Evangelion 3.0 Speculation [1]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
John
Adam

Postby John » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:28 pm

My 2 cents:
They'll show Mari's (most probably) tragic story, and explain why she doesn't care about dieing fighting angels (well, having fun killing them).
We all will have sympathy for her... then she gets shot (Instead of Kaji). Since we already know they're trying to create the magnificent Real Evangelion, I don't think it's impossible they'll use any kind of method to get rid of the other pilots once that's done.
We'll destroy everything , and we'll keep destroying it until it looks like all the bad things -all the sad things- never even happened at all.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:07 pm

View Original PostJohn wrote:My 2 cents:
They'll show Mari's (most probably) tragic story, and explain why she doesn't care about dieing fighting angels (well, having fun killing them).

Spoiler alert: Asuka fights so hard in Q she goes back in time and becomes Mari. Also, the chronal radiation apparently makes her tits bigger.

John
Adam

Postby John » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:18 pm

View Original Postarkiel wrote:Spoiler alert: Asuka fights so hard in Q she goes back in time and becomes Mari. Also, the chronal radiation apparently makes her tits bigger.

From now onwards I'm going to re-check 541 times what I'm going to post. I didn't want to write it so obviously... but yes, possibly they'll split Soryu's characteristics on Makinami-Shikinami.
Mari is working covertly with Kaji, and even she had the "foreign-language-call-now-cold-stare-to-shinji"
Sorry for some offtopicness.
We'll destroy everything , and we'll keep destroying it until it looks like all the bad things -all the sad things- never even happened at all.

babyface
Embryo

Postby babyface » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:36 am

Mari is the key to the true something of a sequel theory and not the nonsensical one where Shinji wants another chance and somehow loses all his memories, with incredibly difficult to explain and harder to fit into storyline type gimmicks such as Sohryu being split into two personae. These things require the new viewers to have seen the original series just to understand what is happening.

I also think that all those common SEQUEL hints are just red herrings in that they are just allusions to the original series. However, I do prescribe to a restarting theory, just that it has nothing to do with the original series, but rather fitting it into Rebuild's own series.

She is the would be daughter of Shinji and Asuka Shikinami who meets Kaworu/Rei/Lilith and wants a reset since she grows up in a destroyed world and wants to see what a pre-3rd impact world is like (that is the entire point of the one random scene where she stares at the birds flying over the fully functional Tokyo 3 where she is clearly enamored). I would say since Mari is a symbol of the general Eva storyline being thrown into changes that, the original Rebuild timeline would end up similar to how the original Anime series ended up as, but not the exact same.

She won't call herself Mari Ikari-Shikinami as that would draw suspicions, so she gimmicks her name up ("illustrious" as a middle name is clearly a gimmick that a child would give themselves if they were making up a name, and Makinami is just a play on her first name being Mari as a child could sensibly make up as a last name if it was to be made up on the spot). As a child she was told bedtime stories of piloting the grand Evas, so that would explain her familiarity and immense enthusiasm with piloting. Her ability to smell LCL so easily comes from the fact that she grew up in a world with LCL as water. Mari can pilot 02 and synch so well with it off the bat because her grandmother's soul is in it and she states that the smell she gets from Eva-02 isn't bad. In previous drafts, there was a scene where Asuka feeds Mari, which can be construed as a mother feeding her child except with Asuka being oblivious to the significance of it in a typical Anno scene. Another draft outtake was Mari, calling Shinji, "Baka Shinji" at one point which would allude to Mari knowing what her mother would call her father as she was growing up. Mari's distrust of adults can be explained by the idea that she didn't encounter any adults growing up since there weren't any in the destroyed world. It also would make sense for her to be associated with Kaji as she would've learned from her parents that he was a knowledgeable spy that she could trust.

The reason why I think this is the case is that new viewers understand this storyline without needing to see the original anime series while at the same time appeasing to the old-timers of the franchise with a something of a sequel-esque flavor watching the entire film series from start to finish. This would also retroactively make all the Mari scenes make a lot more sense from a storyline standpoint, as at the moment, a large portion of the audience simply writes her off as a fan service/pointless/useless character.

Then the symbolic relations of the three girls to Shinji's character would be: Mother, Other, and Daughter, thus the similar "-nami" last names are represented and related to one another without any wacky angel magic involved.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Higher Learning... Now I regret referencing it. Bl

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:45 am

View Original Postbabyface wrote:She is the would be daughter of Shinji and Asuka Shikinami

Weigh that against this statement:

Mari, of Shinji wrote:"I see, so he saved us in the nick of time. I knew he smelled different."

Also, the entire 1st meeting, where she doesn't react at all as someone meeting a parent.

Anyway, I predict Shinji will save Misato somehow in the next film, as Kaji asked him to protect her in 2.22.

I know he did so already, but we expected that, and it wasn't really for her, we need one that definitively is, and fulfills what Kaji asks.

Perhaps she'll be, thanks to Shinji's help, one of the few NERV personnel who escape the "imprisonment".
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

SaVaGe
Lilith

Postby SaVaGe » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:40 pm

I know that Kaworu's line saying, "You haven't changed." or something of that nature about Shinji has been brought up earlier, but I never read anyone dismiss it as a bad translation. Any help?

I can't think of any explaination for the exact translation other than Post-EoE madness.
I'm SaVaGe and I am an Evaholic

Brainman
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Brainman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:14 pm

Sailor Star Dust -Quoted from the Quality Debate Thread (wanted to respond, but that seemed the wrong thread for this).
I do wonder if Anno/Khara for NME will properly pair Shinji off with whomever (giving closure for the audience and the characters in that sense), assuming romance will play a part in the next two films and not just 2.0's love triangle. Having to play the speculation and waiting game is a pain... Will Asuka Shikinami "get over" her crush on Shinji or something more (negative spin ala EoE or something positive) develop between them? Is part of the "grim direction" of 3.0 a total swerve (Or the overused term "trolling", if you prefer.) with Yui and Rei---or even Shinji and Rei--merging into one being, whether Eva or Lilin? And what's the deal with Kaworu and Mari's plans?

But regarding 3.0, I'm extremely curious on just what is meant by "the story will move swiftly in a grim direction". ( http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=11939) It's pretty exciting that things (judging by the Previews) are going to be so different from NGE/EoE, but I wonder if the tone really is going to be one of "earn your happy ending" or "Kill 'em all (for good!)" or what?

My expectation is for the movie to move forward in two arcs, The Shinji/Kawrou story and the Asuka/Mari story. As far as Asuka getting over a crush, well I don't think she's even going to be that worried about that aspect. I feel if they're going to spend time developing her this time she's going to have a crisis of trust with everyone around her, not just Shinji. Maybe she retreats for a time back to the puppet. The doll could even take on a more sinister life to it and it starts telling her all sorts of unhelpful things.

"See? Didn't I tell you? You didn't actually think they were going to look out for you, did you? Don't tell me you thought they'd try and protect you. Nothing ever changes. You're the only one you can count on in this world." Perhaps with the mental contamination angle the thing even speaks audibly. And it's at that point that Mari interferes and starts to break that cycle. Maybe they actually know each other, being that they're both presumably from Euro.

I'm also expecting Shinji to be separated from Rei mostly. She'd just be in the way in a Kawrou arc. And since the new preview states that Shinji wakes up next to Kawrou I'm guessing he's the one who pulls him out of Unit 01. If you're too squeamish to consider Rei being erased, there's maybe the possibility that Kawrou just left Rei stuck in Unit 01, so he doesn't have to deal with her while he works over Shinji. And I think Shinji's main conflict will be in dealing with the fact that he had a hand in destroying the city that he was to protect. Which will tie back in to 1.0 where Misato shows him Tokyo 3 and is saying that this is the city he saved. "Who do you fight for?" I guess will come up again. Those people? Yourself? Rei? His story will be less of an action story this time leading up to the end and more about him reflecting on his decisions so far. Whereas Mari and Asuka will probably fight the other angel in the lineup.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:30 pm

Probably more repeating myself from other threads or posts, but eh. What part of speculation with the long wait for 3.0 isn't repeating oneself nowadays.

View Original PostBrainman wrote:I'm guessing he's the one who pulls him out of Unit 01. If you're too squeamish to consider Rei being erased, there's maybe the possibility that Kawrou just left Rei stuck in Unit 01

Well, the reason I proposed "Rei and Yui merge" (I'm sure I'm not the first to say that anyway) is because Fuyutsuki waaay back in 1.0 was concerned that Rei within Eva-01 is "too risky", make of that what you will. (Could Rei and Yui merge body and soul? Risky because Rei could find out the truth of her origins, since she's still Yui-clone but her Lilith-status is unknown? Etc etc.)

Kaworu having "trapped" Shinji within Eva-01 and the being the one to "save" him from Eva-01 would be interesting... But assuming the theory of Eva-08 is a revamped Eva-01 is true ("quickening Eva-08 and its pilot"), we should get some sort of (twisted or straightforward) birthing imagery, maybe something like when Eva-01 bursts out of Leliel (which I also proposed before).

And yeah, I agree completely that Shinji being trapped inside Eva-01 and the aftermath is going to put him into big time introspection mode. Rei as of 2.0's finale having become his reason to fight, then Rei being "taken away", either literally with a new clone or due to the Yui=Rei revelation would be especially cruel. (And hopefully the NME!Rei to NGE!Kaworu parallels could be played up even more.)

But I really hope if Rei 2 sticks around, Rei and Shinji could have something of a family-relationship with one another instead of fear or uncertainty pushing them away. It would be refreshing despite the rest of the world going to hell. Then again, it would also be refreshing to see Shikinami and Shinji attempt to be on good terms, but a part of me still feels Shikinami could go Soryu-EoE-bitterness on Shinji's ass---unless the point of Shikinami IS to pick up and persevere from where Soryu was left off in EoE (the potential to become a good person is there, but only if she wants to change and work through her issues, first. EoE-Shinji too.).
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Brainman
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Brainman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:55 pm

Then again, it would also be refreshing to see Shikinami and Shinji attempt to be on good terms, but a part of me still feels Shikinami could go Soryu-EoE-bitterness on Shinji's ass---unless the point of Shikinami IS to pick up and persevere from where Soryu was left off in EoE (the potential to become a good person is there, but only if she wants to change and work through her issues, first. EoE-Shinji too.).

My guess with that is Shinji and Asuka won't meet each other again until the very end of Q. By which point they would have both gone through a journey and come to terms with whatever their obstacles are (or not, depending on how you see "dark turn"). With Asuka it will be about forgiveness (forgiveness not just towards Shinji but also herself, her mother, or whatever other grudge that's obstructing her personal growth this time). And with Shinji it will be about growing up and taking responsibility for his actions (for breaking tokyo 3, running away from his obligation to humanity, and in failing Asuka).

Also, I would play it as less about shipping and more about them coming to terms with their situation and accepting it.

With Unit 08, my instinct tells me that it's a different form of instrumentality catalyst. If Mark6 is Seele's trump card, then Unit 08 might be Gendo's (perhaps it's Liltih in Eva armor if the moon giant is to be seen as it's opposite). And to that end I would see Rei being the one to merge with it along with the Nebuchadnezzar Key (in a parallel with EoE). Whether it's Rei II or III, Unit 08 would then start to give birth to a godbaby ala Silent Hill. Then Shinji has to decide whether to stop it, possibly killing Rei, or let it happen.

That's my guess anyway.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Ah, those two... Star Trek and Eva. B)

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:29 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Probably more repeating myself from other threads or posts, but eh. What part of speculation with the long wait for 3.0 isn't repeating oneself nowadays.

Speculating how Hideaki Anno can hate, yet reference Star Trek as the same time, and if he will do so again.

Wait, I already solved this, nevermind, I'm repeating myself.

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Well, the reason I proposed "Rei and Yui merge" (I'm sure I'm not the first to say that anyway) is because Fuyutsuki waaay back in 1.0 was concerned that Rei within Eva-01 is "too risky", make of that what you will. (Could Rei and Yui merge body and soul? Risky because Rei could find out the truth of her origins, since she's still Yui-clone but her Lilith-status is unknown? Etc etc.)

It might be just because, through Rei, Yui could see what a massive ass Gendo has become, and who, more importantly, didn't take care of Shinji.

Mama bear is pissed off at Papa bear, and will now BITE OFF HIS FAT HEAD!

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:But assuming the theory of Eva-08 is a revamped Eva-01 is true ("quickening Eva-08 and its pilot"),

Wait, doesn't that make it EVA-07? Or am I wrong in thinking -07 is the fetus in -08? I know it sequentially doesn't make any sense, but thinking there is to be *9* Evas seems a little premature for now.

... Or is -08 the fetus? And -07 the mother? Crikes, I'm confusing myself.

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:we should get some sort of (twisted or straightforward) birthing imagery, maybe something like when Eva-01 bursts out of Leliel (which I also proposed before).

Wait, WHAT?!? What kind of birth is that, a C-section via C4?!?
Are you sure you didn't mean chestburster imagery? Image

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:And yeah, I agree completely that Shinji being trapped inside Eva-01 and the aftermath is going to put him into big time introspection mode. Rei as of 2.0's finale having become his reason to fight, then Rei being "taken away", either literally with a new clone or due to the Yui=Rei revelation would be especially cruel. (And hopefully the NME!Rei to NGE!Kaworu parallels could be played up even more.)

Which would require further deterioration of his relationship with Misato... but as I said, I don't quite feel that he's fulfilled what Kaji asked of him yet. That's got to pan out at some point, though I suppose it could probably be as an act of redemption for abandoning her out of said deterioration.

Yes, in fact, call it an inverse of EoE. Instead of laying about and being drag to his station, he instead gets to the Eva on his own, then does his best to save her, and succeeds, though perhaps only momentarily.

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:But I really hope if Rei 2 sticks around, Rei and Shinji could have something of a family-relationship with one another instead of fear or uncertainty pushing them away. It would be refreshing despite the rest of the world going to hell.

It be refreshing enough to see them as close, yet not as implied lovers. I get the feeling though, that if they do get closer, this will not be avoided.

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Then again, it would also be refreshing to see Shikinami and Shinji attempt to be on good terms, but a part of me still feels Shikinami could go Soryu-EoE-bitterness on Shinji's ass---unless the point of Shikinami IS to pick up and persevere from where Soryu was left off in EoE (the potential to become a good person is there, but only if she wants to change and work through her issues, first. EoE-Shinji too.).

Ah, always the optimist.

But I must point out, they don't seem really on "bad" terms in Rebuild, she just insults him in that *loving* sort of way. You know, the one where you kick them in the face to show your affection.

This time around, there was no possible way he could have saved her, and indeed, she might even been thankful that he was the one who (sort of) "stopped her".

She accepts Rei's feelings for him as they are, and offered to help let her to see them through. She accepted losing Shinji, and not with bitterness.

Perhaps the contamination could cause her to forget that, and instead focus on her negative feelings, but I wouldn't count on it. It's more like, if the two are forced to spend time together, she'll try to suppress her feelings out of guilt for Rei. To care for the feelings of "Wondergirl", Asuka, how you've changed.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

John
Adam

Postby John » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:45 pm

My expectation is for the movie to move forward in two arcs, The Shinji/Kawrou story and the Asuka/Mari story.

Interesting how we can suppose that Kaworu won't take control over Unit-02 like in NGE, but Mari "has" already.
We are getting a lot of changes of perspective.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Re: Ah, those two... Star Trek and Eva. B)

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:53 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Wait, doesn't that make it EVA-07? Or am I wrong in thinking -07 is the fetus in -08? I know it sequentially doesn't make any sense, but thinking there is to be *9* Evas seems a little premature for now.

... Or is -08 the fetus? And -07 the mother? Crikes, I'm confusing myself.

Check this thread out: http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=11454 Eva-07 wasn't mentioned in the Preview at all.

Besides that, I don't have much else to say.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Brainman
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Re: Ah, those two... Star Trek and Eva. B)

Postby Brainman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:02 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Check this thread out: http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=11454 Eva-07 wasn't mentioned in the Preview at all.

I'd say it's Mari's replacement Eva. With nothing outwardly noteworthy about it other than it's hers. Since obviously Asuka gets 02 back.

View Original PostJohn wrote:Interesting how we can suppose that Kaworu won't take control over Unit-02 like in NGE, but Mari "has" already.

We can also assume that her post angel spiral isn't downward this time since she makes it all the way to orbit after her contact.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Actually goes further than I intended, but well... Bl

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:18 am

Alright, so to put it altogether.

1. Rei will in fact take Kawrou's place from NGE, and she will die (perhaps in saving Shinji?) Emotionally devastated, Shinji becomes recluse and Misato then does or says something that upsets him, and they are estranged again for a good portion of the film.

2. Shinji, after getting caught up in the destruction of Tokyo-3 (caused by Ariel, who was long left unchallenged) and the NERV imprisonment, will run into/ is rescued by Kaji, who, before he dies, will once again tell him to protect Misato.

3. The Enterprise will show up. No, I'm not kidding. It will either be what takes Asuka into space, or will be used as a moon transporter, or some such. Asuka's fight happens.

4. Shinji shall save Misato to redeem himself for abandoning her to begin with, and assists her in completing Kaji/Mari's plan, which may still result in her death.

5. Shinji and Asuka are for a stretched period forced together, and Asuka struggles with her feelings while remaining mindful of Rei's (sacrifice?), perhaps reminding or telling Shinji of how Rei felt.

6. In his trying to replace Rei in Shinji's heart, Asuka and Kawrou come to blows. She's defeated/dies, Shinji then faces him instead, and kills him (once again), but not before Kawrou does something "Rei-like" that tortures his conscience.

7. Mari offers passing advice... a piece of her backstory is revealed, and she sacrifices herself in killing the final angel, and bringing her and Kaji's plan into fruitition (or maybe she tasks Shinji with the final part).

8. Mari leaves Shinji with info on SEELE's plans, however, it's too late, as they bring their "God" online, perhaps operated by a Kawrou clone.

9. Gendo Fuyutsuki and Yui initiate their plan, giving Shinji a revamped Eva with Rei's soul now/still inside. By the bond they share, their power completes the psudo-evolution to where they are on equal footing with SEELE's "God".

10. ... Uh, The Big O climatic finish (spoilers), this battle is not truly settled, but brings about the initiation of 3rd Impact.

11. Contemplation, Shinji, after having also lost Rei in the Eva, is now once again livid and ready to start 3rd impact... but stops, maybe it's Rei, maybe Yui, maybe it's his own fear, but something stops him, and he doesn't go through with it.

12. Ends with showing Shinji, years later, having not gone through instrumentality, therefore, he has not learned anything. He's still unwilling to let down his guard, and thus is suffering for it. Some reminder of the people he's lost is also present, reinforcing why he is like this. Cue bookmark Rei, driving him nuts one last time.

Brainman
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Brainman » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:29 pm

Brainman's Revised Vague Made Up Q Synopsis:
(the assumption is that it is a stand alone movie and will be followed by a forth movie to wrap it up)

Opening - An aerial combat sequence starts which is revealed to be a holographic training program for young Asuka. While she is in the training simulator a scientist and a general discuss Asuka's acceptance into the Eva program and there is reference to Asuka's mother ("Has she been informed yet?"). In this iteration Asuka does not witness Kyoko's death but rather is kept in the dark about it because her trainers don't want to impair her first baseline reading when being prepped for Eva synchronization tests. However, it is implied that she suspects something is wrong as she is struggling to maintain composure in the simulator. The sequence ends with Asuka failing the simulated mission (the scenario was an intentionally unfair 9 against 1) while the scientist and general coldly discuss her actual usefulness to the project. She sits in the cockpit in silence, the words "mission failure" in red in front of her. She takes both hands and places them on top of her helmet, then smacks the sides repeatedly saying "Stupid...stupid...stupid..."

Opening title screen

2.) Nerv Roundup - Multitudes of military aircraft circle the blown up Nerv HQ. Nerv personnel are being herded up by UN special soldiers (but are not being gunned down). Misato and Ritsuko are in an armored transport plane awaiting transfer to Old Tokyo to be detained along with the rest of key Japanese Nerv staff. Gendo and Fuyutsuki have gone missing. A foreign general lands nearby and is greeted by Kaji. Kaji is overseeing the transfer of power over to Seele, and acts as intermediary. Unit 01 is in quarantine where it stands. Mark 6 and Kawrou patiently stands guard nearby.

3.) Seele's Special Session - Seele's pissing their diapers over the 3I incident. Gendo's gone too far etc etc. Fortunately for them their "ringing bells" worked in this timeline (Mari and Kaji). They admit that their reliance on the Dead Sea Scrolls can no longer ensure their success. They (like the audience) are in a blind spot.

4.) Shinji's Dream - Shinji dreams of his mother. They are by the tree scene from the original (where Kuyutsuki is talking with Yui). Their reunion is interrupted and Shinji realizes he is on a stage. Rei is nowhere to be seen. He is suddenly alone. Shinji tries to find Rei or anyone else really. He sees Rei in the distance sitting in a folding chair and calls out to her, but she is looking away. He runs towards her calling her name.

5.) Asuka is ordered to be handed over to Euro along with Unit 02, but she is already missing. Unit 02 is being held onboard a UN carrier. The carrier mysteriously sinks as it crosses the ocean back towards Germany. Recovery is unreasonable at this time.

6.) Ritsuko and Misato - They are released but put under surveillance. Ritsuko proposes the extraction of Shinji. She is doing this because she says she wants more data on what happened during the 3rd Impact incident. The council agrees. They set up a plan to use the Gloriette 8000 Materializer, on loan from Euro, to extract Shinji and Rei. Scaffolding is built around Unit 01 to house the machinery.

7.) Asuka Awakens - Slight fanservice as she sits up, seeing that she's just wearing bandages, covers herself. She sees herself in the mirror and can't remember what happened. A doctor comes in to examine her and later an agent tells her coldly that Unit 03 was angel infected and was attacked by Unit 01. He does not explain the use of the dummy plug. Asuka is emotionally shaken and left alone to take it all in. Later on, we learn that Asuka and Mari know each other. Their's is a rivalry reborn right when they meet again. It turns out Mari was another candidate to pilot Unit 02 in the Euro program. Asuka won out in the end but Mari says it was because of strings pulled by her father, Dr. Soryu. They nearly come to blows a few times. Things cool as Asuka begins opening up and describes the betrayal she feels inside. Asuka describes never even having a friend while Mari always had the other child candidates take her side back in the old days. They call something of a truce.

They are in a secret facility owned by Seele. But Mari knows how to get around security there. Mari shows Asuka that Unit 02 is safe and sound as part of a gesture of trust. Mari also gives Asuka the black eyepatch to wear.

8.) Emergency - Half of Nerv's satellites have suddenly gone missing. They are being gobbled up by an orbital angel. Kaji is having a meeting with Seele itself when the connection is suddenly cut off. Eventually there are no man made satellites at all left in orbit. Nerv no longer has visual on the angel but they are picking up a broadcast from the angel's body, allowing them to calculate it's location. The signal is unintelligible but is being broadcast intentionally by the target. Misato is put on the case, and speculates on the angel's intentions. With only Seele's Mark 6 operational for them (or so it seems), it's as if they are fighting unarmed. The angel stays in a fixed position and won't move. Misato proposes that they wait. To her, it sounds like the signal is an invitation. And she doesn't want to oblige.

9.) Shinji, Come Out! - Meanwhile Ritsuko goes ahead with the extraction process. Kawrou looks on. Shinji in the dream world reaches Rei (after a bunch of stuff impeded his progress, possibly caused by Rei keeping him back). Rei admits that she has learned her true identity. Shinji promises that he will still accept her no matter what. At this point, as described by Ritsuko, their minds are beginning to intermingle from having spent too much time as tang together. Shinji sees part of her past where Rei is growing up in laboratories. As he goes deeper and deeper into Rei's past, she is heard warning him to stay back. But he finally sees Lilith and portions of the Second Impact. Finally he sees his mother in Unit 01. He relives his own memories from that day. The event of Yui being absorbed comes to a head while Ritsuko simultaneously activates the Gloriette 8000.

Shinji is overcome with horror and hatred for the world as he is being materialized. Rei screams that he can't go back with hatred in his heart and grabs him from behind. However she is being burned up at the touch of him. The imaginary world around Shinji starts to break down as the materializing machine tries to isolate them. Rei desperately clings to Shinji even while she is dissolving into his feelings of rage over losing his mother to Eva. Losing her to his father's ambitions. Shit swirls around him as everything breaks down. Ritsuko screams that something is wrong. Misato arrives in time to hear the alarms sound. Rei calls his name again and he finally notices her. She is disintegrating in front of his eyes. Ritsuko warns that they have to purge in order to save Unit 01. Misato screams out but it's too late, Ritsuko pulls the plug. Shinji puts out his hand to grab Rei's body but his own arm dissolves and she drifts away from him. He tries to reach out again, but she disappears. Kawrou lifts his head and smiles.

10. Extraction Failed - The plug opens up and the LCL spills out (like in the series). Misato cries out and runs out onto the scaffolding, but is stopped by guards. The LCL drips through the metal grating of the platform and spills down in streams to the ground below. Misato is devastated while Ritsuko leans back and ruminates that its the same as before. Kawrou is suddenly next to the Eva's core. Nobody knows how he got there so quickly. He reaches into the core until his arm is elbow deep into it. Kawrou pulls back and yanks an unconscious Shinji out onto the platform. Everyone is shocked. Ritsuko regains her composure and yells for someone to go grab Shinji. There are storm clouds swirling as Shinji wakes up and sees Kawrou holding him. He tries to ask where Rei is but can't talk. Doctors surround Shinji and Kawrou hands him over to them. Tears run down his face as he realizes that his anger may have destroyed Rei. The storm grows stronger as he is brought down the scaffolding.

11.) Another Emergency - With all of Earth's satellites destroyed, Nerv's intercept and detection systems are severely impaired. However a report comes in that an offshore facility has detected something approaching Japan. Misato has no time to check in on Shinji as she is ordered into the secondary command center (the old one is still in repair). The information is fed into the system and the orbital angel's location is still confirmed where it's been. The new data is analyzed and Nerv is faced with the daunting realization that there are two angels detected at once.

End of part one. Part two to follow when I sort it out.

Knuckles
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Knuckles » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:18 am

^ I like it. Very solid.
"It doesn't matter. This is all I need.."
"Rei is genetically his mom, socially his friend/coworker/classmate, legally his sister, spiritually the progenitor of the entire 'normal' biosphere, physically a mass of matter that ought not be, and technically (depending on which Rei we're talking about) also some form of the risen dead.

...and I still like Shinji/Rei."

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:22 pm

random thought, what if kaworu,Shinji,Rei and mari kill themselves in the most epic battle ever forcing Asuka to fight the last angle all on her own, later on she becomes the hero but she now has to carry the weight of everybody's deaths on her shoulders. This in the end forces Asuka to live a life of isolation and regret. rebuild ends like titanic with an old Asuka narrating the story to anyone that will listen, she never has any kids. because of the whole being a cyborg thing .
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Brainman
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Brainman » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:05 pm

^
What, you mean a story arc that somehow doesn't involve Shinji? I don't know. According to Khara, if an event happens in the movie that somehow doesn't relate to the main character, the audience's heads will explode.

Joking aside, old woman Asuka sounds great. Like, if she's feisty now, wait 'til she's 90. World class sass.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:53 pm

View Original PostBrainman wrote:^
What, you mean a story arc that somehow doesn't involve Shinji? I don't know. According to Khara, if an event happens in the movie that somehow doesn't relate to the main character, the audience's heads will explode.

Joking aside, old woman Asuka sounds great. Like, if she's feisty now, wait 'til she's 90. World class sass.
Japanese eva fans reaction when my prediction comes true. :scanners_head: lol
I should write a fanfic about old Asuka I have a feeling it would be interesting. On a side note I should never watch titanic while thinking of eva.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:00 pm

I would love a nice happy ending (and for a S/A end) but this is evangelion so I won't hold my breath
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”