Shinji's Academic Performance

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Shinji's Academic Performance

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:07 am

Bit of an obscure point here, but an interesting one.

In the manga, it's implied by Touji that Shinji is in fact towards the top of the class acedemically. However this seems to be contradicted by the anime in episode #10 when it is revealed that Shinji didn't do to well in his exams.

Sadamoto might not be the first to assume that because of Shinji's quiet and introverted nature he might be more academically inclined or apt. I had assummed from the episode #10 , his general lack of confidence, and from his emotionally deprived childhood, that Shinji was possibly an average or below average student. However, he could have just let his grades slip under work related pressure.

Just on this Touji and Kensuke on occassion refer to Shinji as "sensei". Now I had assummed the two were being facetious, using "sensei" in the same way english speakers might use "buddy", "pal", "man" or some other throwaway remark. But is this in fact Shinji's nickname or the like? If so, does it refer to his introverted, perhaps meditative, appearance, or does to allude to his academic performance?

So, is it likely that Shinji performs at an above average level academically?
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:31 am

Didnt they only call him Sensei when they thought he was trying to peep on Rei? Thats the only time I can recall offhand.

EDIT: Ah I think they also did it when Shinji was complaining about Misato, anyway I think they only call him that when remarking on the way Shinji relates to women.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:23 pm

Well, ep#10 shows that he's not particularly with it so far as basic physics goes; so I'd expect that if he shines, it's going to be in the softer disciplines (the ones usually damned as "stamp collecting").

I guess that rote-learning Kanji may slow down other subjects, but thermal expansion was the sort of thing that would be a year or two earlier in the curriculum if he were in a UKan school c. 1970.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Ryo » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:50 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:I guess that rote-learning Kanji may slow down other subjects, but thermal expansion was the sort of thing that would be a year or two earlier in the curriculum if he were in a UKan school c. 1970.

In my school in we briefly covered that in the 8th grade, which is the same as Shinji is in. Might as well note that in Japan, children begin 1st grade the year they'll be six, while in Sweden they begin the year they'll be seven.
Asuka > Rei

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:32 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Well, ep#10 shows that he's not particularly with it so far as basic physics goes; so I'd expect that if he shines, it's going to be in the softer disciplines (the ones usually damned as "stamp collecting").

He certainly finds the problem difficult, whereas the university educated Asuka breezes through it. Nevertheless he is studious here, and would appear to have been sharp enough to come up with the solution to defeating the angel too.

Another tidbit to chew over. In episode #17 Shinji neglected to make Asuka's lunch because he was up late doing his homework. Could take it either way I suppose.

Ryo wrote:In my school in we briefly covered that in the 8th grade, which is the same as Shinji is in. Might as well note that in Japan, children begin 1st grade the year they'll be six, while in Sweden they begin the year they'll be seven.

I don't think I ever did thermal expansion beyond things get bigger when they heat up, once over. Alas, the coefficent of expansion had neer a look in.

Oroboro
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Oroboro » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:57 pm

work related pressure

Understatement of the century!
a Dream that never ends
a Love that never dies
like living on the other side of the sky
When everything’s an illusion
Life is neither borrowed nor bought it’s just something that you’re using
Nothing is my freedom
yet,
Nothing my cage
Man! it’s great just to be living
in the paradox age.

rb_182_
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby rb_182_ » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:14 pm

my thoughts on this - Well Shinji does suffer from self esteem issues alright. but that doesn't neccessarily effect his learning in school. In school he seems for the most part to pay attention, and in the first episode he is reading that NERV book that Misato gives him. so he must like to read somewhat. and also he is doing schoolwork while Asuka and Rei and swimming in episode 10 magma diver. so he seems to like work like someone already said 'because he is so quiet'. other than that they don't give you enough evidence that Shinji is very smart. but I think someone who pilots an eva that good is smart enough.
The Real Ending to Evangelion~~
Rei goes insane!!~~
~Rei is hope.. the hope that people will one day be able to understand each other, and Kaworu is the words... "I Love You". I think they are two beings that will always be watching over everything~

Mr. Bud
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Bud » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:55 pm

However a contradiction to the contradiction in episode 10 could be that of when Asuka said, "How can he get A's on tests and not in the real world?".

Hell if I know, maybe he took up drugs for a while at school. Caused him to slip for a little bit.

(First post. Whoopie.) :wink:

rb_182_
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby rb_182_ » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:14 am

Mr. Bud wrote:(First post. Whoopie.) :wink:

Welcome. I just joined a little while ago myself.
Rei goes insane!!~~
~Rei is hope.. the hope that people will one day be able to understand each other, and Kaworu is the words... "I Love You". I think they are two beings that will always be watching over everything~

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:50 am

It's my view that the manga can never contradict the anime, nor vice-versa, because they are in alternate universes. The manga cannot inform our reading(1) of the anime, and the anime cannot inform our reading of the manga. That's my view.

(1) It's a lit. student thing. You refer to "reading" and "the text" even when speaking of a film.
Natsukashii, ne?

rb_182_
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby rb_182_ » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:51 am

well yeah you can't compare them because the manga is done by the character designer. that has nothing to do with anno original work.
Rei goes insane!!~~

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:41 pm

Mr. Bud wrote:However a contradiction to the contradiction in episode 10 could be that of when Asuka said, "How can he get A's on tests and not in the real world?".

Hell if I know, maybe he took up drugs for a while at school. Caused him to slip for a little bit.

(First post. Whoopie.) :wink:

whoa, when did she say that?
he seems like he is rather studious (or perhaps that is simply his introverted personality), but it isnt like he is doing amazingly well (eva and his mental remains of his childhood are probably lowering his grades)

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:50 am

mmmmm....... I think its a bit odd my self.

I know that Shinji said something along those lines in ep 10 as well. Asuka reply was that her Japanese was weak ( or something along those lines)
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

Mr. Bud
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Bud » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:33 am

sadsadshinji wrote:whoa, when did she say that?
he seems like he is rather studious (or perhaps that is simply his introverted personality), but it isnt like he is doing amazingly well (eva and his mental remains of his childhood are probably lowering his grades)

She said it when they were fighting Leliel. When she was running to help Shinji while he was sinking into the Dirac Sea.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:10 am

Mr. Bud wrote:She said it when they were fighting Leliel. When she was running to help Shinji while he was sinking into the Dirac Sea.

She seems to be talking about his synch ability here, coming as it after his success in the harmonics test.
Asuka :(Fool! It's no use getting a perfect score only on the examination!)

Though perhaps she might be talking about his academic/examination performance in general. You could read more into Asuka's comment, if the translation permitted it.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:35 am

ummm...considering the fact that Shinji had finally surpassed Asuka in a sync test (last time i checked), the exam probably refers the the sync test most recently taken.

TheBlueTree
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby TheBlueTree » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:57 pm

Defectron wrote:Didnt they only call him Sensei when they thought he was trying to peep on Rei? Thats the only time I can recall offhand.

EDIT: Ah I think they also did it when Shinji was complaining about Misato, anyway I think they only call him that when remarking on the way Shinji relates to women.

why did they call him sensei anyways lol (off topic i know)

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:42 pm

TheBlueTree wrote:why did they call him sensei anyways lol (off topic i know)

Actually it's ontopic. It's half the reason I started this thread.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:41 pm

I think it's sort of the equivelent of calling Shinji a stud, they seem to be poking fun at how Shinji has trouble relating with women.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:31 am

where is a Japanese speaker when you need one?
though defectron may be correct

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”