where was the live action footage in End of Evangelion filmed (and who is in it?)

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
user12345
Embryo

where was the live action footage in End of Evangelion filmed (and who is in it?)

•      
  •      

Postby user12345 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:28 am

Hi all,

I'm sure this is probably a well-known fact but I figured if anyone would know it would be you guys.

I've always been curious as to who these three women are. Anyone know?

Where is this footage being filmed? Is it also Shinjuku, where the footage of the audience comes from?

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: where was the live action footage in End of Evangelion filmed (and who is in it?)

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:41 am

Don't know if this helps:
https://youtu.be/uLyPNje8oiw
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Re: where was the live action footage in End of Evangelion filmed (and who is in it?)

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:56 am

The live action portions, which were originally different and significantly longer, had the voice actors playing the roles. The characters in the street are actually mannequins as the above video showed. Deleted live action sequences were shot 19th-25th January 1997, while the reshot materials were done 8th-10th May. The audience sequence was shot at an early Death and Rebirth screening 14th March at the Shinjuku Milano which no longer exists.

Radioman
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Radioman » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:49 am

I googled both in English and Japanese, but couldn't find exact location where this scene with Misato, Asuka and Rei standing in a crowd was filmed. So, I registered on this forum only to post the result of my personal investigation.
TL;DR: 35°40'05.3"N 139°36'00.5"E Chitose-karasuyama station, Setagaya City, Tokyo

Investigation details:
SPOILER: Show
Starting point is あかしや [akashiya] advertising signs on the poles along the street. I can recognize the first (千)[sen] and the last (山)[yama] small Kanjis that written below, but because of low video resolution Kanjis in between absolutely not readable. Last one I assume is (駅) [eki] (station) that make sense. So, all we need is to find station in Tokyo that name starting with 千 and ends with 山 with two complicated Kanjis in between.
I also watched that video posted above, where Hideaki Anno filming this scene, on 14:49 you can see the same あかしや advertising and on 14:53 you can see the train arriving. A lot of time passed since 1997 and everything changed here in Tokyo... Except trains! I immediately recognized Keyo line (京王線) train with dark red stripe. So, let's inspect this line for our station. It took not much time, just few stations from Shinjuku we found it. Chitose-karasuyama staton! (千歳烏山駅) exactly what we looked for! Let's go to Google street view.
We are searching for "classic" Japanese narrow street with a lot of shops near the station. On original movie frame we also can recognize 南烏山 6-4 (of course, only "6-4" is somehow recognizable, but since we know the location, everything come in place now) so, 6-4 is northen side from station, and there is one long and narrow street. On Google street view we can change the date when photo was taken. Earliest possible date is July 2009. Still very far away from 1997, but better than October 2022. There is no more あかしや, but we can see a lot of other similarities with movie scene. E.g. blue advertising sign 京王メガネセンター (Keyo: megane senta:] is still there! That is it. Case closed.

Asunji_Yuko
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Asunji_Yuko » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:30 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Don't know if this helps:
https://youtu.be/uLyPNje8oiw

I always wondered how they'd handle this in the English dub if it were in the final cut.

I doubt they'd reshoot it with Tiffany Grant, so would she just dub over Miyamura's voice with Tiffany's? :tongue:

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”