Rebuild Soundtracks and Music Albums

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Superblunt
Embryo

Rebuild Soundtracks and Music Albums

•      
  •      

Postby Superblunt » Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:38 pm

I searched for similar topics, but couldn't find one that would fit this topic in the past years, so I hope I don't anger anyone with opening this thread.

In reaction to one user asking about the original soundtrack for Eva 3.0+1.0 in another thread, I thought why not answer it in an easy to find post.
Every Rebuild movie had two music albums/CD's released, one with the unedited music that was used in the movie, and one that had all the tracks edited as they appear in the movie itself. The "Shiro Sagisu: Music from..." albums, and the "Original Sound Track" albums. I will use pictures of my own CD's in this thread.

Now, what is weird is that only the first movie had separate retail releases for both albums.

The second film had both albums contained in one release, but also only in the limited first press release of it. It was sold as "Evangelion: 2.0 Original Sound Track" but it had also the "Music from Evangelion: 2.0" as a bonus CD. Subsequent releases only had 1 CD, namely the original soundtrack which means the unedited music for this film is now rarer to find.

For the next film it gets even weirder. The "Music from Evangelion: 3.0" was the only retail release this time. The original soundtrack for Eva 3.0 was only purchasable as a bonus CD in the first press release of the Blu-ray of the movie. Again, subsequent releases of the movie BR did not contain the soundtrack CD anymore, so this time the soundtrack album is rarer to find.

Now we come to the most peculiar situation, the music CD's for Shin Eva. Again, the "Music from Shin Evangelion" was the only retail release. For serious this time. This is the only one I don't own yet, so I will have to make do with random pictures from the internet.

I do own the "Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time Original Sound Track", which was the actual instigator for this thread, since this is the one the aforementioned user was asking about. It does exist then, but it is not easily available. It was not sold for retail, you can only get it as a bonus item when you purchase the Japanese Eva 3.0+1.0 Blu-ray on the Kinkurido online shop.

It appears the bonus is still available if you buy the Blu-ray there. I bought mine 2 months after it was released and still got it, so I'd say go for it, if you want it. You may have to use a proxy service to order it, since it appears Kinkurido don't sell internationally themselves. I used Treasure Japan, but there are several out there (Buyee, for example, but it didn't work for me though). It is a rather expensive purchase, but I am glad to own the album and don't regret the purchase at all.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Rebuild Soundtracks and Music Albums

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:49 pm

Great post!
I'm aware of the releases, but it gets confusing, so I'm sire tjid can help some people.
Hope I can get the discs I'm missing one day...
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”