Eva Historians - Requesting Help

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
d_animation
Embryo

Eva Historians - Requesting Help

•      
  •      

Postby d_animation » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:02 pm

Hello. I am a new member! This place is great

I was looking at Gainax-published material for a specific sequence: the one pan shot of Rei in her sleeveless plugsuit that was added for Death and Rebirth. But the storyboard/sequence is weird.

In the Groundworks of Evangelion The Movie 1, this cut is labeled as Cut 95 on the genga:

https://i.imgur.com/QBLMnoU.jpg

But that doesn't match what's in the Storyboards book for Death(True)2. The storyboard skips from Cut 93 to 107:

https://i.imgur.com/eOVOhGl.jpg

Then the appendix has these skipped cuts in the back - but Cut 95 is the beams falling down on Shinji. Which ended up being removed from Death(True)2 altogether. In fact all of these were removed:

https://i.imgur.com/lbEGrrC.jpg

The Cut 107 in the main section also wasn't in Death(True)2?

Does anybody know what happened here, and why the D&R storyboard is missing this pan shot, and why that part of the storyboard is so off? Did they change things after the main storyboarding had been done?

There is a prologue to the appendix, and I can't read Japanese - maybe this shines some light?

https://i.imgur.com/T57wVS6.jpg

Thank you!

d_animation
Embryo

Re: Eva Historians - Requesting Help

•      
  •      

Postby d_animation » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:07 pm

[edit]
Last edited by d_animation on Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:56 pm

The cut of "heaving Rei" is properly labeled C-095 in the Death(True)^2 script included as a bonus on the Japanese DVD, for whatever that's worth.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:02 pm

There are three versions of Death. Although that Groundwork book was published in 2001 (according to my copy), it is possible, or even likely, that it contains material relating to the earlier, longer version.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

d_animation
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby d_animation » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:56 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:The cut of "heaving Rei" is properly labeled C-095 in the Death(True)^2 script included as a bonus on the Japanese DVD, for whatever that's worth.

Interesting! Thank you for that, I would have never known. I think that 95 is definitely the correct one I just don't get why there's a difference

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:There are three versions of Death. Although that Groundwork book was published in 2001 (according to my copy), it is possible, or even likely, that it contains material relating to the earlier, longer version.

Also interesting!

But it's labeled specifically with DEATH (TRUE)2, are you saying that the material could actually be from one of the other versions? And were the extra scenes (and/or recreated scenes like Rei's smile) not included in one of the versions, besides the DC material that later became 21'-24'?

d_animation
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby d_animation » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:20 pm

I'm gonna close the chapter on this book still wondering I guess

I tried asking everywhere. Asked friends, asked some hardcore fans across the globe, heck I even tried emailing Gainax

The forward of the storyboards appendex says something like "due to the nature of the storyboard, there is a situation where the content of the book is not consistent with the actual completion of the story"

I wish I knew when and why the scene was added, and more specifically why it wasn't originally planned, but I am going to leave it at that

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”