How does NERV know how many angels there are?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Asunji_Yuko
Adam

How does NERV know how many angels there are?

•      
  •      

Postby Asunji_Yuko » Wed May 31, 2023 9:38 am

Presumably, the First Ancestral Race spread seeds of Life and Knowledge across the galaxy, the ones that landed on Earth weren't the only ones.

Since the angels that attack are all Adam derived and appear from space, seems reasonable that they're derived from (a) seed(s) of Life elsewhere in the galaxy.

That being the case, how does NERV know they've killed all angels? Couldn't there be thousands or even millions of them throughout the Milky Way? Come to think of it, there are probably also other Lilan civilizations out there...

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

Re: How does NERV know how many angels there are?

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Wed May 31, 2023 11:58 am

Do you remember this thing that kept getting mentioned throughout the series (or at least early on) called the Dead Sea Scrolls
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

Asunji_Yuko
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Asunji_Yuko » Wed May 31, 2023 12:30 pm

View Original PostMsenjaKagami wrote:Do you remember this thing that kept getting mentioned throughout the series (or at least early on) called the Dead Sea Scrolls

Ah, I see. They were a prophecy in addition to instructions for using the Seeds of Life/Knowledge.

Apparently Gendo Ikari said they didn't tell them everything. Maybe the First Ancestral Race didn't want the recreation of a "godlike" figure via fusion of Adam and Lilith again and could also see the future to an extent. Maybe that "godlike" being is what led to their extinction in the first place, and that's why they separated their essence into Seeds of Life and Seeds of Knowledge.

Too bad they didn't explore why the FAR went extinct in the first place. Maybe there was some horrific invader outside of the galaxy that noticed the FAR's power and caused their extinction, thus necessitating the separation of their essence so as not to attract said invaders again. But since GNR and third impact happened....they're coming back. I dunno, I would've found that more engaging than the Rebuilds.

MG2005
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MG2005 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:35 pm

View Original PostAsunji_Yuko wrote:Presumably, the First Ancestral Race spread seeds of Life and Knowledge across the galaxy, the ones that landed on Earth weren't the only ones.

Since the angels that attack are all Adam derived and appear from space, seems reasonable that they're derived from (a) seed(s) of Life elsewhere in the galaxy.

That being the case, how does NERV know they've killed all angels? Couldn't there be thousands or even millions of them throughout the Milky Way? Come to think of it, there are probably also other Lilan civilizations out there...

The Dead Sea Scrolls foretold humanity (SEELE and NERV) about how many Angels would appear.

Sefirot Tree Of Life
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sefirot Tree Of Life » Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:54 pm

I believe Gendo and SEELE know how many Angels there are. It is possible that Fuyutsuki and Yui do as well. Outside of that, I do not think anyone else in NERV, not even Ritsuko, knows the truth. Gendo and SEELE I think are the only ones who know about the Dead Sea Scrolls. Misato was out of the loop and didn't even know Lilith was in NERV's basement. If Misato doesn't know, I doubt anyone else aside from Gendo and maybe Ritsuko knows. Everyone else at NERV was sworn to confidentiality and a need to know basis. I think the average NERV employee just thought they'd be killing Angels forever.

at1vanhal3n
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby at1vanhal3n » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:20 pm

I think the average NERV employee just thought they'd be killing Angels forever.

But isn't there a scene after the final angel battle where Aida and Hyuga (maybe even Ibuki?) talk about what their purpose at NERV will be following defeating all the angels? While I could see them being told following Kaworu that their time fighting angels was over, if that's so top secret why would Aida, Hyuga and Ibuki know?
uhhhhhh i've seen this show 25 times (yes ive counted) and i keep finding new things to talk abt so might as well here lol

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:40 pm

It's early on in EoE, yeah
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

bulwhark
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby bulwhark » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:59 am

View Original Postat1vanhal3n wrote:
I think the average NERV employee just thought they'd be killing Angels forever.

But isn't there a scene after the final angel battle where Aida and Hyuga (maybe even Ibuki?) talk about what their purpose at NERV will be following defeating all the angels? While I could see them being told following Kaworu that their time fighting angels was over, if that's so top secret why would Aida, Hyuga and Ibuki know?

Given their role in battles and proximity to command staff I can easily see them having a "need to know."

Maybe a little more realistic (and humorous) scenario is after defeating Kaworu, Gendo calls an all hands meeting and says, "Good news everyone! All the angels have been defeated. HR has a pile of folders outlining your severance packages. A few of you will need to stick around as we wind things down. Thanks again for saving the world. Good luck at your news jobs."

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”