Few questions

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
evils_death
Embryo

Few questions

•      
  •      

Postby evils_death » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:12 am

Hey, I'm new here and tried reading through the information because its just TOO LONG, includes too much discussion about symbolism (which I do not care about) and has too many half-cooked theories that does not seem correct. I understand there's many angles we can see Eva from, but please give your 2 cents.

1. what role did Asuka have in EoE? This one's because I remember Gendo saying something along the lines of "we can't lose unit-02) against arael, although that could've merely been an excuse to use the lance.

2. In rebuild, Gendo says something along the lines of "get Rei close to Shinji." Now I look back on it, this is also exactly what he did in the original series. Maybe he planned Rei to betray him :O?

3. Importance of Kaji? Aside from the obvious, he doesn't seem to do much of importance. However, during Zeruel's attack, was he waiting there for Shinji to stumble upon him? If so, why?

4. When the entry plugs malfunction/ some other technological error happens, is it genuine or Gendo Ikari pulling strings from behind?

5. Unit-00 = ai similar to magi computer?

Duke
Ramiel
Ramiel

Re: Few questions

•      
  •      

Postby Duke » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:24 am

evils_death wrote:1. what role did Asuka have in EoE? This one's because I remember Gendo saying something along the lines of "we can't lose unit-02) against arael, although that could've merely been an excuse to use the lance.

in EoE, Asuka destroys the JSSDF forces, realizes her mother's soul is in the eva, recovers from her near-coma, and gets killed, which gives Shinji a reason to bitch, moan, and scream some more.

Also, against Arael, Gendo says "After all, it is not acceptable to lose Unit-02 at this time." That is obviously referring to their plans of using the eva series to trigger third impact instead of the Angels.

2. In rebuild, Gendo says something along the lines of "get Rei close to Shinji." Now I look back on it, this is also exactly what he did in the original series. Maybe he planned Rei to betray him :O?

Here, I think that this means that he wants Rei and Shinji to become close, for his plans of 3i, both are necessary, and with Rei, it might be easier to manipulate Shinji if they are close to each other. That's just my two cents on the matter though.

3. Importance of Kaji? Aside from the obvious, he doesn't seem to do much of importance. However, during Zeruel's attack, was he waiting there for Shinji to stumble upon him? If so, why?

Kaji is there as a spy for both sides, someone for Asuka to obsess over, cause Misato a lot of grief, and leave fans forever questioning who actually shot him.

I think he was waiting for Shinji to stumble upon him, because both Seele and NERV needed Unit-01, so he was probably there to manipulate Shinji again.

4. When the entry plugs malfunction/ some other technological error happens, is it genuine or Gendo Ikari pulling strings from behind?

I think this one is really technical problems. I mean, every single time it's "IT'S NO GOOD, THE SYSTEM ISN'T RESPONDING!!", can't be Gendo's fault. Wouldn't it be easier for him to destroy the Angels if the system was working, anyways?

They must all be using Vista. Jk, I love Vista, rofl.

What?

evils_death
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby evils_death » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:57 am

1. Huh? I do not understand why Eva-02 is needed for Instrumentality? Also although she has her merits holding off the attackers, is that really all she’s there for?

2. Agreed, however, is that all Rei is for? And while I’m sure Rei was important during Instrumentality, what did she actually do? I mean, even without her, it is still possible to continue instrumentality.

3. Yeh, I agree, but I do not get what is the point of helping BOTH sides?

4. Before I asked this question, I should have asked is it possible for eva to run without a pilot if in berserk? I mean, sachiel was defeated BECAUSE they was unable to get Shinji out of there

5. Well, it is confirmed what souls unit-01 and unit-02 have, but what about unit-00? I remember Misato saying something like “this is the same technology used in eva” (referring to magi computers), so I hazard a guess that unit-00 was a computer Yui (it was said that unit-00 and unit-01 is similar, and this is the only explanation I can think of). Makes a bit of sense, as unit-00 is a prototype a soul in a robot is not a natural conclusion that scientists will think of.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Few questions

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:42 am

>1. what role did Asuka have in EoE?
Sacrifice/casualty. We don't know what Team Soryu's role would have been if SEELE hadn't pre-empted Gendo's launch of 3I

>2. "get Rei close to Shinji."
Given that this backfires in the end as Rei abandons Gendo in favour of Shinji, it's really not clear what his motivation was in that scene

>3. Importance of Kaji?
Shinji's aniki (only without the groovy shades)

>4. When the entry plugs malfunction
It depends -- episode 17 is enemy action; episode 19 is Yui getting stroppy

>5. Unit-00 = ai similar to magi computer?
Something akin to Rei (see Shinji's experiences while synching EVA-00 in episode 14); assumption -- another fragment of Lilith's soul.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

evils_death
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby evils_death » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:30 am

1. Ah, good point. The invasion may have screwed up Gendo's plan... probably wasn't expecting the MPE to be completed so quickly...
2. Maybe he wanted it to to backfire... :O Ok, bit of a stretch, especially with the speech with Yui...
3. I see... so he may not be as much of a main character as some people perceived him to be... still, I do not get his motivation...
4. Yeh, but I guess they don't fail randomly, like what some believe..
5. Damn, didn't think of this. I guess a major clue was that Asuka's mother soul also split, so this is very possible. However, if this is true, then unit-00's beserker mode before Sachiel is interesting... maybe it was Gendo's plan :P (the main way of getting Rei close to Shinji was to get Rei on talking terms with himself, and the main way of getting Shinji to pilot was showing him the half-dead Rei. Still makes my theory improbable, but still...)

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:33 am

1) Eye candy, fap material (for people in real life and the Eva universe).

2) He was trying to get his son laid. He is the überpimp after all and Rei is one of his finest ladies.

3) Dude likes melons. Shinji just caught him at the right time.

4) If you watch episode 11 you can see him clearly pulling the strings on the entry plug.

5) Yes, Unit-00 has similar love to the MAGI.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

rberlin
Adam

Why Gendo wants Rei and Shinji to draw closer.

•      
  •      

Postby rberlin » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:05 pm

In Rebuild, Seele is going to try to start 3rd Impact by getting a human and an angel to fall in love. Seele is planning on using Captian Shikinami and Kaworu and hoping love will bloom on the battlefield in their war against the Angels.

Of course Gendo has plans of his own and is getting Rei and Shinji closer together in a race against Seele to see which couple falls in love first.

But the scorned Naoko Akagi, after faking her suicide and well aware of the sinister plans of both Keel and Gendo has trained Gendo's own illegitimate daughter Mari, the product of their affair, to infiltrate Nerve with the help of a loyal splinter group of former Gehern members including Kaji and Aoba, and steal Shinji and Kaworu's attention.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:17 pm

^
:clap:

Anno would totally do something like this.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:08 pm

^^ After the first paragraph I stopped reading and went out to shoot something. AKA.... NO
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Why Gendo wants Rei and Shinji to draw closer.

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:33 pm

rberlin wrote:Seele is planning on using Captian Shikinami and Kaworu and hoping love will bloom on the battlefield in their war against the Angels.

:thumbsup:

That also fits in with a Shinji/Mari end, though.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

xfactor30seconds
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby xfactor30seconds » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:31 pm

1. what role did Asuka have in EoE?
It's because all the evangelions were essential in finishing the instrumentality project.

2. In rebuild, Gendo says something along the lines of "get Rei close to Shinji."
sorry i didnt see rebuild

3. Importance of Kaji?
He tells Misato stuff so she tells Shinji
basically he informs the people who were left out and changes their thinking from that point on.

4. When the entry plugs malfunction/ some other technological error happens
sometimes sometimes its SEELE
for example EOE Gendo didnt plan for the committee to decide to just start instrumentality but because its Gendo he didnt completely rule it out.

i dont understand the question srry O_o
http://myanimelist.net/profile/xfactor30seconds

my anime list :)

Evangelion Geeks GOOOOOOO
lol yeah

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:30 am

xfactor30seconds wrote:5. Unit-00 = ai similar to magi computer?
i dont understand the question srry O_o

The soul in Zerogouki

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:21 pm

Gendo doesn't say anything about protecting Eva-02 during Arael's attack, he's protecting Eva-01 because it's part of his plan, aside from Rei, the other pawns are expendable:
Episode 22 wrote:Misato:
Should we transport Unit 00 into the air and snipe it from there?
No, that won't work. It'll all be over if we get shot down on the approach.

Shinji (RADIO - OFF):
I'll go out there in Unit 01!

FUYUTSUKI:
No! The target corrodes the pilot's psyche.

IKARI:
Right now, we must avoid the corrosion of Unit 01.

Shinji:
Then I just have to keep from getting hit, right?!

IKARI:
Your success is not guaranteed.

Shinji:
But at this rate, Asuka will...

IKARI:
I don't care. Rei, go down into Dogma and use the Lance.

The goal here is to kill the Angel, not to save Asuka.

We don't know what's going to happen in rebuild.

Kaji is the reason Misato becomes who she is towards the end of the series and EoE, he's a supporting character, so most of what he does moves the plot along.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Why Gendo wants Rei and Shinji to draw closer.

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:15 pm

rberlin wrote:In Rebuild, Seele is going to try to start 3rd Impact by getting a human and an angel to fall in love. Seele is planning on using Captian Shikinami and Kaworu and hoping love will bloom on the battlefield in their war against the Angels.

Of course Gendo has plans of his own and is getting Rei and Shinji closer together in a race against Seele to see which couple falls in love first.

But the scorned Naoko Akagi, after faking her suicide and well aware of the sinister plans of both Keel and Gendo has trained Gendo's own illegitimate daughter Mari, the product of their affair, to infiltrate Nerve with the help of a loyal splinter group of former Gehern members including Kaji and Aoba, and steal Shinji and Kaworu's attention.
FCUKWIN :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:40 pm

In Rebuild, Seele is going to try to start 3rd Impact by getting a human and an angel to fall in love. Seele is planning on using Captian Shikinami and Kaworu and hoping love will bloom on the battlefield in their war against the Angels.

and Mari falls in love with Shinji and gives him ultimate power over the fate of the planet, for she is a FAR and her power is above both Adam and Lilith.[/quote]

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:36 pm

Which in this scenario allows Shinji to indulge in incest with both his mother and his half-sister.

Good times.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Twsa'teotu
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twsa'teotu » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:39 pm

Kaji is a triple agent working for the Japanese national government.

Seele thinks he's spying on Gendo for them, while Gendo thinks Kaji is *his* spy....really he's playing them against each other

***Kaji really just personally wants to take down Seele and Nerv and learn "the Truth"....his goals happen to coincide with that of the Japanese government's intelligence branch, so they work together. But it's not out of national loyalty or anything.

The idea they only make clear in deleted scenes, is that Kaji stole Adam from Seele in episode 8 (he must have faked it because they only realize he's stolen such a valuable item by episode 21)

Seele sent Kaji to Nerv to spy on Gendo....meanwhile, Gendo thought he was a double-agent, because he apparently betrayed Seele to give Gendo Adam

it turns out he's a TRIPLE agent, because he only stole Adam from Seele to gain Gendo's trust, when he was really investigating Nerv's inner secrets...not for Seele, but for the Japanese government. This culminates in him finding out about Lilith and Terminal Dogma, and that the supposed "candidate screenings" by the Marduk Institute are fake and they're really hand-picked by Nerv and put in Class 2-A for safe-keeping

As for Kaji's death, well he kidnapped Fuyutsuki because Seele demanded it, but apparently he set him free because Kaji found out that Seele discovered he had stolen Adam, and he would be killed soon. They didn't bother to re-kidnap Fuyutski, because they wanted to be able to threaten Gendo that they could "replace" him with Fuyutski if they needed to, so they could kill Gendo if they wanted and still have Nerv function.

In the long run, Kaji's role in the meta-arc is that while he died for snooping around too much, he passed on his knowledge to Misato, so that she knows what's going on by End of Eva, which starts with her using the info Kaji gave her to crack into Gendo's most secret files.
Question: "who the hell do you think I am?"
Answer: "My name is Mr. Snrub and I come from some place far away....Anyway, I say we invest that money back in the nuclear plant. "
"I like the way Snrub thinks!"

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:46 am

But it turns out all of that was wrong, and he was completely loyal the whole time. How does this work? Because Ryoji...is actually Kaworu. Being killed by a mere bullet caused him to merely regenerate Time Lord style. He was trying to romance Misato to get the only witness of Second Impact out of the way.

GVman
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GVman » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:29 pm

And the souls in the EVAs aren't their mothers. Instead, its the souls deceased hot-blooded super robot pilots Domon Kasshu, Ryoma Nagare, and Guy Shishio. It's blatantly stated in every single line of dialogue, but the letters are scrambled.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:22 am

Or alternatively, Domon, Ryoma, and Guy ARE their mothers!

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”