Black Moon

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

Black Moon

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:22 pm

I tried to search to see if this was done before and couldn't find anything relevant. I came across information that the Black Moon MAY have been based off of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilith_%28hypothetical_moon%29

"Lilith is a hypothetical natural satellite of Earth whose existence is not supported by any scientific evidence. In 1918 an astrologer Sepharial named the hypothetical moon Lilith and opined that it was dark enough to have escaped detection. The name Lilith is of near-eastern mythology, and (according to post-Biblical Jewish lore) was the first wife to Adam. The moon Lilith is sometimes referred to as the "Dark Moon," "Black Moon," or "Ghost Moon". Lilith was incorporated into horoscopes and some astrologers use it in their calculations to this day."

It's also apparently treated in hypothetical astrology as representing the "unnatural" or "the intrusive", which reflects the Second Angel's nature to the planet quite well.

Relevant? Coincidence? Anno actually DOING TEH RESARCH?

You decide.

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:28 pm

Of course there was research in the development of the series, geez. Otherwise we wouldn't have found all the connections betwixt the series and other real world religious stuff. Very relevant.

But that is very, very interesting, though.
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:06 am

Somebody didn't get the old joke.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:54 am

Someone probably wasn't here for the joke...

Anyway, I'd wager relevant, and Anno spent like what, two years working on the outline of the series? He probably traveled to the dark corners of the world, seeing a lot of this stuff first-hand.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Zerogoki
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Zerogoki » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:29 pm

I particularly like this bit:
In 1926, the Science journal Die Sterne published the findings of an amateur German astronomer named W. Spill, who claimed to have successfully viewed a second moon orbiting the earth.

Random coincidental titleage makes me smile...
zerogokiru theories make Zerogoki want to hit walls...
#I've got a soul,
But I'm not going to tell you whose...#

"It was originally Happy Magic Virtue Shield." NAveryW on the heap of odd that is the Enchanted Shield of Virtue...
Brikhaus: "I would use Eva-02 (because it's red) to deliver toys to all the good little girls and boys of the world on a single night. That night? September 19th, which is Talk Like a Pirate Day."

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:51 am

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:10 am

Die Sterne? Quite a coincidence, indeed! Zuggy's first post in that thread and the page linked to it contain some real heavy astrology info, so be warned.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:04 pm

Ah thanks! I didn't think I would've been the one to discover this, but I couldn't find it. Thanks a bunch.

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:21 pm

Well, it was Zuggy, so I'm not surprised.
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”