild's take of the "Prologue Arc" already as well as how the first 6 episodes are redone to be, well, more interesting for one thing.

Of course, the original 6 episodes of the series are still good in their own right. I'm not really going to judge "which is better and which is worse" until the Rebuild saga is complete. But even if Rebuild ends up "better", the original NGE is always going to be important and special to me. It's how I got into the series to begin with, after all.

And to finally answer the OP question: No, there's nothing wrong with liking Rebuild over the orignal series, that just boils down to personal opinion. In terms of just how Rebuild will end at this point (Shinji and Asuka on the LCL Sea beach, or even the final scene having both Children in it); it's anybody's guess, but it was stated in Newtype years back that 4.0's ending is going to a different ending than what the series/EoE gives us (I forget the exact wording).
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby LiLi » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:37 pm

I'd say no one can tell you which continuity you're supposed to like the most. :kawaii:

Maybe your own preferences will change back and forth between the two as you rewatch NGE and Rebuild over the upcoming years, according to your own mood at the time. :) I hope you'll find some hidden treasure in each of them every single time you do that. ;)
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

Postby Holy Diver » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:02 pm

Is it wrong to like Rebuild better than NGE?

Yes. In so doing, you have committed a sin most unforgivable and must burn in hellfire for all eternity for it.

But really, you're free to like anything you want. However, Rebuild isn't over yet, it might just be too soon to make a judgement on which is the better.

1.) Do you think the Rebuild series is going to end with Human Instrumentality taking place and everyone being converted to LCL and Shinji and Asuka are left on the beach again or is it supposed to have a completely different (and hopefully) less bleak and confusing conclusion?

I hope not. I liked the ambiguous end of EOE, but it's time for a new (equally ambiguous) ending.
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby DatDude » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:06 pm

Is it wrong? No, it's your mind make it up however you want.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

roblucci01
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby roblucci01 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:43 pm

Parts of 2.0 I really didn't like, for instance the Unit 03 disaster and the first half of the movie really didn't impress me visually or in terms of story (Other than the Saha fight).

Besides that, 2.0 was pretty average, in my opinion. I did REALLY love the Zeruel fight. Had they not made the improvements to that in 2.0, I would've probably considered this movie quite mediocre. Nonetheless, I enjoyed it though.

And yes, you're fully entitled to you're opinion, dude. I may not be all that crazy about 2.0 but I respect you're opinion about it.
I hate the internet

sean_sean_sean_sean
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby sean_sean_sean_sean » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:08 pm

I know that almost everyone despises Shinji.

I don't.

Although I can think of plenty of protagonists who are selfless, heroic, strong and who have "balls" who I do despise. How odd :rei_meh:

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:14 pm

I may have stated this before, but those characters can if not usually do turn out to be Mary-Sues, S4. Eva wasnt meant to be the typical robo shonen anime where the hero defeats the bad guy, and everybody is happy or whatnot, although as much as I like Shin-chan, I think it would've been good or interesting not neccesarilly better, if Shinji got it together in the end, a screwed up atypical hero that breaks stereotypes but manages to save the day, or overcome their problems are much more interesting then your Naruto, Luffy, happy, healthy teenage poster children who have no problems, act happy all the time or whatever, and always seem to come out shiny. :sigh: :bored:

Rant finished.
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

sean_sean_sean_sean
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby sean_sean_sean_sean » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:20 pm

Yes, yes, this is my point, GGSS ^_^

Perhaps my last post came out backwards. Just to clarify, what I was saying in my last post was: I love Shinji to bits, and I can't stand most of those strong, selfless protagonists.

When I said "I don't", I was saying "I don't despise Shinji". Rei face was for deadpan/sarcasm/etc.

Sorry for any confusion. I should have been clearer.

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Eva 04 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:24 pm

I like both.The series was great and the movies are looking pretty great too.Although,the first two movies seem kinda rushed IMO but meh.They were pretty good regardless.The angel's designs are awsome too.Well,the one's after sachiel and shamshel anway.Ramiel remains one of my fav's because of it's new rebuild look.Same with Zeruel.Bardiel was meh.Could of done more with it I think.But I still like it.So,there's nothing wrong with liking Rebuild over the series like the others have said.You like whatever one you like.There is no right or wrong answer or opinion :thumbsup:.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Is it wrong to like Rebuild better than NGE? [Spoilers]

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:53 pm

offthechainjoe wrote:I know that almost everyone despises Shinji and I can understand that.

Not everyone. Maybe some but not most. I have nothing against him.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”