Only Smart People Like Evangelion?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Archon Eva
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Archon Eva » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:31 am

The only people i know who like evangelion are smart and have an iq over 130.

To turely apriciate it i guees you would have to fall into one or two of the catagories below.
-Smart with iq of 120+.
-Very philosophical.
-Have too much time on your hands.
-Are manicly deprressed.
-Have a sick, twisted, disturbed mind.
-Have mental issues.
In mans own ignorance to find god, we destroyed him. Only to spend the rest of existance trying to recreate him.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:38 am

Sometimes people just like it for entertainment, getting nothing on a deeper level, but they appreciate the show nonetheless.

Archon Eva wrote:-Have too much time on your hands.

This one's not fair. This is the interwebs; we all have too much time on our hands.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:57 am

Trust me, lots of not-so-smart but sane people like Evangelion. They probably just don't generally like it for all of the same reasons the psychotic intellectuals do.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:44 am

Wow. It's not every day that a thread gets revived from a five year slumber.

I more or less stand by my previous statement, circa 2004.

The Eva Monkey wrote:I've observed on a whole, that people either really hate Eva, or really like Eva. And of those that like it, people are either really intellectual and mature, or really immature and at times god awful stupid. So, no, Eva fans aren't really smart by any measure, I find for every intellectual and mature fan, there's one stupid immature fan to negate the intelligence on a whole.

Although, as Gollum stated in Kojiro Abe's skit:

"Evangelion is for smart, sophisticated people and teenage boys with sexual problems, not stupid mentally handicapped bloodthirsty teenage jocks!!"

Also, for good measure, enjoy the audio skit I mentioned:
http://www.evamonkey.com/audio/liveaction_gollum.mp3

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:57 pm

schismatics wrote:
Uriel Septim VII wrote:I like EVA, so no, not only smart people.

This. I'd like to think that I'm smart but in all honestly I'm fairly average. :wink:

Oh man, did you fall into the "IQ determines intelligence" trap like I did? It's interesting to know that the man who invented it discredited its veracity.

The scale, properly speaking, does not permit the measure of intelligence, because intellectual qualities are not superposable, and therefore cannot be measured as linear surfaces are measured.
—Binet, 1905

Even if not, one claiming that they are unintelligent or simply average is often a sign that something higher is going on in the assembly line.
AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

AVman9
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby AVman9 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:41 am

I think it has more to do with how you think rather than how intelligent you are. The more philosophical you are the more entertaining Eva is. Although I might have some diagnosable mental problems (I found myself smiling maniacally at the destruction of Unit 03 and Unit 02 :mwahaha: , rather than feeling disturbed). So I may not be a reliable information source.
Take a wild guess at what the AV means....
Adult Video? -The Eva Monkey

You raise the blade...
You make the change...
You rearrange me 'till I'm sane...

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:43 am

AVman9 wrote:I think it has more to do with how you think rather than how intelligent you are. The more philosophical you are the more entertaining Eva is. Although I might have some diagnosable mental problems (I found myself smiling maniacally at the destruction of Unit 03 and Unit 02 :mwahaha: , rather than feeling disturbed). So I may not be a reliable information source.

As long as you're not as ethically deprived as the folks at /b/, you're good enough.
AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

Archon Eva
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Archon Eva » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:44 am

Sachi wrote:
Archon Eva wrote:-Have too much time on your hands.

This one's not fair. This is the interwebs; we all have too much time on our hands.

However i mean, you have enough tine on your hands to do both.

I think it has more to do with how you think rather than how intelligent you are. The more philosophical you are the more entertaining Eva is. Although I might have some diagnosable mental problems (I found myself smiling maniacally at the destruction of Unit 03 and Unit 02 , rather than feeling disturbed). So I may not be a reliable information source.

That makes sense. I find that twisted minds enjoy eva. I have been diagnosed with mental issues.

I have a screwed up A10 nerve.
In mans own ignorance to find god, we destroyed him. Only to spend the rest of existance trying to recreate him.

AVman9
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby AVman9 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:13 am

Uriel Septim VII wrote:As long as you're not as ethically deprived as the folks at /b/, you're good enough.

Yeah I hate /b/tards

You raise the blade...
You make the change...

AVman9
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby AVman9 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:14 am

Archon Eva wrote:I have a screwed up A10 nerve.

Well played sir.

You raise the blade...
You make the change...

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:45 am

This is an interesting question. I would guess the average intelligence on EvaGeeks is higher than the vast majority of online and real life communities I've been around. Every community has their brilliant minds and idiots, but I definitely think intelligent people seem to be generally drawn to NGE. It's probably because NGE contains so much that tends to appeal to intellectuals or people of certain passions who intellectualize those passions. The narrative alone is so complex and confusing that it tends to provoke people who look at mysterious as intellectual challenges to be solved. But then there's the dramaturgical, thematic, and cinematic richness and complexity which draws in people who appreciate those things.

The people who simply like it for its entertainment value or, perhaps, identify with the characters may not be inherently intelligent, but I actually think it's a compliment to the series that it tends to draw in fans from all walks and all intelligence levels.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Archon Eva
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Archon Eva » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:03 am

AVman9 wrote:
Archon Eva wrote:I have a screwed up A10 nerve.

Well played sir.

I lacks Empathy and higher order thinking, hence the A10 nerve.

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:36 pm

I don't necessarily think someone has to be "smart" to like Evangelion. Look at all the merchandising - that's not really something targeting an intellectual audience. And I mean, what exactly does "smart" mean? If someone is great with math problems but is bigoted, is that person still smart? I guess lots of you guys have been to university, but I would say that except for some universities, that really doesn't make you smart either (and there would be a lot of people I'd consider stupid in those colleges too). I don't think there's any need to elevate oneself above other anime fans - I think a 14 or 15 year old can get the general gist of Eva (unless if you're retarded - but I guess there's a lot of "retarded" people in the world).

I think if you really want to make yourself look smart, go read something like Dune at least. (But maybe it's only so hard for me because my reading comprehension is terrible)

Taekmkm
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Taekmkm » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:32 pm

*Finds Kawaii SD Rei Maid edition doll*

*Wisdom stat raise +15!*
We watched 'The Lion King' in my math class once. After it was over, the teacher passed out worksheets that said: "If the circle of life had a diamter of 46 inches..."

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:22 am

I think people say 'smart' when they actually mean 'slightly disturbed'.

Generally well-adjusted neurotypicals are the ones who don't seem to 'get' it.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:57 am

I'm not trying to be sentimental or push an ethical ideology, but I become dismayed as soon as the gauging of others' intelligence comes into play. I used to roll my eyes at the notion that there is nothing in the universe (discovered so far) that's as complex as the human brain. I would think the people who made such a statement had forgotten about the existence of black holes and quarks, but then I realized that they're supposedly very simple, albeit mysterious and foreign. Surely one can make abductions as to the estimated intellectual capacity of an individual, but to categorize them without any inquiry as to what their absolute mental value is is not my way ta' roll.

Forget about that stupid paragraph and read my spontaneous statistics: The average EVA fan is at least marginally more intelligent than the general populous. Of course with that, one would have to ask who and what falls into "general populous". I also think its safe to say that an "internet frequenter", as I call them, is typically more intelligent than the median (although the user bases of sites like MySpace and Facebook can easily discredit that). Now, someone who goes on a forum for NGE is expected to be at the 80th percentile or higher.

AVman9
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby AVman9 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:20 am

That's kinda what I was going for, Uriel. This is an internet forum, not a chan site. The gauging of intelligence is unnecessary and counterproductive.

You raise the blade...
You make the change...

Archon Eva
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Archon Eva » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:35 am

chaosakita wrote:I don't necessarily think someone has to be "smart" to like Evangelion. Look at all the merchandising - that's not really something targeting an intellectual audience. And I mean, what exactly does "smart" mean? If someone is great with math problems but is bigoted, is that person still smart? I guess lots of you guys have been to university, but I would say that except for some universities, that really doesn't make you smart either (and there would be a lot of people I'd consider stupid in those colleges too). I don't think there's any need to elevate oneself above other anime fans - I think a 14 or 15 year old can get the general gist of Eva (unless if you're retarded - but I guess there's a lot of "retarded" people in the world).

I think if you really want to make yourself look smart, go read something like Dune at least. (But maybe it's only so hard for me because my reading comprehension is terrible)

Smart is relative, generaly people who like eva are smart by societies standard. But there are 8 types of intelegence.
I'm 14 and i have basicly always understood the concept. However i do have some friends who are "smart" but can't understand the conpets, they think it's all, fight, 'm deppressed, fight, nonsense. That's their view.

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:53 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:I think people say 'smart' when they actually mean 'slightly disturbed'.

Generally well-adjusted neurotypicals are the ones who don't seem to 'get' it.

People describe me as "crazy" all of the time, but I don't think I have any major problems interacting with other people.

Uriel Septim VII wrote:Forget about that stupid paragraph and read my spontaneous statistics: The average EVA fan is at least marginally more intelligent than the general populous. Of course with that, one would have to ask who and what falls into "general populous". I also think its safe to say that an "internet frequenter", as I call them, is typically more intelligent than the median (although the user bases of sites like MySpace and Facebook can easily discredit that). Now, someone who goes on a forum for NGE is expected to be at the 80th percentile or higher.

80th percentile of what? How do you measure intelligence?

AVman9 wrote:That's kinda what I was going for, Uriel. This is an internet forum, not a chan site. The gauging of intelligence is unnecessary and counterproductive.

I think the gauging of your own intelligence (to be any higher than it actually is) is equally unproductive.

Archon Eva wrote:Smart is relative, generaly people who like eva are smart by societies standard. But there are 8 types of intelegence.
I'm 14 and i have basicly always understood the concept. However i do have some friends who are "smart" but can't understand the conpets, they think it's all, fight, 'm deppressed, fight, nonsense. That's their view.

Based on your writing, I really wouldn't think you're smart. I really get annoyed when people try to describe themselves as that, and I guess this is my problem with the thread too. Although I love to brag and I'm considered a "genius" by everyone in my school, I think I would hesitate to call myself "smart" either.

But now that I think of it, Serial Experiments Lain is the real anime for smart people. I did not understand a single moment of watching the anime, nor did I understand any of the analysis. In comparison, the analysis of Evangelion is incredibly straight forward, if just hard to write, and all of the plot points tie together.

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:04 pm

Archon Eva wrote:The only people i know who like evangelion are smart and have an iq over 130.

To turely apriciate it i guees you would have to fall into one or two of the catagories below.
-Smart with iq of 120+.
-Very philosophical.
-Have too much time on your hands.
-Are manicly deprressed.
-Have a sick, twisted, disturbed mind.
-Have mental issues.

Archon Eva wrote:Smart is relative, generaly people who like eva are smart by societies standard. But there are 8 types of intelegence.

chaosakita wrote:Based on your writing, I really wouldn't think you're smart.

This wins the thread.
In this time of Rebuild, I'm proud to be one of the few fans of the original NGE, and one of the last proud fans of Asuka Langley Soryu.
Avatar: A fighting boy meets girl on a one night stand, walking into the blue, ending day by day as they dance in a very merry Christmas, continuing on my own as a burning one man force while you come and make my day approaching in the nick of time and always, stand by me.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”