What is the 3rd Angel?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

What is the 3rd Angel?

Postby tinmeigut » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:31 am

I hope such thread doesn't exist yet; there're already quite a number of threads about the 'new' Angels.

As we all know, some angels will be deleted; most renamed. But then, I seem to see no clue as to what will be the 3rd Angel. Provided that Adam is still the 1st Angel and Lilith 2nd, Sachiel is redesignated as the 4th and her following two siblings also have their numbers increased by 1. This leaves out a blank place: 3rd. What is the third angel then?
If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends. -Jane Eyre, Chapter 8

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby master_lloyd » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:42 am

Humans? Promoted from 18th to 3rd? Perhaps a new one we will see in flashback? Just speculation at the mo.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:52 am

You fools! It's GENDO!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:40 am

Expect inevitable overlap with this thread.

One can forward all possibilities within reach -- including the omnipresent "Something we haven't seen yet" -- but there is as of yet no actual information whatsoever regarding the 3rd Angel's identity, meaning this thread can only float aimlessly in the mists of speculation.

So the answer: nobody knows and you'll have to wait.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

Postby AuraTwilight » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:06 pm

That big thing on the moon, probably.

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

Postby Shiro » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:11 pm

I'm gonna guess...Kaworu. Think about it. If he was born due to the Contact Experiment with Adam, he would have been "born" before Sachiel and co, thus making him the 3rd oldest Angel, and thus the Third Angel. The fact that he was sleeping in a coffin reinforces this, as he would have been sleeping before Sachi came forward.

Moon Giant is Adam, Lilith is in T.D.

Adam is both the Embryo and the White Giant, as Seele can obviously clone Adam with no problems.
Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE -My fanfic. COMPLETE, HAHA! 2/25/08.
2.0: YOU ARE (NOT) WORTHLESS: Updated (!!) 7/14/08
Nigecha dame da...
"Kaworu is not a character. Kaworu is a plot device. Kaworu sucks." -Reichu

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:16 pm

I'll throw my two guesses into the ring and stay the hell out of the rest of this conversation.

GUESS 1. It's the Eva on the Moon. All the Eva's to date have in some manner or form originated from Adam or Lilith, it would make sense that the next evolutionary stage of the Evangelion is to actually turn an Angel itself into an Eva. Hence Angel 3 becomes Eva Unit 06.

GUESS 2. It's Rei. To simplify some of the series hulabaloo Rei has been altered to be the missing Angel.

And that's all I'll say on the issue because this can become a really interesting one to watch.
I give it two posts before someone says Shinji because he's remade the world. Shit, I jumped the gun on that one.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:13 pm

I say it's something we haven't seen yet, but seen evidence of.
I think the giant outline we see at the beginning of the movie is an outline of the 3rd Angel, or where an Eva (probably Unit 00), landed during battle with the 3rd Angel.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby tinmeigut » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:24 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:GUESS 1. It's the Eva on the Moon. All the Eva's to date have in some manner or form originated from Adam or Lilith, it would make sense that the next evolutionary stage of the Evangelion is to actually turn an Angel itself into an Eva. Hence Angel 3 becomes Eva Unit 06.

How very convenient it would be to directly use an Angel as an Eva Unit. Assuming this would be the case, the first step SEELE needed to do would be to brainwash that Moon Giant, ie remove the Angel's soul (Angels too have souls, do they?)... Otherwise who knows whether one day this 'Eva' would go berserk like Eva-01 and initiate Third Impact itself...
If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends. -Jane Eyre, Chapter 8

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby universalperson » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:02 pm

I think its Shinji, but I'm weird that way.
Avatar courtesy of RetroRainbow, and the Eva art book.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:18 pm

Retake?? In MY Webuild of Eva?! O_o

I wouldn't put it past Anno, and while such a thing would be sorta cool, I personally like the idea of Moon Giant being the 3rd Angel who just happens to be Sammael. ;) (*cough* An idea for a Rebuild fanfic I'll be doing. *cough* )

EDIT:

Since I didn't mention it before, I think that while the Moon Giant is the 3rd Angel, and that Eva-06 was made from ver similar to how Eva-01 is born of Lilith.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Rodeo » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:56 pm

"The third, huh?"
The moon giant obviously.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:28 am

Rodeo wrote:"The third, huh?"
The moon giant obviously.

Hah, here I thought I was crazy for interpreting that line as referring to the moon giant instead of Shinji.

However, I later reinterpreted that he was indeed talking about Shinji. My translated PDF of DVD liner notes mentions Kaworu "seems to know" Shinji, and the only lines Kaworu said that would implicate that are "the third again, huh? You never change, do you."

Plus, he's talking about Shinji before and after that line, and the timing of when he turns his head to look up at the Earth implies that the last thing he said was meant to apply to Shinji.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:38 pm

Monk Ed wrote:Plus, he's talking about Shinji before and after that line, and the timing of when he turns his head to look up at the Earth implies that the last thing he said was meant to apply to Shinji.

MAYBE THERE'S A DOUBLE MEANING AND THEY'RE FUCKING WITH OUR HEADS!!!

cat42 wrote:I think the giant outline we see at the beginning of the movie is an outline of the 3rd Angel, or where an Eva (probably Unit 00), landed during battle with the 3rd Angel.

The Entry File book actually suggests that the outline has something to do with Second Impact.

Shiro wrote:Moon Giant is Adam, Lilith is in T.D.

But they show two cuts directly recycled from the "Kaji presents Adam embryo to Gendo" scene in the preview for 2.0, which casts some doubt on the Moon Giant being Adam. There's also the intimations that Adam exploded into "blood" at 2I and all.

Adam is both the Embryo and the White Giant, as Seele can obviously clone Adam with no problems.

Clones of Adam aren't Adam. They're Eva. Additionally, the Nerv base on the Moon has been designated a provisional one for "excavation", intimating that the Moon Giant was something they dug up.

In before "Mari". Have we mentioned all available possibilities yet?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

Postby JimmyWolk » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:54 pm

Reichu wrote:But they show two cuts directly recycled from the "Kaji presents Adam embryo to Gendo" scene in the preview for 2.0, which casts some doubt on the Moon Giant being Adam. There's also the intimations that Adam exploded into "blood" at 2I and all.
Well, the preview mentioned "Adams"... >_>

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:04 pm

For some reason, I take Adams as being another name for the Angels like Lilin is for humanity.

But I know Shiro thinks what you pointed out, Jimmy: Kaworu, Adam and MG are all different Adams.

Not sure what I think but that would be interesting.

Also: My first theory is/was that Moon Giant was a 3rd Seed of Life, Sammel but ver soul is in Mari; the reason they (MG and Mari) look the way they do is because they (or at least MG) was supposed to end somewhere else.

But then I thought that was stupid because it sounded a bit too much like Second Impression. :sweatdrop:

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:43 pm

Reichu wrote:MAYBE THERE'S A DOUBLE MEANING AND THEY'RE FUCKING WITH OUR HEADS!!!

I'd considered that possibility but come on, Kaworu saying something that means more than one thing at the same time? :gendo_kimura: Anbiriibaburu!

Also, my money's on the Third Angel being the Moon Giant and vir name will be 'Cain' and the Angels will be Cain's brood, not Adam's, and the contract with Lilith is to defend vir from Cain and vir brood.

(ver is too heavily weighted towards femininity so I put the 'i' from 'his' into it)

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

Postby Fazmotron » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:27 pm

No no no, wait, Lilith is the moon giant and Adam is in T.D.

Because Misato is ALWAYS wrong.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby tinmeigut » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:04 pm

Fazmotron wrote:No no no, wait, Lilith is the moon giant and Adam is in T.D.

Because Misato is ALWAYS wrong.

You know, once or twice this idea did sweep through my mind: could they have intentionally switched the location of the couple so as to confuse the audience? Moreover, I can't find the reason for them to change Lilith's mask. Since most Angels have that skeletal mask, that giant in the T.D. (wearing the same skeletal mask in the rebuild) may well be Adam, the origin of all angels. But if this is the case another problem surfaces: How can the origin of human, Lilith, not be on earth?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:33 pm

you know, once or twice this idea did sweep through my mind: could they have intentionally switched the location of the couple so as to confuse the audience?

I've been wondering this myself.

Moreover, I can't find the reason for them to change Lilith's mask.

I personally like the idea of it being Lilith's actual face.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”