How are you liking Rebuild so far? (ITT We tag Spoilers)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

How are you liking Rebuild so far? (ITT We tag Spoilers)

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:23 pm

After going through some of the threads, some people have voiced their displeasure of what Studio Khara have been doing with Evangelion. So, to avoid taking all those threads off-topic, I decided to start a new thread designed to talk about the forum member's likes/dislikes of the new films.

I'll have to do mine later since I haven't seen the first film in awhile and also because I have to review some of the new plot elements revealed in 0.2.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:32 pm

I liked 1.0 just fine, nice visual update of the TV show

2.0, I'm going to have to wait and see because...
SPOILER: Show
the craziness of what I've read on 2.0 makes me feel like I actually have to SEE it to understand wtf is going on
, same unfortunately will have to go for 3.0/4.0
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:36 pm

I know some fans have been complaining about the changes to Asuka, but like Ornette said, if you don't mind changes from the series, you should like Rebuild. (Supposedly 2.0 is better then the series!)

Based on what I heard about 2.0, I'm gonna like it. I felt 1.0 was a very good remake for the first 6 episodes of the series, too.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:52 pm

This is milking a series in the best way. Not in a crappy way like Star Wars. I'll suck the nipple of Rebuild and smile all the way to the end.

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:06 pm

1.0 felt like a waste. It had some nice animation and soundtrack but overall it was pretty meh.

2.0 sounds very cool though overall I still am not gonna make any comparison till the whole thing is done. Right now on the track it's going it seems like an interested take on the franchise, though I don't feel it will live up to my love the of the series.

Lagann
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lagann » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:25 pm

I loved the first Rebuild. Sure it was nothing new as far as story goes but I loved the original series and giving it a visual makeover made it even better,plus the Ramiel scene was 100 times better.
As far as 2.0 goes, what I have heard about it sounds great,but I wont know if i like it or not until I actually see it.But I have faith in Anno.

scarmullet
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby scarmullet » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:41 pm

I haven't watched 1.0 though I do have it on my computer. Untill I can find a subtitled version of 2.0, I wont watch it.
Me and my Droogs.
http://www.youtube.com/user/scarmulletpart2
Serindip LLC are Nazis!!!!

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:57 pm

IMHO, 1.0 was much prettier than the series, but otherwise it can't compare at all. I really loved many of the narrative tricks in the original that didn't make it into 1.0.

Example 1: In the original, the Sachiel battle was shown as a flashback. This increased its impact x10.

Example 2: In the original, after running away, Shinji finds Kensuke playing war and spends the night with him.

Example 3: The original captures the relationship between Misato and Shinji so much better.

etc.
Software Error. Press left mouse button to continue.
Guru Meditation #00000004.0000AAC0

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:08 pm

I actually kind of like that he doesn't find Kensuke. It's just too contrived.

Which is one of the reasons I like 1.0/2.0 a bit better than the original....

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:10 pm

So much analyzing the Rebuild...

I liked 1.0, a lot (ive watched it like 6 times), and I cannot wait to see 2.0 and all the others.

Also vv
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:14 pm

Well...

1.0 - Great, stayed true to the store other then a few small changes.

2.0 - Wut
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:21 pm

Action_Bastard wrote:REBUILD =/= SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!!

Except that 1.0 was a scene-for-scene ripoff, except for some shiny CG extras. If they'd bothered to do something original with it, then maybe I'd be able to judge it on its own merits...
Software Error. Press left mouse button to continue.
Guru Meditation #00000004.0000AAC0

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:25 pm

Overall I'm enjoying Rebuild very much. It doesn't have the character or emotional depth of NGE (how could it? that show was lighting in a bottle, something that won't happen twice) but it's great to see Anno approach his masterwork again and I've personally approached it as it's own work.

I enjoyed 1.0 excessively and have watched it far too many times over the past 2 years and it's exciting to know 2.0 is going exactly where I wanted this series to go to from the beginning- Into new and uncharted territories. I already accepted that they weren't going to reach the heights of character depth with people like Asuka so changes like making her more moe are alright in my book. If NGE was about a group of people then Rebuild is about and only about Shinji IKARI.

...im drunk.

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:26 pm

@Baz: His sig is ranting about 2.0 and reactions, not 1.0

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:29 pm

I love 1.0 and I still think the original series at the moment is still better. I can't wait for 2.0 and the other movies. I wounder what new ending that they will give us in the 4th one?
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Sammaeloo
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Sammaeloo » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:27 am

1.0 is what I expected to be and it was great. I can't wait to see 2.0 because things will probably be more clear once things come together on screen.
Seize the day.....by the throat....
I hate mcdonalds because their mascot is a creepy spooky clown who looks like he smells funny. Seriously every time I see ronald I think he's secretly some sort of rapist who turns people into hamburgers. Also their food sucks. -Defectron
Our plumbing is messed up and my dad will not call anybody because he's a cheap asshole. Fuck you old man, fucking call someone. Some of us want to stay sanitary. -backseatjesus

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:02 am

好きだよ<3

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:31 am

I liked 1.0 up to the conclusion of the Ramiel fight. I was uncertain at the point that it took the sudden left into the Pit of Voles. I hoped against hope that 2.0 might do a "with a mighty bound our hero is free", but with each trailer it became more apparent that it had gotten stuck there. And with what we have to date on 2.0 -- "Anno, I am disappoint."
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:28 am

Baz wrote:Example 2: In the original, after running away, Shinji finds Kensuke playing war and spends the night with him.

Personal opinion: i liked the "abridged" version of Episode 4 presented in 1.0. It had all the scenes that showed how much Shinji was burdened by his enormous task, and the bit where he turned back after reaching a destroyed section of the highway captured "Running away is useless" perfectly.

So yeah, i liked 1.0 immensely (especially after i had watched 1.11 recently).

I'm withholding my full judgement on 2.0 until after i saw it myself, but... "Too much Girlfriend of Steel." I knew that character analysis and development will be shortened drastically, but i know it could have been done differently.

Rei throwing a party and Asuka just blurting it out to Misato that she felt like she had to put on a facade to protect herself during a phone conversation are especially sore points for me. This stuff literally feels like the worst of faniction. But i have yet to see how it plays out on the screen.

And we still have 3.0 and 4.0 to get back on track, so overall i'm optimistic.

EDIT:
Spoliered according to advice.

Last edited by SaltyJoe on Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby JimmyWolk » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:16 am

SaltyJoe wrote: "Too much Girlfriend of Steel."
This (shouldn't the rest be spoiler'd? ;) )
At the moment I have trouble seeing Rebuild as canon, even as one of its own (I know it is one of its own either way, but... ah, you know what I mean). There's too many stuff like the one SaltyJoe listed that feels like WAFF-fic cliches, screwing with the characters, or rather questionable plot "forcing"
the "Let's shut a perfectly fine EVA-02 away to get an untested one with high potential risks (even without Bard, the 04 incident should have made people a bit wary)" just to eventually get Asuka in 03 and Mari hijack 02 being a prime example

On top of that, there's also me not being all that much fan of shiny CG, and some disappointment that some scenes I would have liked to see didn't make the cut (certain A/S stuff aside, I think the grand-scale Gaghiel battle with all those ships involved could have been awesome on the big screen
I know Clockiel fitted the narrative better, but from the sound of it, it also feels a little contrived to give Asuka at the very least a bit of a grand entrance: "There's the Angel, there's EVA-02, aaaand the Angel's dead after some ass-kicking...".
I guess we could add "meaningless new Angels" to the list, while we're at it.

But even with all that in mind, I don't "hate" Rebuild and am quite interested in hearing/seeing more of it. But not on a much bigger level than I'm interested in certain fanworks (in fact I'd probably rank some of them higher in both terms of (story-)quality and originality), or spin-off games and Mangas, as I have a hard time seeing it as anything else.
It's just too different and more importantly - though this is mostly in regard to the hearsay about 2.0 - I think I'll have a hard time taking it as seriously, which would even put it below the Manga on my list and that's saying a lot.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”