Gendo in EoE

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:23 am

Damn bystander-effect. I was feeling rather lonely talking to just you. Dark FireStar helped, but doesn't have much to add. Where are the people when you need them? :?
You just want to stand there, watching, don't you? Just waiting to see Reichu fall into depression and the world terminate itself. You could have helped, but you were selfish. You didn't want any part of it. And you knew it'll end like so from the beginning, too, if you left it alone. You knew that it'll all blow over. But you didn't understand the importance of its existance. When the Eva Monkey board, the Evangelion fans and the all the recordings of Evangelion are gone; so long as one person still lives... Even though it'll be very lonely, if that person still lives, it'll be eternal proof that this thread ever existed. Think about it. :? Think of the meaning "I need you." Think of what it could have been with you. But, see what it is, now. This is what happens after Third Impact...

What was I saying again? :shock:
ココにいても、いいの?
Is it okay for me to be here?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:00 am

MAGI wrote:Damn bystander-effect. I was feeling rather lonely talking to just you.

Lonely, in my honorable presence? Bah! You just fear the MAGI that exists in Reichu's mind, don't you?

What was I saying again? :shock:

It made perfect sense to me. For once. ;)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:36 am

:) Hm, I wonder what I look like in your mind. The MAGI and Reichu in our minds just adds to our loneliness. The fact that we aren't one, united, makes us lonely beings. :cry:
ココにいても、いいの?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:29 am

MAGI wrote::) Hm, I wonder what I look like in your mind.

Like a pseudorealistic Gendo. ;)

Oh, wait... That's not what you meant, is it?

The fact that we aren't one, united, makes us lonely beings.

Well... I'm still waiting for the right person to, ahem, "unite" with. Know what I mean, know what I mean, say no more.

We're off topic, but at least we're not post-slapping each other.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:00 pm

Or were we?
ココにいても、いいの?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:31 pm

MAGI wrote:Or were we?

I don't know. I can't even be certain of my own existence, let alone whether a post of mine is intended to serve as a cyber bitchslap.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:49 pm

Reichu wrote:Scott: I could have sworn that you and Wayne were in the same boat on this one... Blah, too many threads and not enough space in my brain.

No, I haven't been able to get him to listen to reason on this one yet.

My thoughts:
The lack of a scene showing Gendo turning into LCL isn't strong enough evidence to prove that he isn't complimented. Rembmber, he doesn't want to be in Instrumentality with everyone else, so being excluded wouldn't really be much of a punishment. Gendo wanted to be united with Yui; being rejected by her would certainly be enough to explain the, "Oh s___," look on his face. (Sorry Magi, the smile exists only in your imagination.) Also, if Gendo was not seeing Unit-01 in the same way that everyone else was seeing Rei, but was only experiencing Yui's rejection, then you wouldn't expect him to disolve at this time. As for the EVA game card Wigs cites: as Shin-seiki himself has said, sources that are, "official," but external to the anime are cannon only when they do not contradict the anime. Remember, Eva Otaku sites the Newtype book, which is every bit as cannon as the Cardass game, to show that Shinji chooses instrumentality in the TV ending, and most of us know that that is wrong. There may be a few nit-picky differences between the two endings, mostly in the order in which the events occur, but I don't believe Anno would make such a profound change in so important a detail. Since most people, except for Brendan and Aaron, have finally realized the the endings are concurrent, as Gendo is in Instrumentality in the TV ending, he must also be there in EOE. So I conclude that he must have disolved shortly after this scene ended. As for them not showing it, once the point has been made 2 or 3 times, do we really need to see it again?

I feel that we should always err on the side of concurrency, and accept divergences in the ending only when there is no other credible explanation.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:25 am

Regardless of how one wants to describe Gendo's expression, he sounds remarkably calm about the whole ordeal...

Wayne, while I generally am in agreement with you on this one, MAGI did raise an interesting point. Why would rejection be represented as the act of biting off one's head?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:45 pm

Reichu wrote:Regardless of how one wants to describe Gendo's expression, he sounds remarkably calm about the whole ordeal...

Wayne, while I generally am in agreement with you on this one, MAGI did raise an interesting point. Why would rejection be represented as the act of biting off one's head?

I suppose it is a point, but I could turn it right back around on him: why on earth would acceptance, which is what Magi seems to think is going on here, be represented as biting off one's head? Rejection through violence makes a heck of a lot more sense than acceptance through viloence.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:53 pm

Reichu wrote:Regardless of how one wants to describe Gendo's expression, he sounds remarkably calm about the whole ordeal...

Maybe that's how he believed Shinji felt about him after all was said and done. He obviously felt bad about his lack of fathering... skills, and I gather that he always had this mindset that Shinji always hated him (which is pretty much true). It could be Gendou's way of giving himself what he felt he deserved.
Close your eyes and listen hard

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:12 am

But why would Shinji be represented by a semi-naked, demonic EVA-01? Especially to someone like Gendo, who looked on quite knowingly last time he saw the Eva in such a state.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:35 pm

Hmmm... you got me there, Reichu. The easiest thing I can think of is that Shinji was in Unit-01 when this was all happening, so maybe... eh. That sounds lame.

Although... now that I've been thinking... it would probably look a lot less aesthetically pleasing (in any situation) to most viewers to see Shinji actually taking a chomp out of his old man. Having Unit-01 take a bite out of him well... looks cooler, for one thing, and it could also personify Shinji (and his hatred towards Gendou) on a much larger scale. This could also be a good way to incorporate Yui's (maybe) contempt towards her husband. Sorta like a mother-son gang-up on Gendou. :P

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:06 am

Ayanami wrote:Hmmm... you got me there, Reichu. The easiest thing I can think of is that Shinji was in Unit-01 when this was all happening, so maybe... eh. That sounds lame.

In a sense, considering Shinji had absolutely no control over EVA-01 for the entire movie. He was just sitting there... Feeling Mommy's pain, and that's about it. He only had any influence over events because of Rei.

This could also be a good way to incorporate Yui's (maybe) contempt towards her husband. Sorta like a mother-son gang-up on Gendou. :P

Well, if she's contemptuous, she has an odd way of showing it:

Yui's expression doesn't change much, but it at least changes enough that you could tell she was hurt when Kouzou breezed past her in #21'.

I guess you can always with the ol', "Yui gave Gendo what he thought he deserved."

On a random aside, I think a Giant Naked Shinji biting off Gendo's head would have been the freakiest thing evar.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:16 am

Reichu wrote:On a random aside, I think a Giant Naked Shinji biting off Gendo's head would have been the freakiest thing evar.

I smell fan-art. XD

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:43 am

Ayanami wrote:I smell fan-art. XD

You do it. That's too scary, even for me. :P
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:25 pm

Actually, I did do it. Check the fan-art thread. XD

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:02 pm

This is sort of random, but it suddenly occured to me that removing Gendo's nut might have been a way to tie him thematically to Kaworu.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ice reaper
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby ice reaper » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:38 am

that link is seriously freaky.

btw, i've always wondered what the hell ambivalence means? enlightenment would be greatly appretiated.

"The divine fall silent as the freil plea aloud"

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:49 am

ice reaper wrote:btw, i've always wondered what the hell ambivalence means? enlightenment would be greatly appretiated.

www.dictionary.com
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ice reaper
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby ice reaper » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:57 am

my thanks.

btw, am i correct in asuming your female? no awkwordness(spelled incorrectly) intended, just curious.

"The divine fall silent as the freil plea aloud"

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”