Renewal episodes menu

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

Renewal episodes menu

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:50 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right section to ask, but... has anybody ever seen a translation for the cut descriptions we see in the episode selection menu of Renewal (an example here)? They're separate from the script for each episode and, obviously, Platinum doesn't have anything similar.

(yes, I know I shouldn't be watching a Japanese-only release if I know almost nothing about Japanese ;))

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:41 pm

We've compiled them a long time ago (I may still have that huge file somewhere) and Reichu may have done some OCR on them. There were a few loose translations of bits and pieces but none of them seemed to be that useful (I think some of that stuff was just stuff out of the filmbooks).

Oh here is some of them: http://www.tesuji.org/dvd-menu-notes.psd

If someone wants to try to translate all of them, that'll be cool, but IIRC, there's not going to be anything mindblowing in them.

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:28 pm

Ornette wrote:but IIRC, there's not going to be anything mindblowing in them.

Thanks. Cutting and pasting them together must have been a pain ;)

I expected them to match the subdivision in scenes followed by the old Commentary but I see that's not the case. It seems I can't find any mention of "scenes" in the scripts included with Renewal or in any other online source... any idea about where that splitting comes from?

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:27 pm

*squints* So that's actually the menu from the Renewal edition? It looks just like what I have (2007 JPN box release) but I wasn't quite sure whether it was the same thing since the menus of the movie discs state Renewal of Evangelion proudly and bodly while those with the episodes... don't, I think? In short, thank you for the valuable information... ;)

On topic: I think I haven't really translated any of those so far because... they keep moving! (Okay, maybe I am lazy...)

:EDIT: @ ath: May I inquire about your signature?
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:50 pm

LiLi wrote:*squints* So that's actually the menu from the Renewal edition? It looks just like what I have (2007 JPN box release) but I wasn't quite sure whether it was the same thing since the menus of the movie discs state Renewal of Evangelion proudly and bodly while those with the episodes... don't, I think?

It should be the original 2003 release, other menus clearly state "Renewal of Evangelion". I was actually a little surprised that a Japanese release used the English "Neon Genesis" name in the menus instead of the original...

LiLi wrote:On topic: I think I haven't really translated any of those so far because... they keep moving!

You'll find that file above from Ornette useful, then ;)

LiLi wrote::EDIT: @ ath: May I inquire about your signature?

You're welcome. It's just a line from the Italian dub of NGE, a slightly more... "epic" translation of Asuka's "Because the truth eludes even us", from episode #25.
I know a lot of people hate EoTV, but that's really my favourite episode in the series.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:57 pm

ath wrote:It should be the original 2003 release, other menus clearly state "Renewal of Evangelion". I was actually a little surprised that a Japanese release used the English "Neon Genesis" name in the menus instead of the original...

So they 'recycled' the original 2003 edition to make the 2007 boxset... interesting! Well, I think the alternate Neon Genesis Evangelion title was actually chosen by Anno & staff as the "official" alternate "English" (sic) title of the show... I may be mistaken, but I think he mentioned it in one of the specials in the bonus disc.

You're welcome. It's just a line from the Italian dub of NGE, a slightly more... "epic" translation of Asuka's "Because the truth eludes even us", from episode #25.

Ah, I thought so! I knew it sounded familiar - that's because I have that DVD! It's funny how the Italian adaptation tends to go for that epic, somewhat "unnatural" feel...

As for episodes 25 and 26 - indeed, I know they seem to be somewhat unpopular but, I love them.

Thank you! ;)

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:35 pm

Everyone wants to complain about them because of the psycho babble, but I :heart: AU Rei! She just kawaii :kawaii: ! I have my own Reiquarium with Rei II, AU Rei, SIRP Rei and Angelic Days Rei! :naughty:
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:50 am

LiLi wrote:Well, I think the alternate Neon Genesis Evangelion title was actually chosen by Anno & staff as the "official" alternate "English" (sic) title of the show... I may be mistaken, but I think he mentioned it in one of the specials in the bonus disc.

I remember reading about it somewhere... I have to trust others as I can't really understand the Japanese on the bonus disk. And you're right - that's more Greek than English, really.

LiLi wrote:Ah, I thought so! I knew it sounded familiar - that's because I have that DVD! It's funny how the Italian adaptation tends to go for that epic, somewhat "unnatural" feel...

Well, different translators worked on different episodes, so the style changes slightly during the series. That "epic" feel is more noticeable in the last group of episodes. That's a bit of a shame, as the translation was almost always accurate and the voice acting was pretty good (but don't get me started on their horrible mangling of Japanese names... :()

LiLi wrote:Thank you! ;)

Ciao :wink:

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:04 am

Ciao :wink:

ath wrote:I remember reading about it somewhere... I have to trust others as I can't really understand the Japanese on the bonus disk. And you're right - that's more Greek than English, really.

Greek, indeed. IIRC, it's in one of the "Genesis" specials - not sure which one but I can look into it if you're interested. (Which Renewal release do you have, if I may ask?)

Would it be correct to assume there is no Italian DVD release of Renewal?

ath wrote:Well, different translators worked on different episodes, so the style changes slightly during the series. That "epic" feel is more noticeable in the last group of episodes. That's a bit of a shame, as the translation was almost always accurate and the voice acting was pretty good (but don't get me started on their horrible mangling of Japanese names... :()

*gurgle: Ah, now you've done it! :lol: I had managed to keep my fingers from going off on a tangent on the terrible, terrible mangling of the names last time... I mean, ASOOKA?! WHY??

TBH, I was too used to the Japanese dub by the time I came across the Italian one, and coupling that with the names-mangling... I never really developed enough interest in the Ita dub to make myself go through the whoooole thing. Which is a pity, really, since I do love some of the Ita dubs.

BTW, There's an interview to Rei's voice actress in the Italian release of the first Vol. of Michiko to Hatchin and she also talks a bit about her work in Evangelion - have you seen it?

PS: I was wondering, do you know whether there's a thread about dubs other than the English one on this Forum? For the sake of topic-ness...

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:53 am

LiLi wrote:Greek, indeed. IIRC, it's in one of the "Genesis" specials - not sure which one but I can look into it if you're interested. (Which Renewal release do you have, if I may ask?)

Ehm, I'm sorry but this Renewal probably isn't an... "official" DVD release :whistle:
(I do own the local DVDs, though. I was just curious to see EoE in a decent quality)

LiLi wrote:Would it be correct to assume there is no Italian DVD release of Renewal?

Right, Renewal was released only in Japan. The most "complete" version we can get here is Platinum, which lacks D&R and EoE. Here they're only available in the non-Renewal version (even lower quality than the crappy international Manga release they come from).
The video of the local Platinum (my 2008 box) doesn't come directly from the Renewal DVDs but it's a slightly higher quality transfer from the same masters. And they even kept it progressive! :w00t:

LiLi wrote:*gurgle: Ah, now you've done it! I had managed to keep my fingers from going on a tangent on the terrible, terrible mangling of the names last time... I mean, ASOOKA?! WHY??

Sorry ;)
Yeah, that was terrible. My friends look at me strangely when I use the "original" names, no matter what I try to do to correct them. Probably they thought the general public was too stupid to learn a bit of pronunciation. But even the English dub gets them right. >_<
But the dub has some memorable lines, and the performances of Gendo's and Asuka's voice actors are top notch.

LiLi wrote:
BTW, There's an interview to Rei's voice actress in the Italian release of the first Vol. of Michiko to Hatchin and she also talks a bit about her work in Evangelion - have you seen it?

Valentina Mari? No, I haven't seen it. Keep in mind that I'm not an expert in anime (NGE was the first series I watched, and probably the only one I really enjoyed). Did she say something interesting? It's a pity that our Platinum didn't include commentaries from them, it would have been fun.

LiLi wrote:PS: I was wondering, do you know whether there's a thread about dubs other than the English one on this Forum? For the sake of topic-ness...

I looked around but I haven't found something like that. Maybe a wiki page might interest someone?

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:38 am

LiLi wrote:*gurgle: Ah, now you've done it! :lol: I had managed to keep my fingers from going off on a tangent on the terrible, terrible mangling of the names last time... I mean, ASOOKA?! WHY??

*chokesnort*

you should probably stay away from the mexican dub, then.

:hitthetable:

LiLi wrote:PS: I was wondering, do you know whether there's a thread about dubs other than the English one on this Forum? For the sake of topic-ness...

i vote you create that topic, LiLi. god knows i could rant for hours about dubs in spanish... :whistle:

@topic-- ornette, are these just general episode descriptions then? i'm intrigued because i'd never heard of renewal before jumping onto this forum and my own crappy, very unnoficial DVDs don't have any descriptions anywhere :sweatdrop:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:25 am

Here are all of the compiled DVD menu notes (in Japanese).

http://www.evageeks.org/resources/renewal_dvd_menu_notes.rar

@carla: They're general episode description plus comments on some specific cuts in the episode. They don't seem terribly enlightening, from what I've gathered.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:37 am

ath wrote:Ehm, I'm sorry but this Renewal probably isn't an... "official" DVD release :whistle:

Oh. Oh, I see what you did there...

The most "complete" version we can get here is Platinum, which lacks D&R and EoE. Here they're only available in the non-Renewal version (even lower quality than the crappy international Manga release they come from).

NOT ANYMOAR, COME OCTOBER! :guffaw: *cue Renewal-Dub-on-DVD thread*

My friends look at me strangely when I use the "original" names, no matter what I try to do to correct them. Probably they thought the general public was too stupid to learn a bit of pronunciation. But even the English dub gets them right.

>_<

I find people actually correct me when I pronounce Japanese names properly... :lol:

@Reichu: Thanks for the link.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”