Post-Third Impact stories

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Conrad Gray
Adam

Post-Third Impact stories

•      
  •      

Postby Conrad Gray » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:52 pm

I can usually organize them in several categories:

1. Third Impact succeeds, and It is undeniable.

Okay, I actually haven't read any fanfic like this, but I bet from the outside view it'd be depressing, rather like a psychic version of the Matrix. And I'd bet it would read like the last two episodes of NGE, all jumbly and character-focused.

2. Third Impact succeeds, but Shinji and Asuka are outside of it.

This may work like 3 (below). The two protagonists are a dysfunctional Adam and Eve in a huge wasteland of LCL.

3. Third Impact succeeds, but it is reversible.

Kind of like 2 at first, until people who refused Instrumentality start coming back and interrupting the couples' intimacy.

4. Third Impact fails.

Most common one, and usually takes place years post-series, with the Children all grown up and most of the others dead or in jail. I like HERZ's interpretation of how SEELE failed- a rival Illuminati-type society hacks their MAGI, causing five of the mass-produced Evas to go haywire, causing the ritual to be incomplete.

Thoughts? Has anyone read of these?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:20 am

The nearest I've seen to type 1 is Stardust and Chaos. Extreme type-1 scenarios - any emergent strong superhumanity - would transcend human understanding.

The only type 2 I've read has been the coda to The Second Child / Promises To Keep, which disappoints after the in-3I section. (oh, and the late lamented EvaComics, which is just for fun)

I've not noticed type 3s beyond the coda to Shink Kakumei Evangelion; though after enough time, they could well become indistinguishable from type 4.

All the type 4s I've seen seem to fall under the category of "missing the point", even if they can be fun (like Shanejayell's Third Genesis). All the endless "more angel" continuation fics fit about here (Eva-R and the like).

There is also a Type 5 (Nothing special happens after episode 24), an indicator being Daughter of Elysium; again these could turn into something indistinguishable from Type 4 in time.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Conrad Gray
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Conrad Gray » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:29 am

Cool, glad to know that I my taxonomy actually works.

What do you mean by missing the point?

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:25 pm

Yui destroyed all Particle Wave Matter entities on Earth so there couldn't be another Impact. Thus no more Evas or Angels. Stories that keep the Angels and Evas completely miss the point to EoE.

RITSUKO:
Correct. We do know the Angel is composed of a type of matter
characterized by both particulate and wave properties, like light.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:56 pm

Conrad Gray wrote:What do you mean by missing the point?

The whole point of NGE, to my mind, is Instrumentality, which is pretty much the supreme existential issue. A business as usual type of aftermath at best fails to confront that issue.

The invalidation of all the remaining Adamic matter is a mere technicality.

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:Yui destroyed all Particle Wave Matter entities on Earth

"characterized by both particulate and wave properties, like light." Or like electorns, ions, atoms, even whole molecules. See e.g. http://physicsweb.org/articles/world/15/9/1 -

Since then particle interference has been demonstrated with neutrons, atoms and molecules as large as carbon-60 and carbon-70.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Conrad Gray
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Conrad Gray » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:25 pm

Yeah, though I'd say that not all #4s miss the point. In HERZ the mass-produced Evas are hacked and the ritual is aborted, in Eva 2055 it isn't clarified on what happened but it appears that Shinji and Unit 01 was able to get out and to start slaughtering the mass production Evas.

In both stories, however, it seems that SEELE (or SEELE-like entities) are still present, and they are preparing to pull a Third Impact, but in the future.

Though as a rule, most of the "far future" post-Third Impact fics I've read are mostly good, nicely sci-fi, and TI as in EoE never comes to fruition.

Maybe I should create a different category, #5 Third Impact is prevented. #4 would just be Third Impact fails but everything is the same, including new Angels.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:48 pm

Conrad Gray wrote:Yeah, though I'd say that not all #4s miss the point. In HERZ the mass-produced Evas are hacked and the ritual is aborted, in Eva 2055 it isn't clarified on what happened but it appears that Shinji and Unit 01 was able to get out and to start slaughtering the mass production Evas.

The former might have interfered with Yui-sama's plans; but if slaughtering the harpies had been her intent, there would have been much kicking of ass (and maybe even some more cannibalism) in the main-line history. That's more "missing the clues" than "missing the point", though, I guess.

Conrad Gray wrote:Though as a rule, most of the "far future" post-Third Impact fics I've read are mostly good, nicely sci-fi, and TI as in EoE never comes to fruition.

It depends on the recovery economics and technology, whether you'd have factions attempting their own independent Techno-Rapture, knowing that that sort of thing is possible. Along the lines of "With turn of the millennium technology, and samples of Transcendent manufacture, a hard take-off of some form would be too easy to spring."

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:31 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:The whole point of NGE, to my mind, is Instrumentality, which is pretty much the supreme existential issue. A business as usual type of aftermath at best fails to confront that issue.

The invalidation of all the remaining Adamic matter is a mere technicality.

I see what your saying but the Adamic matter is the key they use to try for that supreme existence. Reducing it to a technicality is a bit much since the whole series revolves around it's existence. Without Adam, Lilith, or and other beings constructed of the same material there couldn't be 2I or 3I.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:14 pm

Yui didn't do anything about those countless billions of tons of Lilith-flesh scattering around Ground Zero, from what I can tell. DOH! And even "petrified" harpies can still bleed -- however exactly that works...

I was tinkering with the idea of having my "Keel's account of Kaworu" actually begin post-3I. My inclination is for a gradual return of people -- "at one's own pace" -- and, with enough "Returners", going batshit crazy from loneliness can stop being a problem and rebuilding can begin. But what manner of rebuilding? How to go about it? Would people be inclined to do things differently? What effect would Instrumentality have on everybody?

It didn't last long enough to finish -- for individuals to vanish into one indistinguishable mass -- but it was nonetheless a time when all walls were down and every single person was fully exposed to everyone else. No one was excluded. A universal experience in a rather true sense. What would seeing inside everyone, and having them see inside you, really be like, and what would you be like when it was over? All questions to consider.

I figure the human race would have some idea of what had happened when all was over. After all, the ones responsible for the mess were inside the hive-mind. But I imagine that the masses would put a more mystical slant on Instrumentality (it is easier on the mind) and everything involved, and the time of Returning would involve the formation of new and bizarre spiritualities/religions that incorporate both unchangeable "hard factors" (like the giant, naked woman who can be seen by anybody able to travel to Japan) and variable "interpretation".

Perhaps under 500 million Returners exist when Keel shows up. How much would they be getting done, and on what "level"? The post-3I situation is somewhat different from 2I -- the world had been totally emptied of people, and that means the entire "System" went down. There are still structures left behind (which Nature will tend to if people don't), but, without the System, they're just abandoned settlements, with their walls and everything within free for the taking. You can't just go back to your old house in the suburbs, return to your crappy day job, and hang out with your buddies at the bar watching the game after work. Or sit around on your computer posting on forums, sending e-mail, and downloading pr0n, for that matter. The System is down -- an unimaginable number of things needed to be happening across the world just so that a crappy cashier job at MacDonald's could exist.

So, how will that all work out...? If the post-3I people learned anything from Instrumentality, they can at least build a better system. (That will be corroded by later generations, but, hey, that's humans for you.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:18 pm

Reichu wrote:Yui didn't do anything about those countless billions of tons of Lilith-flesh scattering around Ground Zero, from what I can tell. DOH! And even "petrified" harpies can still bleed -- however exactly that works...

To me it sounded like grinding rock when her head split. Harpy blood doesn't mean it's usable DNA. It could have been heavily corrupted by Yui's actions.

Reichu wrote:It didn't last long enough to finish -- for individuals to vanish into one indistinguishable mass -- but it was nonetheless a time when all walls were down and every single person was fully exposed to everyone else. No one was excluded. A universal experience in a rather true sense. What would seeing inside everyone, and having them see inside you, really be like, and what would you be like when it was over? All questions to consider.

That's a helluva lot of info for a human mind to assimilate. I kinda figured it was a massive crossfire where you can only really make out who's saying what if you know that person. Otherwise it would just me a massive jumble.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:23 pm

I imagine life on a post-3I Earth being a little like Fallout.

(Debates whether to take that approach in TToR404, which nobody seems to be reading.)

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:27 pm

BobBQ wrote:I imagine life on a post-3I Earth being a little like Fallout.

Why? Yui slowed down GNR with her A.T. Field. You know that blurriness around the arm and head. It's really clear on Renewal maybe Reichu will post a screen cap. Anyways the biosphere is fine tho there would be a massive clean up lots of automotive accidents and houses burned down do to the sudden disappearance.

Conrad Gray
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Conrad Gray » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:56 am

There'd be a few atomic reactor failures here and there.

But I think he's talking about the desertedness, giant wasteland feeling, and the total breakdown of society and gov't. There could be a degree of that happening.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:14 am

Hmmm...which catagory does my fic fit into? :? I guess # 2 & 3...??
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Conrad Gray
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Conrad Gray » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:03 am

I found an excellent type 3- Asuka and Shinji are alone for the first few chapters, but a few people are returning from LCL...

EoE - Final: From her Heart.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:35 pm

I've got something close number three sitting unfinish on my hd. I might finish it one of these days as seele8 will kid nap my pets if I don't give her a story with keel in it at least once a month.

I thought post 3I fics were at the bottom of the populatiry list. Mind if I ask why you are intrested in them?
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:39 pm

DatDude wrote:I thought post 3I fics were at the bottom of the populatiry list.

I thought that (dis)honor was reserved for self-inserts.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:05 pm

Naaa random1377 made a great parady is a while back and they got bumped up a spot
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fearthebait » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:49 pm

I read that one, I thought it was great!

and bob, I really do enjoy reading your ToTR404. I can't wait for you to finish it.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:46 pm

BobBQ wrote:
DatDude wrote:I thought post 3I fics were at the bottom of the populatiry list.

I thought that (dis)honor was reserved for self-inserts.

yeah. we all secretly hate you.

WRITE MOAR PUHLEEASE!!! :)
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Return to “Fanfiction”