NTE's interpretation of the characters

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: NTE's interpretation of the characters

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:50 pm

It really isn't, no. I do like NTE, but its handling of Shiki in particular does leave things to be desired
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

RussianRiz
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RussianRiz » Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:13 pm

Unfortunately, the major flaw of NTE is that it is too Shinji-centric. Any additional character development is diminished by this narrative construction. It's not that there isn't a story without Shinji, but it's far from being in the same level in the plot.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:01 pm

What I always liked the most about NGE was that it didn't feel like the world revolved around Shinji, how Misato, Asuka, Rei and others had their whole lives independent of Shinji. Then in EoTV and EoE both one of the central conflicts is Shinji having to realize these other characters are separate individuals and he has to learn how to deal with their individuality, their separation of him even if this gap is bridged by Instrumentality. This isn't really a thing in NTE anymore, which saddens me greatly. I don't like how Shikinami acts like a bit of a plot resolution device for Shinji, but she's still not nearly as affected by this in comparison to her NGE self as Misato is. I feel she lost the most characterization.
Last edited by FelipeFritschF on Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:23 am

^ Asuka is by far the most egregious example of this, I HAVE to believe that the “curse of Eva” also kept her mentally stunted because the alternative proposition is that this 28 year old woman still has hang-ups over some boy she knew for a couple months 14 goddamn years ago.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:49 am

View Original PostArcher wrote:^ Asuka is by far the most egregious example of this, I HAVE to believe that the “curse of Eva” also kept her mentally stunted because the alternative proposition is that this 28 year old woman still has hang-ups over some boy she knew for a couple months 14 goddamn years ago.

You probably shouldn't take it too literally.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:01 pm

I don't think its fair to frame Shinji just as some random high school crush Asuka never got over (There's uh, kind of a lot of near-apocalyptic and outright apocalyptic events that relationship is all tied up in!), and I never really got the impression that Asuka had spent the whole 14 years pining over Shinji or anything. I always figured its that Shinji suddenly being back in her life is what caused old feelings and frustrations to bubble back up to the surface much like with Misato and Kaji, particularly in the original series.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:08 pm

I think that, much like Episode 22 before the DC, this was a more reasonable interpretation. Regrettably, -120min, I think, made her character way more attached to Shinji.

Even now, however, I think we can generally think that Shinji meant a lot to her because he influenced her life so much and her sole friendship with Mari clearly didn't fill the void completely. In NGE Sohryu was also not all that close to Misato, and I always found it interesting how she did try to get close to Sohryu but ended up kinda giving up in later episodes. Shikinami seems much more distant from "the colonel" in comparison, so she is even more dependent on Shinji for her development and it seems Mari doesn't do much on her own. I'm not satisfied with it frankly, I think Asuka's character deserves independence.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:42 am

Yeah, -120 really does not do Asuka any favors. A shame, really
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:44 pm

I don't really take -120min into account when thinking about Rebuild.
It's a fanservice short by someone other than Anno. It was fun for what it is and very pretty but that's about it.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:52 am

Dito. It came up elsewhere the other day, and the more you think about it, the less sense it makes. Ah yes, Asuka has to wear her old plug suit for this mission because clearly, Shinji would not recognize her otherwise. Because that makes sense.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:31 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:It's a fanservice short by someone other than Anno.

If these are the reasons why you don't take it into account, I have bad news for you... XD
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:50 pm

It's authored by the co-directors Tsurumaki, Anno's right hand and likely candidate for a new Eva thing, and Maeda, a very notable director Anno specifically brought on the NTE project with 3.0 and Matsubara, the new character designer who apparently supplanted Sadamoto after his noodle incident, and it was Anno's personal idea and initiative.

https://webnewtype.com/report/article/1041222/

Anno is still credited with "planning, original story and supervisor" but that might just be the usual attribution of him within the larger franchise.

https://www.evangelion.co.jp/news/210607-2/

He at the very least told them to do it, which is less involvement than he had with some NGE episodes, particularly 4, which Satsukawa worked on alone (and his absence from NTE has left a void, possibly). Eva is not just Anno, including NGE, but especially not NTE where he had to ask Ogata for her opinions on how to end it, and yet he was still involved in it. And that was before they elevated it and chose to re-release it as an OVA alongside - 48h, deliberately removing any ambiguity because of it being originally included in the EEE fanservice pamphlet. So whether you like it or not (and I don't), we can't discount it.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:04 pm

Yeah, if Asuka's characterization being penned by Tsurumaki makes it secondary canon ... so would her writing in NTE, which Tsurumaki has largely (almost exclusively) been attributed.
Après moi le déluge!

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:01 pm

Personally, I don't really care who wrote it; it's a badly thought out, badly executed afterthought of a sidestory, so I treat it the same way as I treat the equivalent sidestories in Gundam: Ignore its existence unless absolutely necessary. We've been blessed in that regard that we didn't have many of those for Eva, but I strongly recommend adapting some variation of that maxim; it makes navigating ever-expanding stories so much less of a pain to deal with

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”