Is the slice of life Eva worth watching?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Anno=jesus
Embryo

Is the slice of life Eva worth watching?

•      
  •      

Postby Anno=jesus » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:08 pm

Probably my favorite part of Eva is the characters ( I have many favorite parts) I hear the SoLis based of the scene in E25, where Shinji sees what life might be life like if he rejects instrumentality. It is one of my favorite moments in the show, and I guess I’m just wondering if the SoL is like that

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Is the slice of life Eva worth watching?

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:15 pm

There's no slice-of-life Evangelion anime.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:51 pm

Not anime, but maybe the Puchi Eva (Evangelion @ School) manga might count as SoL?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:51 pm

Puchi Eva is actually pretty good. I need to watch that again sometime soon.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:15 pm

Puchi Eva is silly, but fun in a crude, slapstick-y way;

there's a few SoL mangas of..... varying quality

Shinji Ikari Raising Project (SIRP from here on) is the most prestigious one and probably what you're thinking of; it's silly, fanservice-heavy fluff with very little weight or plot to it; if you don't mind that, you're probably gonna have a blast with it although some of the fanservice crosses firmly into creepy territory... I don't need to see Yui or Kyoko groping Rei and Asuka, thank you very much
It also has a VN game or two, although those also include the military parts, which are notably absent from the manga

Angelic Days and the Girlfriend of Steel manga are two I haven't read myself; their reputation is.... dubious, with GoS getting generally a bit less bashed for hack writing than AD does. GoS also has two games, which to my knowledge have next to nothing to do with each other or the manga, but are supposedly pretty solid for what they are

Piko Piko whatever is just bad, no way around it. It's the only manga I ever regretted buying, and that is including some forced, unfunny anthologies; which, speaking of is a pretty good way to describe that train wreck of a glorified fanfiction. You'd have to pay me to read any more of this
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:42 pm

("Puchi" is just how the French word "petite" is transcribed into katakana. So it's "Petite Eva", presumably referring to how the characters are all "chibi".)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:50 pm

("Puchi" is just how the French word "petite" is transcribed into katakana. So it's "Petite Eva", presumably referring to how the characters are all "chibi".)

Would not have guessed that, I'm going to put it on my list (haven't read it yet)

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”