Fibonacci numbers and games with the Evas

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Fibonacci numbers and games with the Evas

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:29 am

This is probably one of the odd things that randomly popped into my head, and we've had some of these number discussions on the Apkallu Discord but I've either not been around for all of them or just don't remember this being brought up.

In Rebuild we have Eva-00, 01, 02, 03, 05, 08 and 13 and Mark.06, Mark.04(Nemesis series) and Mark.09, and now Mark. 10.

The Fibonacci number series has each number serve as the sum of the two preceding ones.

It goes - 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21...

Excluding the repetition of one, notice how the Evangelions that have the simple "Eva" designation match their designations with the series? And how those Evas that do not fall into the series fall into the "Mark" designation, with the possible exception of the original lost Eva-04?

And it gets better. The Mark.06 is meant to be a "True Evangelion" or "True God" as opposed to a "False God". It turns out that the number 6 is the first of the perfect numbers, a number which is equal to the sum of its divisors. 1 x 2 x 3 = 1 + 2 + 3

If we do see Mark.06 again, perhaps we'll see why it was so special. It's number certainly called it out!

There is a set of pernicious numbers, whose definition is a bit more complex in terms of words but simple in practice, in this case the number of 1s in the binary representation of these numbers is prime. So that gives us the following series -
3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

4 aside, this neatly encapsulates the list of "evil" Evas, Evas that need to be gotten rid of (05), Evas that never appeared (07) and Evas that are possibly no good and yet to appear (10 is confirmed, 11 and 12 seem likely now).

Makes me wonder if the similar list of Rei clones has a similar numerical logic to it, but that's for another post. Just something to think about while Shin Eva approaches in a little more than a day...
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”