Plugsuits and LCL Mechanics

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
anatrok
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby anatrok » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:05 pm

It's my understanding that it is impossible to speek in liquid (I'm getting this from The Abyss). So there for the LCL has to turn into a gas, or else the pilots wouldn't be able to talk. Then again, Eps. 1, Shinji says "I think I'm gonna be sick" and that was while it was still yellow, so I don't know. While reading everyone's post's the topic seemed interesting, but I just can't help but think Gainax just screwed up.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:48 pm

anatrok wrote:It's my understanding that it is impossible to speek in liquid...

Good god man, have you never been in a swimming pool? Or submerged yourself in your bathtub? Jeeze...
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Lethal GD Weapon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lethal GD Weapon » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:11 am

LCL, in terms of coloration, works like an LCD display,only backwards. LCDs darken when an electrical current is run trough them. That is due to a change in molecular arrangement. Change in molecular arrangement does not mean phase change. LCL becomes clear as a current is run through it. There are just too many scenes in Evangelion that show that LCL is in a liquid state at all times for me to accept the idea that it turns into a gas.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:29 am

the theory that you cant speak in a liquid is BS, in fact, because liquid is denser, it would transmit sound faster than it would in air (correct me if i am wrong)
and also, its probably because no one has decided to fill their lungs with water aside from reasons of suicide...and most of those people didnt survive
the LCD theory i think might work, but it would be a lot simpler if the color change was just due to the projection of the screens...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:15 am

sadsadshinji wrote:the LCD theory i think might work, but it would be a lot simpler if the color change was just due to the projection of the screens...

WTF do the screens have to do with it?

さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

anatrok
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby anatrok » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:29 pm

sadsadshinji wrote:the theory that you cant speak in a liquid is BS, in fact, because liquid is denser, it would transmit sound faster than it would in air (correct me if i am wrong)
and also, its probably because no one has decided to fill their lungs with water aside from reasons of suicide...and most of those people didnt survive
the LCD theory i think might work, but it would be a lot simpler if the color change was just due to the projection of the screens...

If you have liquid in your lungs, you are unable to produce any meaningful sound, so there for you can't speak once you have the LCL in your lungs.

You are right about sound going faster in water, but your vocal cords can't vibrate correctly if you have a liquid in your lungs. Am I the only person who saw "The Abyss".

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:07 pm

No, I saw it too. It is good, but it is not scientifically sound. And lately there has been medical evidence that babies in the womb can make sounds, so that might suggest it is possible.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:21 pm

I think, here, the fact that Shinji can speak in a liquid is beside the point. This is a law of physics they decide to break for narrative purposes. Kind of like how the characters in Germany (from Asuka's flashbacks), the American naval commanders, and the international members of Seele all speak Japanese -- you never hear anyone complain about that.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:44 pm

Reichu wrote:Kind of like how the characters in Germany (from Asuka's flashbacks), the American naval commanders, and the international members of Seele all speak Japanese -- you never hear anyone complain about that.

I've complained about that before. :wink:

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:40 pm

I'm sure it's very difficult to talk underwater. In normal air, it's fine. If you breath in helium, it's lighter, and you get a higher voice. However, having too much friction, like the desity of water, would be a bit too much. Your chords won't be able to vibrate fast enough. I mean, try blowing a rasberry underwater, and you'll realise you can't.
Then again, we know LCL has to be less dense than water. Who knows.

LCD = Liquid Crystal Display
LCL = Liquid Carbon-dioxide Leecher 8)
ココにいても、いいの?
Is it okay for me to be here?

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:23 pm

If LCL becomes a gas, then why do they call it Link Connection Liquid? i thought that someone would notice that by now.
"We are born, meant to die. If I am to die, then let it be with a sword in my hand, my enemies at my feet, and my blood on my body. Come forward, come forward, come forward! And let us all meet in bloody combat."-The Rose Lord, William Rose.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:27 pm

ChronoX wrote:If LCL becomes a gas, then why do they call it Link Connection Liquid? i thought that someone would notice that by now.

That is a common rumor debunked by grace of the Red Cross Book.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:32 pm

ooops...i guess the screen theory dies...
so the electrically charged lcl molecules become clear? reasonable...i suppose...doesnt really need a molecular rearrangement

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:55 pm

Phaze wrote:
ChronoX wrote:If LCL becomes a gas, then why do they call it Link Connection Liquid? i thought that someone would notice that by now.

That is a common rumor debunked by grace of the Red Cross Book.

Then the soup of life, soup is liquid, not gaseous or solid. Do you get my point?
"We are born, meant to die. If I am to die, then let it be with a sword in my hand, my enemies at my feet, and my blood on my body. Come forward, come forward, come forward! And let us all meet in bloody combat."-The Rose Lord, William Rose.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:02 pm

ChronoX wrote:Then the soup of life, soup is liquid, not gaseous or solid. Do you get my point?

When the LCL is referred to as "the soup of life", it has changed its molecular arrangement (again!). LCL is apparently pretty versatile stuff. It can be whatever the plot demands. :P
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:20 pm

What did you expect from the blood of a 10 story tall marshmellow giant?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:07 am

Dave wrote:What did you expect from the blood of a 10 story tall marshmellow giant?

Who is also an alien, might I add.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:16 am

and can look like your best friend (who was an angel) as well as a girl who looks like your mom?

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:47 pm

who has a soul that can be placed into tens of diferent vessels.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:59 pm

ChronoX wrote:who has a soul that can be placed into tens of diferent vessels.

... Since when?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”