Die Hard

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue May 29, 2007 12:48 pm

Kaysow wrote:Entertainment should be entertaining, not pretentious. <snip>
No shite. But too often in the last 20 or 30 years unfortunately, Hokeyweird (Hollywood) forgets that. :(
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue May 29, 2007 1:15 pm

You guys are forgetting about the tons of Romantic Comedies, Teen Slasher Movies, B-Action Movies, and Hokey Sci Fi Flicks that Hollywood churns out every year. Most of those aren't pretentious and don't try to do anything but entertain and make money. More often than not Hollywood tries to be entertaining, rather than thought provoking.

It seems to be that the ones we remember are the movies that actually had some originality/depth to them, or were complete disasters, hence the Armageddon discussion.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue May 29, 2007 2:36 pm

True. But those flicks are not the ones that get most of the publicity in recent years. The ones that get all the hype at Cannes or Sundance are the ones that get most of it. It's the "message" films, and you probably know which ones. Here's a hint for an obvious one:
Take a guess at who wrote:I wish I knew how to quit you!

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Tue May 29, 2007 5:06 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:True. But those flicks are not the ones that get most of the publicity in recent years. The ones that get all the hype at Cannes or Sundance are the ones that get most of it. It's the "message" films, and you probably know which ones. Here's a hint for an obvious one:
Take a guess at who wrote:I wish I knew how to quit you!

Fucking brokeback mountain. As far as movies go, they are like any other medium. Quite a few really quality movies, vs an entire mountain of pure, unadulterated shit.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Wed May 30, 2007 5:33 am

Eric Cartman wrote:Naw dude, Independent films are those black and white hippy movies. They're always about gay cowboys eating pudding.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Wed May 30, 2007 9:55 am

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:
Kaysow wrote:Entertainment should be entertaining, not pretentious. <snip>
No shite. But too often in the last 20 or 30 years unfortunately, Hokeyweird (Hollywood) forgets that. :(

Indeed. Somwhere along the line, they forgot to make a quality, entertaining movie *clutches copy od Die Hard*

Anybody see the new Rambo 4 trailer? It's well... awfuly gory.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Wed May 30, 2007 10:22 am

A, there's still slight hope that Die Hard 4 will be worthy. Only slight, as directors today can't really help themselves from including scenes as unbelivable and overly CG-ridden as the Matrix 2 highway *yawn* chase. But that's the way things are moving, and little can be done to stop it.

And B, yeah that trailer is gruesome. It's probably some kinda leak or something.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed May 30, 2007 11:10 am

Kaysow wrote:And B, yeah that trailer is gruesome. It's probably some kinda leak or something.

Apparently it's the preview they showed at Cannes.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed May 30, 2007 11:13 am

Kaysow wrote:
Eric Cartman wrote:Naw dude, Independent films are those black and white hippy movies. They're always about gay cowboys eating pudding.
QFT

Return to “Film and Video”