Rei questions

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
KaworuNagisa17
Embryo

Rei questions

•      
  •      

Postby KaworuNagisa17 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:57 pm

this first one was raised in a manga topic

1. Did Rei ever really know she was a clone of Yui?

and this one might be yet another DC continuity error brought up by me

in a fansub of the scenes (bought way before they got here), in episode 23, Fuyutsuki mutters something to Gendo while they observe the empty Dummy Plug tank. I don't remember exactly... something like "Rei Ayanami...the object of your love, the product of my desire"

agh..I just tried finding the DC script on evaotaku and couldn't find it in time (work starts in 5)

so question is...

2. Did Fuyutsuki create Rei, since Yui is used as her body?

thanks
Is Gendo Ikari gonna have to choke a bitch??

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:09 pm

1. Rei's understanding of herself is always very vague, and she is always questioning it. However in episode 19, she does say (in the dub) "If I die, I can be replaced". This may have been a reference to the fact that they could get another "children", but I like to think she was refering to the fact that they could get another Rei out of the tank. Though she may not know she is a clone of Yui, she does have some understanding that she is a clone.

2. Rei was the unexpected by-product of Yui's assumption into Eva Unit 01, her DNA in some way transfered from the Eva to Lilith, which were attached at that time, and Lilith (for a lack of a better term) "produced" the Rei vessels.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:07 pm

Rei was the unexpected by-product of Yui's assumption into Eva Unit 01, her DNA in some way transfered from the Eva to Lilith, which were attached at that time, and Lilith (for a lack of a better term) "produced" the Rei vessels.

:| An entire year of forum frequenting and that's the first time I've ever even heard that explanation. Of course, now that I think about it, it does make the most sense, but however did you come to know that Eva and Lilith were attached?

Although, Rei's lack of knowledge pertaining to her human specimen of origin makes me wonder about that blush in the elevator. Did she have an inkling as to why it was dangerously ironic ground upon which Shinji had set foot?

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:46 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:Although, Rei's lack of knowledge pertaining to her human specimen of origin makes me wonder about that blush in the elevator. Did she have an inkling as to why it was dangerously ironic ground upon which Shinji had set foot?

No. I'd also like to add that I am resisting the urge to strangle you Hexon.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:04 pm

1. not really, unless genetic memory does exist...
2. fuyutski? where did you get that idea..?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:07 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote: :| An entire year of forum frequenting and that's the first time I've ever even heard that explanation. Of course, now that I think about it, it does make the most sense, but however did you come to know that Eva and Lilith were attached?

Test Type opening man. I've even got it on the server.

http://www.evamonkey.com/test_type_opening.avi

Screen Caps: http://www.evamonkey.com/test_type/

Pictures contained are (in order):

Adam
Lilith's mask
Lilith Attached to Eva Unit 01 1-3
A bunch of random dudes
Close up of Unit 01's core, with someone standing on it
Yui in Plug suit

These frames of animation are in the chamber of Gauf scene in the director's cut of episode 23, except they're overlayed and its very difficult to make them out. And the screen caps are raw. They're very blurry in the actual master.

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:52 pm

What about this one???
It seems like aguy in the right, but what are those dark dots?
*insert cool signature here*

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:54 pm

I think they're images of an angel in embryo form, maybe Adam. Its hard to tell.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:39 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:Test Type opening man. I've even got it on the server.

http://www.evamonkey.com/test_type_opening.avi

HOLY SHIT! What the hell was that?
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:25 am

Back to the topic, then why Fuyutsuki said those words?
i didn't understand them either:
"Rei... the product of my despair, and yet the object of your hope.
I guess it's impossible to forget her... "

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:57 pm

I don't recall that line off the top of my head. It certainly wasn't in episode 23, that much is for sure. Fuyutsuki has only one line in that episode, and that's with Gendo. The two are talking about how Rei being alive will cause a commotion, and Gendo replies that he's presented something else to Seele. That being, Ritsuko, in the buff.

But, I'll give you my two cents if you find the right episode number. Its kinda hard to analyze a line like that out of context.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:04 pm

Hmm... I believe what Fuyutsuki meant, is that Rei came to be due to Yui's disappearance. Gendo is able to use Rai to reunite himself with Yui, but Fuyutsuki will not be able to.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:23 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:I don't recall that line off the top of my head. It certainly wasn't in episode 23, that much is for sure. Fuyutsuki has only one line in that episode, and that's with Gendo. The two are talking about how Rei being alive will cause a commotion, and Gendo replies that he's presented something else to Seele. That being, Ritsuko, in the buff.

But, I'll give you my two cents if you find the right episode number. Its kinda hard to analyze a line like that out of context.

How could you say that Eva Monkey??? :shock:
It is from episode 23, director's cut, when Fuyutsuki and Gendo where in the dummy system room, looking at the empty tube.
Here is a link to the script and some images:
[url]http://www.evaotaku.com/director_cut/Episode23/index.html[/url]

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:42 pm

Sorry Nephilim, as many times as I've seen the regular episodes, I still haven't watched the DCs that much.

ADV English Dub

"Rei, the product of my despair, and yet at the same time... the vessel of your hope. In the end I suppose it was unreasonable to expect to forget."

ADV Subtitle

"Rei... She is the product of my despair and at the same time, the vessel of your hope even now. In the end, I suppose it was unreasonable to expect you, to forget."

Eva Otaku / deusXanime Fansub

"Rei... the product of my despair, and yet the object of your hope. I guess it's impossible to forget her..."

I think in this scene, Fuyutsuki is essentially saying that Rei torments him, as her presence serves as a constant reminder of Yui, someone whom he had feelings and desire for, and could never have. He also says that Rei gives hope to Gendo, as through her, Gendo can return Yui to him. He comments that neither of them can simply forget Yui.

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:22 pm

How could you say that Eva Monkey??? :shock:
It is from episode 23, director's cut, when Fuyutsuki and Gendo where in the dummy system room, looking at the empty tube.
Here is a link to the script and some images:
[url]http://www.evaotaku.com/director_cut/Episode23/index.html[/url]

DAMMIT! Just when you think there's nothing else that can take you by suprise, Eva slaps you in face three times before you notice it! Good lord, I need to discuss this in another thread. GAH! *begins to claw eyes out*

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:09 pm

DAMMIT! Just when you think there's nothing else that can take you by suprise, Eva slaps you in face three times before you notice it! Good lord, I need to discuss this in another thread. GAH! *begins to claw eyes out*

Dammit Cain Luppus! You should know by now that Eva will never really cease to bring up new and shocking tidbits!

I mean, we're not unlike those theology and mythology eggheads studying the Bible and Tora for...new...meanings...

:shock: Holy Crap! It's like...with all the religious references, Eva is just our new super, hidden message bible study!

Woah, dude...neat :lol:
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:08 am

Rei was the unexpected by-product of Yui's assumption into Eva Unit 01, her DNA in some way transfered from the Eva to Lilith, which were attached at that time, and Lilith (for a lack of a better term) "produced" the Rei vessels.

Okay, not bad. I like that explantion.
"Everyone but me has gone fucking nuts. I'm the eye of the goddam storm." - Tycho, Penny Arcade (Or a very irrate Fuyutsuki)

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:57 am

he seems somewhat saddened by the loss of yui? i think he is kinda sickened by hte cloning thing...

Punio4
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Punio4 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:54 am

sorry for reviving such an old topic, but i have the director's cut episodes and i cant find these overlaying images anywhere!
IMAGE SIGNATURE NO BAD

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:50 pm

Punio4 wrote:sorry for reviving such an old topic, but i have the director's cut episodes and i cant find these overlaying images anywhere!

The Reiquarium overlays are to be seen on the Resurrection disk 23'; but not on the Platinum 23" - why they were removed we have no idea.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”