Spice Girls & EoE

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Asunji_Yuko
Adam

Spice Girls & EoE

•      
  •      

Postby Asunji_Yuko » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:31 pm

For inexplicable reasons, the hit 90s pop song "Wannabe" by the Spice Girls popped in my head while I was reading a 15 year old analysis about the pre-3rd instrumentality Shinji Asuka scene.

More or less, Shinji tries to come onto Asuka because he doesn't really feel comfortable with anyone except her at that point, she's a last option. He's also not really looking to support, help, or understand her in any way, he just wants someone as an emotional crutch. She's rather hurt not only at this but also that his feelings for her were more or less carnal and not romantic in the fullest sense of the word. Not entirely out of character for a 14 year old boy to have this flaw, nor for a 14 year old girl to be hurt by it. Point is, Shinji had little interest in Asuka as a PERSON. Asuka wants Shinji to genuinely have interest and care about her as a person, like a friend would. We have this lyric from Wannabe:

If you wanna be my lover, you gotta get with my friends
(Gotta get with my friends)
Make it last forever, friendship never ends

Then, he's only looking for an emotional crutch offering nothing in return. He just wants to take. Hence the lyrics:

If you wanna be my lover, you have got to give
Taking is too easy, but that's the way it is

It's impressive how much Anno's writing lines up with real feminine perspective. He's a fan of reading romance novels written by women and it shows.

Follow me for more musings

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”