Shin Eva: A new art style towards the ending?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Shin Eva: A new art style towards the ending?

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:07 am

A new Shin Eva poster in this tweet by Megumi Ogata (Shinji's voice actor) got me thinking about the art style of Shin Eva.

I mean, this is a far more sketch-heavy and weird, low-detail way of drawing the Eva characters, close to Episodes 25 and 26 of the original NGE but still not quite the same, and the ones further in the background are particularly hard to recognize. And we did get a brief glimpse of something similar to that in the piano sequence between Shinji and Kaworu in 3.0, the bizarre fairy-tale like imagery of white stallions prancing against a sky-like background. That and the general feeling that this is meant to represent some kind of ending makes me wonder if the art style later in the movie is going to be deliberately reminiscent of Episodes 25 and 26.

Those two TV episodes were completed in a mad rush while incorporating that deep character analysis into the story, hence their rather unique appearance, but it appears that Anno may be invoking that for deliberate artistic purposes this time.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Shin Eva: A new art style towards the ending?

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:42 am

For what it's worth, I remember a "rumor" that said the film sould have an art style close to Dragon Ball Broly. So far nothing like that. It probably holds no basis.

But I think you're onto something expecting experimentation with art style. There was also this khara animator saying that not since his student days was he reminded this much of how interesting animation is. Khara shared his tweet too. We had live action in EoE, maybe here we'll stay with animation but do all sorts of things with it. In NGE I'd say the art style stayed the same, but at the end we got see different phases of production. Well there's the part where Shinji runs into Rei amd they're chibi lol.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:12 am

I think it’s just an artistic style that Mahiro Maeda wanted to do. This “sketch-heavy” appearance style is nothing new:
EVANGELION:3.0+1.0 first poster  SPOILER: Show

Even so, his hypothesis is pertinent, it may be that Anno uses this “draft” style at some point in the film, even though the audience has previously hated it (but I love that artistic madness from episodes 25 and 26).
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:43 am

^26 is my favorite NGE episode, I've never understood the hate towards EoTV.

If we do get some different art styles in Shin, that would be quite awesome!

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:24 pm

That's wasn't an official poster but a sketch one of the staff made for the staff screening of the movie tho.

There was probably not the time or indeed the need for it to be more than a sketch nor is it even and official promo material, so I highly doubt its indicative of the actual movie
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

ErgoProxy
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby ErgoProxy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:29 pm

Hah, I thought the same. But then I recalled this song, which fits the mood of the poster very well:

SPOILER: Show
Pink Floyd
Outside The Wall

All alone or in twos
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall
Some hand in hand
And some gather together in bands
The bleeding hearts and the artists
Make their stand

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall

Isn't this where...?

I don't know anything about stallions, except that (I think) their role is to catch and convey emotions of both Kaworu and Shinji as they play piano, in the most compact way possible. Combining this with members of Khara staff crying after watching 3.0+1.0, I don't find this guessing highly doubtful. Perhaps the intention would be to try and interact with the audience only nonverbally and thus sincerly, ishin-denshin way? Would be great to see something like that. ^_^
JUSTICE & MERCY

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:32 am

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:I've never understood the hate towards EoTV.

Unfortunately, people prefer to analyze the superficiality of a work than the depth and intention of the author. Critics often complain that it’s not in the patterns of an anime, plus the fact that they’re unable to absorb the information transmitted. But even so, I see several complaints with EoE, for having an open and “hard to understand” ending.

ErgoProxy wrote:But then I recalled this song, which fits the mood of the poster very well

Oh, the continuation of this song is in the track “In the Flesh?”, which is the first track of the album. The album “The Wall” is literally a loop (oops :nyao:).
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:45 am

Studio Khara have time now to reflect on the film, do some sketches and post informal social media content. The poster is probably a representation of all those involved finishing the last day of work and finally being able pat each other on the back, stand back and marvel at the Eva in the background.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

khronos
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby khronos » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:20 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04#903062 wrote:[...]
Well there's the part where Shinji runs into Rei amd they're chibi lol.

And that reminds me of KareKano hahaha

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”