Rebuild and NGE's Unused Concepts

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Skullraper
Tunniel
Tunniel

Rebuild and NGE's Unused Concepts

•      
  •      

Postby Skullraper » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:31 am

I noticed something interesting when looking in “Concept Design Works” (an art book). I assume (since I can’t read Japanese) that many of the designs in the book are rejected prototypes of the designs seen in the series. With that in mind it’s interesting to note that some of the “redesigns” we see in Rebuild seem to have been taken from older unused sketches. Eva-00’s color scheme for example and the plug loading rig.

Then I was reading in the wiki about NGE Proposal. The book basically outlines the early concept and story of the show. The final product ended up being much different with many of the angels being changed as well as the back story. Then it occurred to me. What if Rebuild is a partial telling of the original story? Maybe we’ll get to see an angel descend from the moon and vaporize North America!

Also, Proposal mentioned unique Eva-05 and Eva-06 models. This would seem to have been confirmed already by the 2nd movie trailer. In light of this does anyone know if Rebuild will feature new angels? Perhaps Shateiel and Turel?

One more thing. I had heard rumors that Rebuild is actually a continuation of the events after EoE. I wouldn’t necessarily be adverse to that. But can someone tell me what the basis is for this interpretation?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Speculation/Questions regarding Rebuild. (maybe spoilers

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:51 am

Skullraper wrote:In light of this does anyone know if Rebuild will feature new angels? Perhaps Shateiel and Turel?

It's possible, but there's already going to be fewer angels than in the TV series.

One more thing. I had heard rumors that Rebuild is actually a continuation of the events after EoE. I wouldn’t necessarily be adverse to that. But can someone tell me what the basis is for this interpretation?

The sea is red, there's a blood stain on the moon, Kaworu seems to know Shinji already.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:14 am

Instead of 12 Angels coming from the moon and vaporizing North America and Eva-06, Eva-06 and its pilot (Probably Kaworu) come down from the moon. Kitty-killing irony, I know. A lot of the old proposal was probably rejected as being too complex for production (You do see considerable detail in the first two episodes and again at various points in the series)
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby universalperson » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:38 pm

Look, right now, anything is possible for Rebuild. Anything.
Avatar courtesy of RetroRainbow, and the Eva art book.

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:47 pm

I'm hoping we'll get Aluka, or at least something similar, for Webuild's conclusion. He's certainly leading us that direction. (Glasses Girl would be the Angel from Episode 22, and Kaworu-kun would be the all-powerful 12th, coming from the moon) I doubt we'll get it though. But it would be freaking awesome.
Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE -My fanfic. COMPLETE, HAHA! 2/25/08.
2.0: YOU ARE (NOT) WORTHLESS: Updated (!!) 7/14/08
Nigecha dame da...
"Kaworu is not a character. Kaworu is a plot device. Kaworu sucks." -Reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:55 pm

Arka or Arqa, please.

He's certainly leading us that direction.

This takes a leap of the imagination, methinks.

Also, that's supposed to be all-powerful TWELVE, not all-powerful "twelfth".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

CtHuLhU
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby CtHuLhU » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:59 pm

Webuild wrote:Fyutsuki: Really the sixth angel?

Gendo: Ya, let Eva-01 get a battle.

<...>

Gendo: Even by using an any funds, we should destroy eight other Angels.

Fyutsuki: All of them.

6+8=?
[code:1]やはり第6の使徒だな?
ああ……初号機を出撃させる
<...>
いかなる手段を用いても、我々はあと8体の使徒を倒さねばならん。
全てはそれからか[/code:1]
It disappoints...
Meybe misses of translation, i dunno yet.

Shiro wrote:we'll get Aluka

Alucard? %_%
Last edited by CtHuLhU on Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
あやなみ ☆ すきだよ

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:14 pm

We're not getting Arqa. We're getting Werewolf Asuka all the way.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Skullraper
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Skullraper » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:50 pm

NAveryW wrote:We're not getting Arqa. We're getting Werewolf Asuka all the way.

Werewolf Asuka!? Am I missing something?

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:55 pm

EDIT: Ornette filled me in on the difference between my source and yours. Never mind.

And yeah, I know it's a leap, but it sounds too intriguing for Anno to just drop it altogether.
Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE -My fanfic. COMPLETE, HAHA! 2/25/08.
Nigecha dame da...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:52 pm

Skullraper wrote:Werewolf Asuka!? Am I missing something?

Do a forum post search and you'll find what you seek.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:29 am

Oh my god! The ending! I understand it now!
Werewolf Asuka bit off Rei's arm, which somehow ends up with Shinji on the beach! This is how Rebuild Final will end.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:I think we've got all the funny out of that joke now

You are (not) punctuating properly, Commandah.

(Sorry, but the recurring AWOL periods thing is really starting to bug me.)

Ahem.

Is it just me, or does it seem like everyone is pulling the sequel-or-remake-built-of-cutting-room-floor-snippets thing now? I'm seeing quite a bit of that in the other circles I frequent.

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby universalperson » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:39 pm

BobBQ wrote:Is it just me, or does it seem like everyone is pulling the sequel-or-remake-built-of-cutting-room-floor-snippets thing now? I'm seeing quite a bit of that in the other circles I frequent.

I think everyone is hoping Rebuild becomes their favorite fanfic...or something.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:28 am

universalperson wrote:I think everyone is hoping Rebuild becomes their favorite fanfic...or something.

What I meant was that Gainax / Khaara aren't the only ones doing this kind of recycling.

In the vid-games industry, for example, we have Half-Life 2 Episode 3, which is slated to be set in part on / around a derelict ship called the Borealis. Those who have read Raising the Bar or played Missing Information will immediately recognize the ship as being from a level cut out of the original Half-Life 2. GSC's upcoming title S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky, meanwhile, is made up almost entirely out of material that was dropped from last year's Shadow of Chernobyl.

I dearly hope this doesn't mean that creativity is dropping.

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:39 am

Well, on the fanfic topic, I'm actually doing it with the intent to go all the way. It's just for fun anyway. I read the Arka (Dammit, I keep wanting to say Aluka...) ending synopsis, and it intrigued me just enough to think about it a lot, and I ended up with something that I think might come out damn good, if I can stick with it.

But anyway, Arka's ending was vague enough that they're still being creative. Arka was only described as "the promised land" and "ruins" were mentioned. Not much more than that. I think that leaves enough room for creativity. Plus, Arka sounds awesome enough that we can let that slide.
Nigecha dame da...

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby universalperson » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:26 pm

BobBQ wrote:
universalperson wrote:I think everyone is hoping Rebuild becomes their favorite fanfic...or something.

What I meant was that Gainax / Khaara aren't the only ones doing this kind of recycling.

In the vid-games industry, for example, we have Half-Life 2 Episode 3, which is slated to be set in part on / around a derelict ship called the Borealis. Those who have read Raising the Bar or played Missing Information will immediately recognize the ship as being from a level cut out of the original Half-Life 2. GSC's upcoming title S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky, meanwhile, is made up almost entirely out of material that was dropped from last year's Shadow of Chernobyl.

I dearly hope this doesn't mean that creativity is dropping.

Oh, well, sometimes there is stuff that's REALLY UTTERLY AWESOME but you can't do it for whatever reason. So you find some other place to put it. This really happens all the time, not just in video games, but in writing also. Perfectly normal.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:32 am

[Split/merged tangent from here.]

Small odds that they'll "transfer" Eva-05 from Bethania to Nerv HQ, so...

Wait, wait, wait! If Bethania Base is on the moon (Tabgha looks like it is), we have an Eva fighting Angels on the Moon. Haven't we heard of this in a certain proposal somewhere?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:54 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:Wait, wait, wait! If Bethania Base is on the moon (Tabgha looks like it is), we have an Eva fighting Angels on the Moon. Haven't we heard of this in a certain proposal somewhere?

Why do you think Bethania Base is on the Moon just because Tabgha is? (Not that this is necessarily a bad guess... If "Tabgha" is located on the Moon and not in real life Tabgha, where the hell would "Bethania Base" be?)

And Angels weren't fought on the Moon in the Proposal; they just came down from it. 12 of them. Apostolos, even, but same thing I guess.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:50 pm

I wish anno had kept that idea for rebuild. Epic scene would have been epic

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”