Yui Ikari: Sadist?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

Yui Ikari: Sadist?

Postby The Goose » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:11 pm

Its common knownledge for any ultimate Eva fan that Yui Ikari was trying to become one with Eva Unit-01 during the experiment that horried Shinji. She says that she wants to let Shinji see "how bright the future will be", but if she knew that the experiment would result in her absorbtion, why did she let Shinji watch? Did she think that letting three year old Shinji watch his only mother get taken away from him was a happy moment in her son's future? Or was she getting kicks out his torment?

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

Postby slothen » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:35 pm

did yui know what would happen? I would guess Gendou did not know.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:03 am

Did you actually pay attention to the series? She wanted him to know she was there when the time was right. She did it so he, and everyone for that matter, would have a future.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Skywalker007
Embryo

Postby Skywalker007 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:45 am

Quite a bright future indeed: Everybody dead, her husband turn to be a maniac psycho, her son mind has broke down to pieces, and earth become a red lifeless planet.

But no, I don't think she is a sadist. She doesn't created a plan at all. If she does have a plan, Gendo and Shinji would be very much better prepare.

Anyway, I wonder that why Yui doesn't comfort Shinji before he goes killing everyone. Why does she have to appear after everyone is already dead?
Just simple man who made my may in the universe.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:02 am

Skywalker007 wrote:Quite a bright future indeed: Everybody dead, her husband turn to be a maniac psycho, her son mind has broke down to pieces, and earth become a red lifeless planet.

Quite.

But there are incurable optimists around here who still believe that a bunch of SF fen did not know what they were doing when they showed GNR (and any reasonable hope) falling to pieces.

"Well, that's the ecosystem fucked, then."
Last edited by Mr. Tines on Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

Postby The Goose » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:50 am

Did you actually pay attention to the series? She wanted him to know she was there when the time was right. She did it so he, and everyone for that matter, would have a future.

I get that she was being aborbed for the greater good, but where does she get the right for showing her own son a tramua inducing sight of seeing his own mother getting absorbed? I can understand letting him know where she is, but did she have to let him know by letting him watch a horrifing sight like that? Couldn't she have left a note or have Kozo or Gendo tell him where she is? She didn't have to scare her son like that and leave a huge mental scar on him.

Zerogoki
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Zerogoki » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:38 am

The Goose wrote:I get that she was being aborbed for the greater good, but where does she get the right for showing her own son a tramua inducing sight of seeing his own mother getting absorbed? I can understand letting him know where she is, but did she have to let him know by letting him watch a horrifing sight like that? Couldn't she have left a note or have Kozo or Gendo tell him where she is? She didn't have to scare her son like that and leave a huge mental scar on him.

I'm not convinced that witnessing the absorption was what caused Shinji to be traumatised. True, he did forget for a while that he'd been there, but I put that down to him being too young rather than him repressing a bad memory. Even when he does remember it, all he really says about the incident is that "mother was smiling when...". We never see what happened, so we don't know a) what the absorption looked like; and b) how visible Yui was when it happened (i.e. was she underwater, in a plug etc), so we can't say how traumatic witnessing it would be.

I think that ultimately the thing that traumatised Shinji was the fact that his mother never came back, coupled with his father rejecting him immediately after. These things would have happened if Shinji had been present that day or not.
zerogokiru theories make Zerogoki want to hit walls...
#I've got a soul,
But I'm not going to tell you whose...#

"It was originally Happy Magic Virtue Shield." NAveryW on the heap of odd that is the Enchanted Shield of Virtue...
Brikhaus: "I would use Eva-02 (because it's red) to deliver toys to all the good little girls and boys of the world on a single night. That night? September 19th, which is Talk Like a Pirate Day."

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

Postby The Goose » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:25 am

I guess thats true, but Yui bringing Shinji to that experiment still seems like bad parenting.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

Postby AuraTwilight » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:07 pm

Quite a bright future indeed: Everybody dead, her husband turn to be a maniac psycho, her son mind has broke down to pieces, and earth become a red lifeless planet.

Not at all. You can see perfectly intact plant-life and whatnot no problem, and everyone is going to come back to life as the planet's ecosystem restores itself. The state we see Earth in at the end is only temporary.

But no, I don't think she is a sadist. She doesn't created a plan at all. If she does have a plan, Gendo and Shinji would be very much better prepare.

Be fair, what kind of plan should she make for being shoved in a giant robot?

Anyway, I wonder that why Yui doesn't comfort Shinji before he goes killing everyone. Why does she have to appear after everyone is already dead?

I don't think she can manifest any time she wants, and even still, the tangification NEEDED to happen to preserve everyone's lives.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:49 pm

slothen wrote:did yui know what would happen? I would guess Gendou did not know.

In the tank shots of Episode 23' and The OP Opening it shows Yui saying goodbye to Gendou.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:55 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:But there are incurable optimists around here who still believe that a bunch of SF fen did not know what they were doing when they showed GNR (and any reasonable hope) falling to pieces.

Every time Mr. Tines brings this up in a thread, [complete the meme]...

IrkenEvangelion wrote:In the tank shots of Episode 23' and The OP Opening it shows Yui saying goodbye to Gendou.

She's talking to some random Gehirn dude, not Gendo.

さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:01 pm

Reichu wrote:Every time Mr. Tines brings this up in a thread, [complete the meme]...

...Kaworu masturbates?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby master_lloyd » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:05 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
Reichu wrote:Every time Mr. Tines brings this up in a thread, [complete the meme]...

...Kaworu kills a kitten

FIX'D (and see below in sig)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:37 pm

Reichu wrote:She's talking to some random Gehirn dude, not Gendo.

[IMAGE]

What's the guy below him wearing? It looks...odd.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:39 pm

master_lloyd wrote:FIX'D (and see below in sig)

It's not "fixed", because "...Kaworu kills a kitten" has already been taken by another variation of the macro.

UrsusArctos wrote:What's the guy below him wearing? It looks...odd.

Probably something akin to the protective suit Misato is wearing in episode 07; the helmet section might be detachable.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Skywalker007
Embryo

Postby Skywalker007 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:59 am

Not at all. You can see perfectly intact plant-life and whatnot no problem, and everyone is going to come back to life as the planet's ecosystem restores itself. The state we see Earth in at the end is only temporary.

I'm not sure that everyone will be back, and less sure on the theory that the ecosystem may restore itself. The place that second impact occurred is still the way they are after the impact, wasn't it.
Just simple man who made my may in the universe.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:10 pm

Skywalker007 wrote:less sure on the theory that the ecosystem may restore itself.

These shots near the end of EoE seem to imply the ecosystem will be restored and that people will return:

And also: "Everytime Tines-Ojichan brings up the "Ecosystem is fucked" theory, SSD's head explodes."
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:22 pm

Not to forget we see trees etc. in Tines favourite pic too, heh

Don't misunderstand me, world is fucked up BAD after Third Impact. It's just there's no basis for thinking damage is permanent.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:24 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:And also: "Everytime Tines-Ojichan brings up the "Ecosystem is fucked" POV, SSD's head explodes."

Don't blame me -- I didn't put the giant meteor impact BAD END into the film, I just pointed it out.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:26 pm

^
:headbash:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”