Discussion thread about the crossover between Evangelion, Ultraman, Godzilla and Kamen Rider. What we should expect?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

Discussion thread about the crossover between Evangelion, Ultraman, Godzilla and Kamen Rider. What we should expect?

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:10 am

Hello, some hours ago it was announced on project Shin Japan Heroes Universe, that it seem to be a crossover between Shin Ultraman, Shin Kamen Raider, Shin Godzilla and Shin Evangelion https://www.eva-info.jp/16179

https://twitter.com/shin_ultraman/statu ... 3OCEA&s=19 The Twitter profile of Shin Ultraman affirmed that the fans should wait some kind development in the future, they even left the link for what it seem the official site for this project https://sjhu.jp/

So my questions are what we should expect to see next?

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Discussion thread about the crossover between Evangelion, Ultraman, Godzilla and Kamen Rider. What we should expect?

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:04 am

Most likely more merchandise, and maybe a ride in Japan. Wouldn't expect too much more than that.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

Re: Discussion thread about the crossover between Evangelion, Ultraman, Godzilla and Kamen Rider. What we should expect?

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:25 pm

Yeah it can be, but who knows? Maybe at least a manga or a videogame like the one of 2017 called City Shrouded in Shadow

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:33 pm

Yeah, that. Maybe a short film or two as trailer, and probably also some pachinko thing that most of us are never gonna have a chance to play.
I'll happily take more than that, but I'm not holding my breath for it
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:44 pm

What I really hope is a little series of a OVA but I know that is hard that it will happens. The panchiko could be a possibility.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:40 pm

The exact same type of things as we got from Evangelion Vs Godzilla in 2016-ish
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:36 am

Yeah I'm almost sure that action figures and t-shirt will be released but perhaps something more serious and important could be realized next.

Asugran233
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Asugran233 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:15 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:The exact same type of things as we got from Evangelion Vs Godzilla in 2016-ish

Yeah We did get a 3-D Ride movie but it's not the same, really movie would be better (I wonder if it will be a 2D or Live-action movie (if live-action we get first Evangelion live-action movie))

PS: I don't know why Evangelion belongs to Shin Japan Heroes Universe if it's not tokusatsu unless Anno loves Evangelion so much that he can't live without him

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:00 am

View Original PostAsugran233 wrote:Yeah We did get a 3-D Ride movie but it's not the same, really movie would be better (I wonder if it will be a 2D or Live-action movie (if live-action we get first Evangelion live-action movie))

It can be that it could another 3-D Ride movie, I dunno the Live Action. I'm hope instead to see one or two OVA.

View Original PostAsugran233 wrote:PS: I don't know why Evangelion belongs to Shin Japan Heroes Universe if it's not tokusatsu unless Anno loves Evangelion so much that he can't live without him

Well it can that Evangelion belongs to Shin Japan Heroes Universe because of this: 3.0+1.0 in Japan is called Shin Evangelion, the four film involved in Shin Japan Heroes Universe share the fact that they are directed by Anno and have the word Shin in their title.

Asugran233
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Asugran233 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:37 am

Well it can that Evangelion belongs to Shin Japan Heroes Universe because of this: 3.0+1.0 in Japan is called Shin Evangelion, the four film involved in Shin Japan Heroes Universe share the fact that they are directed by Anno and have the word Shin in their title.

Well, how is it like that.I wonder if other heroes will later join to SJHU.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:57 am

View Original PostAsugran233 wrote:Well, how is it like that.I wonder if other heroes will later join to SJHU.

It think that it can be that other heroes will join, Anno one day could make something like a Shin Gamera or Shin Nausicaa or even a Shin Gundam if he find himself in a situation when him can do so.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:44 pm

The website posted Anno's personal commentary regarding the purpose and goal of SJHU as project, you can read the original here: https://sjhu.jp/news/14/

Here's a copy of my translation from Twitter:
SPOILER: Show
SJHU is conceived through discussions among the involved companies, from the idea of bringing together characters that are the part Japanese culture's pride in a form of collaboration, and expanding the reach for the audience in the rest of the world to enjoy.

And in order to leap beyond the boundaries of each work's 'world' and legalities of the right holders, we used the shared 'Shin' brand as the common denominator for this project. It's designed to allow immense creative freedom for further developments of established characters, without being constrained to my (Hideaki Anno's) personal visions.

Naturally, coordinating such project with abundance of copyrights is extremely difficult, and on a business standpoint it's not very beneficial. It's only possible when the right holders actually care about the fans and cooperate with each other beyond business reasonings.

In the future, we aim to expand not only domestically but also internationally, to be the cornerstone for the development of other works where we don't have to use the 'Shin' brand anymore, and goes beyond just 'Heroes' but also other 'Characters'.

We hope through SJHU's developments, the fans will be pleased with this new way to enjoy these characters beyond the frameworks of their worlds.

Thank you very much.

- Hideaki Anno, anime and tokusatsu fan

From the way I comprehend it, SJHU is less interested in the popular concept of "Building a cinematic universe so these characters can cross over" but more on giving a creative space for creators to make their "Shin" versions of established/popular characters, and Anno gave his blessings to use that branding without necessarily involving him.

It's still all about branding, more than merchandising, less of a SHINematic Universe. Kinda like A24, but for anime and toku, which is hella sick.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:49 pm

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:It's still all about branding, more than merchandising, less of a SHINematic Universe. Kinda like A24, but for anime and toku, which is hella sick.

Mmm well I still hope that in way or in a another it could be possibile that Evangelion 01 will meet Godzilla, Kamen Raider and Ultraman. For me it would really interesting if will be introduce a completely new character that not belongs to nobody of the series involved but is realized just for play the role of the villain of the crossover, powerful enough to forced Eva 01, Godzilla, Ultraman and Kamen Raider to work together for save the day.

Asugran233
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Asugran233 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:46 am

Mmm well I still hope that in way or in a another it could be possibile that Evangelion 01 will meet Godzilla, Kamen Raider and Ultraman. For me it would really interesting if will be introduce a completely new character that not belongs to nobody of the series involved but is realized just for play the role of the villain of the crossover, powerful enough to forced Eva 01, Godzilla, Ultraman and Kamen Raider to work together for save the day.
[/quote]

But what could it be like? Fully animated, 2D mix and live-action? Full live-action it is not known ... what would be a full live-action, what actor will they employ for the role of Shinji?

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:55 am

Asugran223 I dunno, we don't even know jet what the Shin Japan Heroes Universe will really give to us. At least for the moment I have decided to fantasize and hope that something like an animated trilogy could come.

About a possibile actor for Shinji I don't know very the Japanese actors so I don't have any idea of who could be Shinji. Also I have a particular interest in a detail that is mentioned on the site:

the fact that the site affirmed that Shin Evangelion (3.0 + 1.0) will be part of the collaboration but the site does not refer to the Rebuild of Evangelion saga itself, so it can be that the site may have confirmed that the Angels and the plot's stuff of 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 will not be involved in SJPH :???:

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:34 am

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:the fact that the site affirmed that Shin Evangelion (3.0 + 1.0) will be part of the collaboration but the site does not refer to the Rebuild of Evangelion saga itself, so it can be that the site may have confirmed that the Angels and the plot's stuff of 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 will not be involved in SJPH :???:

Shin Eva is there by the virtue of being the first シン・-named thing ever (the title was announced in 2012, predating Shin Godzilla by four years), it's a matter of formality than anything. Even if there's indeed a crossover film, I don't think it'd take place in a specific canon, not like Japan shares the similar concept of canon as the rest of the world anyway.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:47 am

Well, the first "Shin" titled thing by Anno. The prefix itself has been around for decades for other things; many a Go Nagai sequel/reboot comes to mind
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:11 pm

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote: Even if there's indeed a crossover film, I don't think it'd take place in a specific canon, not like Japan shares the similar concept of canon as the rest of the world anyway.

Well speaking about crossover outside the cannon it was already realized Shin Godzilla vs Evangelion in that 4D attraction, Godzilla vs Evangelion it also have get a event in Super Robot Wars Cross Omega plus the collaborations together with some mobile games.

For me it also can be that Godzilla, Evangelion 01, Ultraman and Kamen Raider all 4 could somehow be teleported from their respective universes into the world that could be that of the hypothetical villain and after defeating him each of them could return to respective world.

Of course this for now is just my imagination, but who knows?

Edit: For who that could be interested I have opened another 2 threads today, one dedicated to talk about the possibilities of getting a remake of the Secret Of Blue Water and in what way the Rebuild's stuff could influenced it, instead the other is about speculate who could be the characters, series and franchise that could get a live action from Anno and so be the next that will join the Shin Japan Heroes Universe.

Here the links:
thread/21234/If-Khara-will-make-a-remake-of-the-Secret-Of-Blue-Water-you-will-watched-it/

post/934316/Who-could-be-the-next-heroes-of-japan-culture-pop-that-Anno-may-give-a-live-action-and-and-add-them-to-SJHU/

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:05 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Well, the first "Shin" titled thing by Anno. The prefix itself has been around for decades for other things; many a Go Nagai sequel/reboot comes to mind

Said "Shin" prefix usually alternates between 真 and 新, each with clear definition of "True" and "New", like 真・仮面ライダー or 新ゲッターロボ, Anno's Shin uses シン katakana with an ambiguous meaning (if there's any) and in Japan is uniquely associated to Anno's recent works, to a memetic level even. So Shin Eva is still the first ever シン-named thing ever.

So yeah, there are two unrelated "Shin Kamen Rider" films now, one goes with 真 and the other with シン.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:31 pm

That is true, yeah. I lost entirely too much time to that kanji difference looking for figures from those works, but that is neither here nor there
I do seem to recall that there was some other property that used katakana Shin as title, but I'm not 100% positive if it was actually a title or an elaborate shitpost

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”