Did Asuka Love Shinji?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

SoulfulFX [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SoulfulFX [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:21 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:I think that's partly true, but I also think that finding out about Shinji's amazing synch-ratio makes her regard him as a peer, i.e. someone she would consider worthy of her attention, and of being dealt with in a friendly, or at least civil manner (remember the "Guten Morgen" bit at the beginning of ep09); he is the only boy in the school that she rates as as higher than a slug or insect... Of course, his eventual surpassing of her synch-ratio is intolerable to her own fragile self-esteem, which is entirely bound up with her role as a pilot; she can tolerate him as a peer, but not as a superior.

Now my mind has drifted to the episode brought up earlier, 16 I believe. We do see her concerned enough to hang around Shinji's hospital room at the end, but even at the start of that episode...she chides Shinji for always apologizing and punishing himself for things that aren't necessarily his fault.

If I put that together with the last two posts, Incivis and Shin's, then perhaps her synchro ratio was the one thing Asuka was sure she was better than everyone at until Shinji came along. That can be backed up by the fact that she wears the sychnro devices all the time on her head.

So Asuka seeing Shinji weak in other ways maybe conflicts with her desire to compete with him. What reward is it to your self-esteem to beat a weakling?

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2004, 14:09 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:21 pm

I think Asuka teases Shinji because she likes him, if she didn't like him, she wouldn't even bother. It's her way of interacting with someone she would consider on the level of a friend or love interest.

She treats Misato in a somewhat similar manner, inserting jabs and scornful comments when the opportunity arises (There relationship was on better terms in the earlier episodes of the show, it declines though, and becomes more bitter, rather than playful.). As apposed to Kaji who she hold on a pedestal.

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2004, 14:40 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:21 pm

Reichu wrote:From what I can tell, there's not much difference between the perspective we predict you'll express on matters and the perspective you end up expressing.

Well then you can't tell very accurately, since both of your previous "predictions" about me were complete bullsh-t. I do not take seriously the idea that Yui was in control of Asuka's body, nor do I consider myself to be the only person whose thoughts on Eva are valid.

Don't make me start disliking you.

WrestleSFX wrote:I will ask this... at any point... does Asuka shed tears or show worry for Shinji's life?

No.

Shin-seiki wrote:Ep16: check out her reaction when Shinji is swallowed by the Angel, also note that she is lurking around his hospital room at the end of the episode.

Her reaction to him being swallowed by the Angel is to insult him for being a dumbass and disobeying orders (yeah, like she's one to talk...)

She eavesdrops on the conversation between Rei and Shinji because she knows there's something going on between them and wants to know what it is - from her perspective, to see what Shinji thinks is so great about Rei.

tv33 wrote:I think Asuka teases Shinji because she likes him, if she didn't like him, she wouldn't even bother.

That works with guys making fun of each other, but girls usually don't think that way. Then again, this is Asuka we're dealing with...

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2004, 15:27 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:21 pm

Fuzzy Chickens wrote:That works with guys making fun of each other, but girls usually don't think that way. Then again, this is Asuka we're dealing with...

Girls don't usually think that way? Are you somehow a designated expert in the area of female psychology?

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2004, 16:39 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:21 pm

Fuzzy Chickens wrote:Her reaction to him being swallowed by the Angel is to insult him for being a dumbass and disobeying orders (yeah, like she's one to talk...)

Judging by the look on her face, and especially by the tone of her voice, I'd say there's more to her reaction than that... Of course, to appreciate that would entail a certain ammount of nuance with regard to how one construes the meaning her reaction, and if there's one thing that we can conclude on the basis just about everything that you've posted on this forum, it's that you are an inveterate and implacable enemy of the very concept of nuance.

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2004, 17:32 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:21 pm

Reichu wrote:Girls don't usually think that way? Are you somehow a designated expert in the area of female psychology?

In High School I had more female friends than male ones, and I learned much from them.

Originally posted on: 15-Mar-2004, 04:21 GMT

SoulfulFX [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SoulfulFX [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:21 pm

*uses giant Outlaw Star grappler arms of science to wrench conversation back to something relevant*

I think in ep. 16 when Asuka is insulting Shinji's actions as being foolish, she is more concerned than she's letting on. I mean, she doesn't seem to be declaring herself superior to him until after Rei pushes her a bit. Before the "are my comments about Shinji pissing you off...?" line, she seems quite upset.

Originally posted on: 15-Mar-2004, 14:35 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:22 pm

WrestleSFX wrote:Before the "are my comments about Shinji pissing you off...?" line, she seems quite upset.

Before that line, she was insulting Shinji like there was no tomorrow. I'm not too sure how that translates into her being concerned about his well-being...

Originally posted on: 17-Mar-2004, 09:32 GMT

SoulfulFX [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SoulfulFX [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:22 pm

Fuzzy Chickens wrote:Before that line, she was insulting Shinji like there was no tomorrow. I'm not too sure how that translates into her being concerned about his well-being...

True, the words coming out of her mouth are insulting Shinji but her attitude is almost frantic, which leads me to believe the words and her thoughts don't match. It's like when a person is really nervous or worried about something and starts talking real fast to distract themselves or others from what they are really thinking.

Originally posted on: 17-Mar-2004, 14:39 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:22 pm

WrestleSFX wrote:True, the words coming out of her mouth are insulting Shinji but her attitude is almost frantic, which leads me to believe the words and her thoughts don't match. It's like when a person is really nervous or worried about something and starts talking real fast to distract themselves or others from what they are really thinking.

I agree. I think it's pretty clear that the attitude Asuka projects is just something to mask what she's really feeling. In the "Shinji and Asuka" thread, Shin-seiki highlighted the shots from #22 that show Asuka's state after the "wall of Jericho" (#09) and kissing (#15) scenes. If you judge Asuka only by what you normally see, you're missing the essence of her character.

Originally posted on: 17-Mar-2004, 14:50 GMT

SoulfulFX [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SoulfulFX [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:22 pm

Reichu wrote:I agree. I think it's pretty clear that the attitude Asuka projects is just something to mask what she's really feeling. In the "Shinji and Asuka" thread, Shin-seiki highlighted the shots from #22 that show Asuka's state after the "wall of Jericho" (#09) and kissing (#15) scenes. If you judge Asuka only by what you normally see, you're missing the essence of her character.

Right... it all seems to be a build of emotional layers to protect herself from the memories of her mother. Just like Misato makes up for two years of traumatized silence by being all bubbly and extroverted later in life, Asuka bites people's heads off to mask some serious anxiety over her self-confidence.

Poor Shinji...he's in the middle of all these emotionally traumatized women.

Originally posted on: 18-Mar-2004, 15:31 GMT

HellaSueV [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby HellaSueV [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:22 pm

well it doesnt really matter bcz at the end of the movie only Shinji and Asuka were still alive on earth. and thus are human race will restart. those two are the new Adam and Eve and i think u'll know what will happen next huh?

Originally posted on: 23-Mar-2004, 23:39 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:22 pm

HellaSueV wrote:well it doesnt really matter bcz at the end of the movie only Shinji and Asuka were still alive on earth. and thus are human race will restart. those two are the new Adam and Eve and i think u'll know what will happen next huh?

Well, actually, the "Adam & Eve" theory has been pretty much discredited. Rei, Yui, & Kaworu all say that anyone who wants to come back can come back; Shinji & Asuka are just the first to come back right at that location.

Originally posted on: 24-Mar-2004, 01:41 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

HellaSueV wrote:well it doesnt really matter bcz at the end of the movie only Shinji and Asuka were still alive on earth. and thus are human race will restart. those two are the new Adam and Eve and i think u'll know what will happen next huh?

"Alert! Alert! A n00b has been detected in the vicinity! Please evacuate to the nearest available shelter!"

But wayneiac already covered that. Hang around here a bit more and we'll purge you of all your NGE misconceptions -- that's what we do best. :evil:

Originally posted on: 24-Mar-2004, 13:06 GMT

HellaSueV [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby HellaSueV [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:22 pm

well sry for mentioning something thats already mentioned

i didnt take time to read anything from the beginning i just went to the last page and posted

Originally posted on: 24-Mar-2004, 14:08 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

HellaSueV wrote:i didnt take time to read anything from the beginning i just went to the last page and posted

Well, that's fine. The "Adam and Eve" idea is hardly specific to this thread, though -- it's been circulating in fan circles ever since extra-Japanese NGE fans first got their meat hooks on EoE. (I couldn't comment on the Japanese fan situation, since I know next to nothing about it.) It's a giant misconception (that is routinely regurgitated by newbs to this forum) and is somewhat mystifying considering that a lot of dialogue (and some pictorial content) towards the end of the film essentially nullifies the possibility that Shinji and Asuka are going to be alone forever.

Originally posted on: 24-Mar-2004, 14:56 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:22 pm

Here's a thread on another forum where I rant against this bizarre misconception... There are all sorts of indications that others besides Shinji and Asuka will come back, while the only 'evidence' that only those two come back is the fact that we se the two of them alone on the beach together, which is hardly conclusive proof that they're the only two that will ever return to human form.
There are subtle indications that it took quite a while for Asuka to come back, and I can't see any reason to suppose that the others won't too, given enough time.

Originally posted on: 24-Mar-2004, 15:12 GMT

Someone [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Someone [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:22 pm

All right its me again....(dodge a flying chair...)

I want to ask is...Did Asuka really like/love Shinji and do Shinji love/like Asuka genuinely?

This question actually pop up when i watch EoE about the scene where the kitchen take place....

Thanks

Originally posted on: 25-Mar-2004, 07:45 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

There are already multiple topics touching upon this on the first page of threads. You didn't need to start a new one. Image

Originally posted on: 25-Mar-2004, 12:38 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:23 pm

What Reichu said, plus "no".

Originally posted on: 25-Mar-2004, 17:04 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”