Did Asuka Love Shinji?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:18 pm

For some reason eva gives the impression that Yui was an extremely sane and rational woman and if consider this trait a fact it leads to one conclusion, that there must be something about Gendo that can be loved. Which supports my theory that Gendo is not an evil man. His past obviously dictates that people never liked/loved him, so he learned to survive on his own by putting his needs first. So Gendo never learned how to care for people. When he finally was accepted by Yui- her pressence allowed him to feel loved (which is a human need). So after she was absorbed he believed that he could never be loved again until she returned. So he did that which he had grown so accustomed to- he put his needs first.

((I'm going to bed now, sorry if this made no sense I'm tired))

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2003, 20:42 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:18 pm

GandalfsStudent wrote:People really treat Gendo as an inhuman villian which really isn't fair to his character. He is a man who doesn't know how to deal with people- and when he finally finds someone to share his life with she disapears (and since he knows she isn't dead he can't let go). So Gendo spends the rest of his life seeking happiness in his ruthless way (which is again because he doesn't understand people).

Thank you!! Someone gets it!!

So after she was absorbed he believed that he could never be loved again until she returned. So he did that which he had grown so accustomed to- he put his needs first.

Again, Good!!

Also Gendo has that line in EoE "I do not deserve to be loved" He really believed that.

I also like that line, because it was so out of character for the cold harted bastard we all knew. It was like it all just hit him in the end, like a ton of bricks.

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2003, 16:30 GMT

Pazu [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Pazu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:18 pm

They loved each other very much but like most things in the series it was very off the wall and you really have to take as you will and its possiable for everybody to see it in a diffrent light.

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2003, 16:38 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:18 pm

I tend to think that Asuka and Shinji are both far too young and, well, psychologically "confused" to have a really firm grip on the whole concept of love. (I'm nearly 21 and -I- still don't really have a clue about it!) I agree with what was already said about "mutual dependence", though. Both of them have significant voids in their personal lives and, for whatever reason, they see something in one another that could help fill that void.

Both of their problems are rooted in distorted parental issues -- a
mother that was gone all too soon and a father who was more than a little "deficient". In that sense, Asuka and Shinji have some basic in common, an element that could serve to draw them together. And, if both of them were more mature and not quite so screwed up, I don't doubt they have much to offer one another, at least as far as personal support goes.

I've also gotten the sense that Yui is one of the most level-headed, completely down-to-earth characters in the anime. [Fuyutsuki seemed remarkably sane, as well. I also like Kaji -- like anybody, he wasn't perfect, but I think he did pretty good for himself considering his traumatic past (which you only learn about in the manga).] I thought she seemed a little =too= perfect in some ways, though I don't hold that against her. ;;> I don't really think too many women would be willing to sacrifice their human existence and freedom to breath life into an artificial god (i.e., EVA-01) that would eventually play a major role in determining humanity's fate. Her motives for doing it certainly seem virtuous, though I think the fact that Yui went through with it hints at an eccentric streak in her. [And her new body seems to have brought out her more wild and animalian side, as well. ;;p]

I think it's possible that Gendou -initially- approached Yui because of her connections to SEELE, but he fell in love in spite of himself. Yui certainly loved him, despite his flaws -- though I always wondered if she had anything to do with the metaphysical incarnation of EVA-01 that decapitated Gendou in EoE. For some reason, =I= like to think so... That Yui, in the end, couldn't really forgive her love for the vices he had committed in her "absence" and so she dealt justice accordingly.

Just my thoughts.

--Reichu

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2003, 17:36 GMT

DufFuS101 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby DufFuS101 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:18 pm

I keep hearing how Shinji and Asuka are too young, or still kids which might be a bit misleading. From the way it sound, people make it seems that they should be licking lolipops or learing to look both was when crossing the street to their friend's house (an over eggagerationg but hold on). You got to keep in mind that way back then, at their age they would be considered adults. That being said, their lack of knoledge on love is not that they are too young to understand, but due to that they are barely in their teens theys have close to no experience to know how to deal with it. This combined with their crappy childhood what probably disorted their expectations and views on love and each other.

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2003, 18:06 GMT

Faust [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Faust [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:18 pm

Reichu wrote:I think it's possible that Gendou -initially- approached Yui because of her connections to SEELE, but he fell in love in spite of himself. Yui certainly loved him, despite his flaws -- though I always wondered if she had anything to do with the metaphysical incarnation of EVA-01 that decapitated Gendou in EoE. For some reason, =I= like to think so... That Yui, in the end, couldn't really forgive her love for the vices he had committed in her "absence" and so she dealt justice accordingly.

Just my thoughts.

--Reichu

Well, that's why Yui's character is a bit confusing. You're just not given enough information about her to know what she was really thinking, but I guess this also helps keep some of the mysteries going.

I thought that was Yui helping Gendo grant his wish in that scene there... assisted suicide by a lover. Then again, I also thought that Gendo wanted Instrumentality not only to see Yui, but also becuase he eventually realized that his need for that was a huge weakness, and probably indicative of one that the every human had (he didn't think much of other people)... and so decided that he would fix it.

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2003, 18:12 GMT

Orin_Quon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Orin_Quon [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:18 pm

GandalfsStudent wrote:No one is taking into account Yui's feelings for Gendo. It is never told how Gendo and Yui got together but in her conversations with Fuytski Yui makes it quite clear that she loves Gendo. People really treat Gendo as an inhuman villian which really isn't fair to his character. He is a man who doesn't know how to deal with people- and when he finally finds someone to share his life with she disapears (and since he knows she isn't dead he can't let go). So Gendo spends the rest of his life seeking happiness in his ruthless way (which is again because he doesn't understand people).

Every criminal has a "reason" to do bad things. From family issues to loneliness to whatever. But they're still criminals, still need to pay, they're still (quote-unquote) evil.

Comparing to a real-life figure, Gendo is no better than Hitler. I'm pretty sure some people loved Hitler. I'm pretty sure someon saw something good in him.

Both figured they would make things "better". Both had their "reasons". Both are evil, idiot bastards.

Originally posted on: 27-Jul-2003, 08:15 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:18 pm

Orin_Quon wrote:Every criminal has a "reason" to do bad things. From family issues to loneliness to whatever. But they're still criminals, still need to pay, they're still (quote-unquote) evil.

Comparing to a real-life figure, Gendo is no better than Hitler. I'm pretty sure some people loved Hitler. I'm pretty sure someon saw something good in him.

Both figured they would make things "better". Both had their "reasons". Both are evil, idiot bastards.

what did Gendo do before he met Yui that support the theory that he is "evil." Or perhaps before we continue we should define the word "evil."

Originally posted on: 27-Jul-2003, 08:18 GMT

DufFuS101 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

We might need a new topic for that.

Trying to go on-topic, I wonder what are you people's thoughts on the sexual tention between Shinji/Asuka?

Originally posted on: 27-Jul-2003, 08:29 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:18 pm

Orin_Quon wrote:Every criminal has a "reason" to do bad things. From family issues to loneliness to whatever. But they're still criminals, still need to pay, they're still (quote-unquote) evil.

Whoa, whoa, what did Gendo ever do to make him close to Hitler? Can you name one person he ever killed? (Besides Ritzs, that was kind of self defense)

The only evil thing he ever did was use people, like his son, Rei, Ritz and her mom.

But hell, Shinji used people, Misato used people, Kaji took advantage of women, Asuka was donw right mean to people.

Gendo might be more "evil" then any of them, but still not even close to Hitler.

Originally posted on: 27-Jul-2003, 08:38 GMT

DufFuS101 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Numbers do no justice when it comes to personal cruelty. Also Gendo was quite willing to allow the entire Earths population die for his own desires.

Still Hitler is a bit far fetch.

As I said before, something like this would need it's own topic.

Originally posted on: 27-Jul-2003, 08:42 GMT

Orin_Quon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Orin_Quon [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:19 pm

My post refers to people that say "oh, Gendo isn't so bad" or "he only did that because he loved her so much". I mean, does anybody care if Ted Bundy was a nice guy before he started messing with girls?

And i don't know what's the problem with using Hitler as an example. Last time i checked, Hitler wasn't planning on killing* the whole world... Gendo was even worse.

----

* Don't give me the Instrumentality lecture.

Originally posted on: 27-Jul-2003, 00:17 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:19 pm

Orin_Quon wrote:* Don't give me the Instrumentality lecture.

Damn.... Image

Originally posted on: 27-Jul-2003, 01:46 GMT

Ikari_Shinji [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ikari_Shinji [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:19 pm

It's not that Asuka 'loved' Shinji, she wanted his attention or anyone's for that fact. Shinji and Asuka share the same dilemma, the dilemma of feeling worthless and unwanted. They both express themselves very different though: Shinji makes it seem as though he does not want anyone's attention and, thus, gets his attention through pity from others. Asuka gets her attention through the praise of pilotting the eva and looking good I suppose. they're both completely people but one and the same lost soul you could say?

Originally posted on: 27-Jul-2003, 03:43 GMT

DufFuS101 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby DufFuS101 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:19 pm

Ikari_Shinji wrote:It's not that Asuka 'loved' Shinji, she wanted his attention or anyone's for that fact.

While I won't debate wether it's love or not, Asuka values Shinji's attention a lot higher than just "anyone" as shown in Director's Cut episode 22 "You don't even hold me!" while in the extended mind rape.

Originally posted on: 27-Jul-2003, 03:52 GMT

Ikari_Shinji [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ikari_Shinji [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:19 pm

damn, I wish I had the directors cut of that. I wonder why that is because although Asuka may indeed love Shinji there still lies the fact that no one makes her feel any worse than does Shinji and Rei. Is it possible to love someone you hate or think you hate?

Originally posted on: 27-Jul-2003, 20:42 GMT

DufFuS101 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

I guess the closer you are to a person, the more pain they can cause you.

Originally posted on: 29-Jul-2003, 02:20 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:19 pm

DufFuS101 wrote:I guess the closer you are to a person, the more pain they can cause you.

the Hedgehog's Dilemma

Originally posted on: 29-Jul-2003, 02:31 GMT

DufFuS101 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

That was exactly what came to mind when I thought about it.

Originally posted on: 29-Jul-2003, 02:56 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:19 pm

AznDarkBurrow wrote:How much did Asuka actually love Shinji?

Not at all. Not with even one brain cell.

Originally posted on: 05-Mar-2004, 07:22 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”