Is AI the real life Human Instrumentality project?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Luigi shinji
Adam

Is AI the real life Human Instrumentality project?

•      
  •      

Postby Luigi shinji » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:07 am

I recently following the news about the advencements of Ai's and I think we are extremely close to have technologies that make it possible to reject reality entirely.

I think we are all gonna be in the same situation as Shinji was in EOE.

What do you folks think about it?

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Is AI the real life Human Instrumentality project?

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:31 pm

I don't think I quite follow. AI, at current, is still little more than a gadget to parse large amounts of data for patterns and simulate results out of a large amount of data; I don't at all see how it relates to Instrumentality
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Luigi shinji
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Luigi shinji » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:16 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:I don't think I quite follow. AI, at current, is still little more than a gadget to parse large amounts of data for patterns and simulate results out of a large amount of data; I don't at all see how it relates to Instrumentality

These technologies are make it availble for everyone to visualize their fantasies for now in still images, but given how fast these technologies advencing it will be possible for motion picture and virtual 3D enviorments aswell. This combined with the advences of virtual reality technologies will make it possible to reject reality entirely.

I think this will cause a situation where people chose to reject their real life and live all of their life within these AI and VR created realities.

Now the Instrumentality project had a totaly different premis but I think the end results for the real life word will be the same as in EOE.

Or may be I see too much into it, but I feel a huge resemblance with Shinji's relation to Instrumentality to our relations to these new AI technologies.

(I'm sorry for my english, but I hope it is understandble enough what want to say)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:29 am

In the form of self-bootstrapping general AI, then that is a common scenario for a technological Singularity in speculations on the subject -a hard-takeoff SysOp Event, in the turn-of-the-century jargon for the subject, manifesting as something along the lines of EoE's Third Impact. Indeed that's whence terms like "Transition Guide" entered the lexicon here.

In terms of the state of the art, where we're publicly at with things like ChatGPT or Stable Diffusion, I can only channel the words of Marvin the paranoid android : "What a depressingly stupid machine." What they output is best summed up as "if you don't care in detail where you're going, it doesn't particularly matter precisely where you end up."

So, not this year, I don't think.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:06 pm

Yeah, I think you're severely overestimating the capabilities of AI and the collective readiness of accepting it as a way to shape personal reality. As it stands, AI, despite the name, is quite stupid
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:20 pm

View Original PostLuigi Shinji wrote:These technologies are make it availble for everyone to visualize their fantasies for now in still images, but given how fast these technologies advencing it will be possible for motion picture and virtual 3D enviorments aswell. This combined with the advences of virtual reality technologies will make it possible to reject reality entirely.

I think this will cause a situation where people chose to reject their real life and live all of their life within these AI and VR created realities.

Now the Instrumentality project had a totaly different premis but I think the end results for the real life word will be the same as in EOE.

Or may be I see too much into it, but I feel a huge resemblance with Shinji's relation to Instrumentality to our relations to these new AI technologies.

(I'm sorry for my english, but I hope it is understandble enough what want to say)

I understand your perspective. My answer to your topical question is "no," because while Instrumentality eliminates barriers between people, I expect that the use of AI and VR to "reject reality entirely" would do the opposite: erect new barriers between people. I think we can already see this trend forming insofar as current social media technology (which helps people communicate in certain ways!) is ironically an isolating force.

Luigi shinji
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Luigi shinji » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:13 pm

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:I understand your perspective. My answer to your topical question is "no," because while Instrumentality eliminates barriers between people, I expect that the use of AI and VR to "reject reality entirely" would do the opposite: erect new barriers between people. I think we can already see this trend forming insofar as current social media technology (which helps people communicate in certain ways!) is ironically an isolating force.

Yes ai and Instrumentality have different out comes but in the view point of a single person it looks similar :
Choose an abstrackt way of exictence over real life.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:In the form of self-bootstrapping general AI, then that is a common scenario for a technological Singularity in speculations on the subject -a hard-takeoff SysOp Event, in the turn-of-the-century jargon for the subject, manifesting as something along the lines of EoE's Third Impact. Indeed that's whence terms like "Transition Guide" entered the lexicon here.

In terms of the state of the art, where we're publicly at with things like ChatGPT or Stable Diffusion, I can only channel the words of Marvin the paranoid android : "What a depressingly stupid machine." What they output is best summed up as "if you don't care in detail where you're going, it doesn't particularly matter precisely where you end up."

So, not this year, I don't think.

A few month passed since you write this and today I read an article about ai that said we are pretty close to singularity but I hope you are the one end up right.

Double post; merged - JoelcrNeto

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:40 pm

If anything AI will drive us in the opposite direction from synthesis. Hyper-polarization is already occurring based on every current algorithm, and it's making people understand each other less, not more. AI, because it's not going to be used in a vacuum, will accelerate the current corporate MO of hyper-individualism and isolation. I don't think Eva resembles anything remotely true to reality in a political or sociological sense; it's, to my mind, exclusively successful as personal and psychological metaphor. The interesting stuff about to go down, in reality, is how different kinds of ideologies and political forces put AI to their uses, and the novel schisms this will create culturally through ripple effect.
Après moi le déluge!

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:12 am

View Original PostLuigi Shinji wrote:A few month passed since you write this and today I read an article about ai that said we are pretty close to singularity but I hope you are the one end up right.

There is a lot of reporting out there that either fuly does not understand what AI is or does, or wants you to believe that it is something far more capable than it actually is to get people to click on the article.
As the old saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is

Tony15
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tony15 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:19 pm

I get what you're saying about the similarities for super AGI, once the language of the mind is decoded and can be translated and transcripted to other substrates that can process the same cognitive tasks, I think you might be onto something, but instead of soup it will be servers lol

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:42 pm

I don't think that one will ever happen; certainly not within the lifetime of any of us here. I'm not a programmer nor a neurologist, but I am working in the field of tech, and we are nowhere near any AI that passes the Turing test, not to mention the vast amounts of things we still have no idea about how they work in our brains

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:02 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:I don't think that one will ever happen; certainly not within the lifetime of any of us here. I'm not a programmer nor a neurologist, but I am working in the field of tech, and we are nowhere near any AI that passes the Turing test, not to mention the vast amounts of things we still have no idea about how they work in our brains

Haven't there been credible instances in the last year of text-based LLMs passing Turing tests, at least informally? I thought there had been.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:18 pm

Not to my knowledge. There was a bit of an uproar after some chatbots produced text to the effect that they were sentient, which was hyped up by techbros, clickbait outlets and a couple other groups as proof that they were, while everyone actually familiar with the technology was quick to point out that they only fed back recombined snippets of human writing, kind of like putting the words "I am sentient" into a word document, pressing ctrl+p and then worrying that your printer might be sentient; none of the chatbots have the technical prerequisites for General Artificial Intelligence, as they do not have any contextual understanding (or any understanding at all for that matter), it is just repeating statistical text patterns; which is why sometimes, you just get complete non sequiturs

Asunji_Yuko
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Asunji_Yuko » Tue May 16, 2023 4:23 pm

View Original PostLuigi Shinji wrote:I recently following the news about the advencements of Ai's and I think we are extremely close to have technologies that make it possible to reject reality entirely.

I think we are all gonna be in the same situation as Shinji was in EOE.

What do you folks think about it?

In a manner of speaking, like escaping reality, I can see what you mean.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”