Beast Mode Eva-02

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
trueno_twentyone
Matarael
Matarael

Postby trueno_twentyone » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:42 pm

Soul Fire wrote:Well It turns out that the American contingent that was involved in putting unit 02 in stasis were the lot respoincible for making the desision to let mari pilot it. Is that old news? It's just that you can hear the american/european guys on the loudspeakers opening up the stasis system for Mari when she is suiting up. Mari is kind of standing there in her bright pink plug suit looking rather unsecretive about the whole thing so perhaps she does have some big backers somewhere along the line. Perhaps Kaji arranged it.

somewhere in wikipedia, i've read that unit 02 was hijacked by Mari... is it wrong?
as for Mari, her cute pink plug suit is really hot!

Soul Fire
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Soul Fire » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:57 pm

somewhere in wikipedia, i've read that unit 02 was hijacked by Mari... is it wrong?
as for Mari, her cute pink plug suit is really hot!

As far as Nerv are concerned yes it was hijacked but Im sure I can hear an American voice on the loud speaker announcing something to do with unit 02 being taken out of stasis. My video player crashed my pc earlier so I cant use it at the moment to check. The americans know what is going on and sound like they are activlely helping her get away with it.

Any one confirm this?
Yes I know Im posting a lot at the moment but I really dont have anything better to do at the moment and it takes my mind off the phone bill....

trueno_twentyone
Matarael
Matarael

Postby trueno_twentyone » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:41 pm

i've tried confirming it, but sadly my camrip copy crashed...
i need to download again... *sigh* -_-

icomeanon4
Embryo

Postby icomeanon4 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:06 pm

I Accidentally Dracula wrote:
catinajar wrote:I was clearly just overawed...was just trying to make the point that rarely is a series/film/ any concept completely understood until its conclusion.

There's a comfort zone between completely explaining something prematurely and just randomly tossing it out with no explanation at all.

How can you possibly say that there's no explanation for this stuff when you haven't seen the whole thing? There's still 3.0 and Final! Heck, in the original series Instrumentality wasn't anything more than a word until the last two episodes!

As for Beast Mode, I saw absolutely no problems with it. The rods sticking out were totally plausible, as there's easily enough room in Unit 02 to fit them.
If the pen is mightier than the sword, the keyboard is mightier than the ICBM.

trueno_twentyone
Matarael
Matarael

Postby trueno_twentyone » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:13 pm

the beast mode was sick!
i love it!
:woohoo: :clap: :yippee: :jiggy: :boingy:

Soul Fire
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Soul Fire » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:42 am

How can you possibly say that there's no explanation for this stuff when you haven't seen the whole thing? There's still 3.0 and Final! Heck, in the original series Instrumentality wasn't anything more than a word until the last two episodes!

As for Beast Mode, I saw absolutely no problems with it. The rods sticking out were totally plausible, as there's easily enough room in Unit 02 to fit them.

Honestly dont waste your time. It's been pointed out numerous times already to no avail with regards to waiting and seeing. Also I liked beast mode as well. I thought it was impressive and fit the evangelion well.
Yes I know Im posting a lot at the moment but I really dont have anything better to do at the moment and it takes my mind off the phone bill....

mrkitano
Embryo

Postby mrkitano » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:29 am

I also thought it was kinda cool. Except I'm refraining from coining "Beast Mode", because it didn't look like a "mode"; more like a release failsafe codeword (-ish...whatever) that causes the Eva to reverse the pilot's normal input-output (like a self-destruct button). It really smelled like a red button. The girl was just able to counter it... cause she's a zombie-alien-cyborg-ninjapirate.
My limited Japanese heard Maya saying something about it being "dangerous".
It looked like Mari and the Eva's nervous signals were trying to one-up eachother for control(?), judging from Mari's struggle/mental stress.

Anyhow, it made sense to me. Rods and all. But these felt more like a stylistic choice, even so.

(I bet the rods are like those retractable blade knives they use in the movies) :P

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby SaltyJoe » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:34 am

mrkitano wrote:It looked like Mari and the Eva's nervous signals were trying to one-up eachother for control(?), judging from Mari's struggle/mental stress.

This could very well be the case. "Za Beasto!" mode looks like some sort of restricted Berserk state to me, so it would make sense that an effort of will is required from the pilot to keep the "monster" in check.

Soul Fire
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Soul Fire » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:12 am

This could very well be the case. "Za Beasto!" mode looks like some sort of restricted Berserk state to me, so it would make sense that an effort of will is required from the pilot to keep the "monster" in check.

It's a very similar situation as in the series when 01 sheds it's armour and Ritsuko comments that the armour was only there to hold the evangelion in check. This time round it has been shedded deliberatly.

Zith
Embryo

Postby Zith » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:35 am

Reichu wrote:The intimation that Mari is "weird" actually came as early as the original 2.0 preview. After the text "LILIN+ ?" (= Lilin along with unknowns ?), they show a bunch of Lilin characters (well... and Rei), then Kaworu, then Mari.

Hi.
"LILIN+" probably refers to Transhumanism - aka "H+" or "Human+". An intellectual and controversial movement pleading for the enhancement of human race via biotechnology. Of course, because of the specifically Japanese reasons you know, Anno certainly chose "LILIN+" instead of "H+", but this is the same meaning. That's just my opinion for the moment, but the last minutes of Eva : 2.0 heads towards this way. Mari seems to be bio-engineered.

This element, added with the first plug-suit stolen from Aim For The Top ! DieBuster *, and fact that Eva-08 is the only unit mentioned in the Eva : 3.0 teaser, dramatically suggest that Mari IS - partial, defective, incomplete, experimental, WTF - Eva-07. To be honest I do not like this idea, but severals tricks insinuate that Anno considers this weird turn possible.

* BIG SPOILERS ABOUT AIM FOR THE TOP ! DIEBUSTER

SPOILER: Show
Nono, the main protagonist of the series, is later revealed as Buster Machine N°7.

Sorry but english isn't my native language, and while I can easily read your board, it's very long and difficult for me to write it, so I do not developp the thing.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby SaltyJoe » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:11 pm

Zith wrote:This element, added with the first plug-suit stolen from Aim For The Top ! DieBuster *, and fact that Eva-08 is the only unit mentioned in the Eva : 3.0 teaser, dramatically suggest that Mari IS - partial, defective, incomplete, experimental, WTF - Eva-07.

Or that Eva-07 gets scrapped to provide parts for a possible reparation of Unit-02. Of course, everything can happen. And Mari did use a rather personal, humane tone when referring to other Evas.
Last edited by SaltyJoe on Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:48 pm

Zith wrote:To be honest I do not like this idea, but severals tricks insinuate that Anno considers this weird turn possible.
That sounds plausible, at least to me it does.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:38 pm

Mari is Unit 07, which was built on the moon. Therefore Space Robot.

If Mari's an Evangelion, does she have an S2 Engine, or is Shinji gonna have to stick an electrical plug in her butt every five minutes?

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:24 pm

What the hell, that idea is crazy but quite awesome

Still doesn't explain Shinji's ZOMG THEY GLOW eyes...

trueno_twentyone
Matarael
Matarael

Postby trueno_twentyone » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:21 pm

From my point of view, the beast mode is a thin line between sanity and insanity... a thin line between "normal mode" and "berserk mode". If unit 01 went 100% genuine berserk on it's battle with Zeruel, unit 02 went near berserk, but not that berserk. you get what i mean?

[Excessive emoticons killed with fire.]

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:14 pm

Xard wrote:What the hell, that idea is crazy but quite awesome

Still doesn't explain Shinji's ZOMG THEY GLOW eyes...

Shinji is the "lost number" Angel. The Key Kaji gave Gendo is his S2 Engine.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:24 pm

icomeanon4 wrote:The rods sticking out were totally plausible, as there's easily enough room in Unit 02 to fit them.

:facepalm:

mrkitano wrote:I also thought it was kinda cool. Except I'm refraining from coining "Beast Mode", because it didn't look like a "mode"

It's a mode, the "inverse" of whatever the normal one is. This sequence from the movie has been translated and a link to the dialogue was posted earlier. Check it out.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby wonderluster » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:30 pm

If Shinji happens to be the lost angel then does that make Yui an Angel as well? And if so, then wouldn't that mean that Shinji would only be half an Angel due to this father being human? Maybe then only Unit 01 would be able to initiate 3I? And questionably, this would mean that there are now two dormant souls within unit 01. If there (according to the theory) was the soul of Rei I in Unit 00, and unit 00's core was assimilated into Zu, and Unit 01 kinda took that core........Does that mean there can be a double berserker mode?
On the path to Universal Understanding.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:43 pm

wonderluster: First, Aura was pulling your leg.

Second, before this topic goes any more off-track, use this thread instead.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:52 pm

Everyone is an Angel ¬__¬ -On a side not my parents are fighting again ;-;-

This "Beast Mode" seems to be what Anno wanted to do with Eva 02 but never got the chance. I can understand the whole "trowing away the human side" or however it goes bit. The Evangelion are Human but Humans are animals and I guess that was shown with Beast Mode.

It looks dumb and cool at the same time depending on how its drawn but I do agree that it looks kinda FLCL at one point and I know they did not work together so don't say that.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”