Manga, Anime or Rebuild Movies?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:28 pm

NGE + EoE

As others have said, it's lightning in a bottle, something you can't replicate. Every facet of the show works together to make it into a cohesive whole. There's so much to analyze and scrutinize that we only just ran out of things to talk about a year or two ago.

The manga just feels like a simplified version of the story without the benefit of excellent voice acting and sound design.

Rebuild just feels too blockbuster-esque, it's missing the artistic daring of the original and lacks the psychological and philosophical insight. It's great if you just want to be entertained, but I can't help but compare it unfavorably to the original series.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:49 pm

Funny to hear how many people prefer the series over the magna, with all the adaptations of books and comics being made these days for the big screen. And for some people to call the manga shallow compared to the series, you don't hear that too often.
Bong. James Bong. Bruce lee the way I kick it, Tiger Woods the way I hit it.-Blake ,Workaholics.
To put it in laid man terms, hes getting laid man.-Blake, Workaholics.
"You shoulda known the price of evil"-M Shadows

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:05 am

Idea for the show came first, though.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:23 pm

View Original PostEvangelionGodMode wrote:Funny to hear how many people prefer the series over the magna, with all the adaptations of books and comics being made these days for the big screen. And for some people to call the manga shallow compared to the series, you don't hear that too often.

Well, the series is the original source, the manga just an adaptation or an intepretation if you prefer. So, not a good example :lol: :lol:

If I can remember, the first manga chapter was released in 1994, but just as a preview for the anime. The true, original work it's what comes from Anno's mind, Sadamanga is just a very personal adaptation from Sadamato. I don't blame if uou didn´t know that : it seems that in EEUU many people had their first contact with the franchise reading the manga. Not the same in Spain, so we don't have a problem.

Pretty curious that the three most important mecha series (Evangelion, Macross, Gundam) are original works for TV, not manga adaptations.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:45 pm

View Original PostJäeger wrote:The true, original work it's what comes from Anno's mind, Sadamanga is just a very personal adaptation from Sadamato. I don't blame if you didn´t know that

And Sadamoto's part in the original conception was not negligible either.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:48 pm

The manga does have one of if not the most WAFFy moment in the entire canon, though in stage 29 where Rei tries making tea for Shinji, burns herself resulting in Shinji attending to healing her injuries and them talking about his relationship with Gendo.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:09 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:And Sadamoto's part in the original conception was not negligible either.

Of course, he is the fucking designer :lol: A great one and after reading the entire manga...he better stays as designer. Asuka, Shinji, Gendo.....oh my God :facepalm:

That's not incompatible with the series being the original work and the "canonical" one.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:02 am

Designs were not his only contribution, was my point.

Given how much longer Sadamoto has had to think about the progress of his version of the story, it would be fascinating to know (though presumably we never will), whether he ever discussed his version with Anno; or even just what Anno thinks of it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

LukeMM95
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby LukeMM95 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:46 am

NGE & EoE are the definitive Eva experience.

The manga is a decent read but it has some noticeable flaws. Not everything that works in the anime translate well to a manga and that seems to be a major case here. Plus, a lot of the stuff they changed was mostly for the worst. The ending especially just isn't all that great.

I remember enjoying the first two Rebuilds a lot when I first saw them and was kind of on the fence about the third. Now I don't really care much for them. I think the first film is a pretty decent starting point but the second doesn't hold up well on repeated viewings and I've yet to give the third film another watch. They're just too flashy and like the manga, the stuff they changed didn't improve anything. The second film especially, seems to just throw character development out the window and instead just relies on action and fanservice to the point where it's just boring. Even the animation is subpar when compared to how good EoE looked.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:47 pm

in terms of favoritism and enjoyment, love it all to the highest degree but
1.) eva 2.0
2.) 1.0 ramiel battle and build up to it
2.) eva 3.0
3.) end of eva
4.) specific nge episodes (11,16, 19, 21 especially, 22, 23)
5=6.) other nge episodes = eva 1.0 on the whole

in terms of quality, artistic merit and craftsmanship
1.) end of eva
2.) eva 2.0 past mari pulling Shinji out of the bunker
2.) different specific nge episodes (16, 19, 21, 22, 23)
3.) eva 2.0 on the whole
4.) eva 3.0
5.) 1.0 ramiel battle and build up to it
6.) most other nge episodes
7.) eva 1.0
8.) absolute worst nge episodes (all of which are still good IMO just worse than anything else listed)

have not read but the first 2 volumes of the manga so im leaving it out of the comparison.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:57 am

1. Neon Genesis Evangelion anime (includes DC + EoE)
2. Evangelion New Theatrical film series
10. Neon Genesis Evangelion manga

NGE (meaning #1, of course) is precious to me and I have nothing especially useful to add here. ENT is an interesting complement.

The manga... I don't particularly care for. Had I encountered it first, it would have at best made me aware of the source anime, and at worst I would have just forgotten it and moved on. Sadamoto is obviously a talented guy who makes valuable contributions in a collaborative setting, as his fans take care to belabor, but this does not mean I have to find his solo work in any way compelling.
Last edited by Reichu on Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:40 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:The manga... I don't particularly care for. Had I encountered it first, it would have at best made me aware of the source anime, and at worst I would have just forgotten it and moved on. Sadamoto is obviously a talented guy who makes valuable contributions in a collaborative setting, as his fans take care to belabor, but this does not mean I have to find his solo work in any way compelling.
I definitely agree. The manga was only worth looking over online because I liked the anime so much.

I kind of like the rebuilds, but wouldn't care if they were to have never existed - though I imagine I will be more fond of them in light 3.0+1.0.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

vito
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby vito » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:07 pm

NGE TV(DC) + EoE.

Everything else I consider to be just fanservice. lol

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:08 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Had I encountered it first, it would have at best made me aware of the source anime, and at worst I would have just forgotten it and moved on.
In fact I did encounter the first chapter of manga first, in one of the US compilation magazines, maybe Super Manga Blast, in the latter part of the '90s, was not impressed, and did just forget about it.

@Topic
1. NGE TV, (plus EoE for the masochism).

9001= Jo for Operation Yashima
9001= Manga for a couple of cute S/R scenes that should have been in the series
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:52 am

View Original Postvito wrote:NGE TV(DC) + EoE.

Everything else I consider to be just fanservice. lol

Same goes here : NGE DC + EOE is Evangelion ultimate form. Other Media are just (bad) interpretations (sadamanga) or new points of view (NTE)

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:07 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:The manga does have one of if not the most WAFFy moment in the entire canon, though in stage 29 where Rei tries making tea for Shinji, burns herself resulting in Shinji attending to healing her injuries and them talking about his relationship with Gendo.

Oh yes. I started with the original anime, but for me one of my favorite parts was Shinji and Rei's relationship. I guess I'm someone who found the whole psychological deconstruction and angst less appealing than other parts of the series. Also I don't like how you have to read side materials and the PS2 game to know what the fuck is going on with the plot and the angels and stuff that isn't the casts mommy and daddy issues. And I tended to interpret stuff... Uh pretty well the reverse of what Anno intended. His an my minds don't think alike at all.

Be warned I probably go off on a bitchfit here. So you may want to skip this part.

The manga is probably my preffered version for now due to not having to rely on trippy imagery and mindfuck due to running out of money, and having versions of the characters I find a bit more relatable and palatable. It's not perfect due to
SPOILER: Show
Evil kitten killing Kaoru, Asuka still being fixated on Kaji at the end, and in the new world despite all the Shinji/Rei buildup in the series it's Asuka Shinji sees and no sign of Rei at all. Serously some version keep her around at the end already!

Rebuild was doing good until Q and it's
shocking swerves for the sake of angst and a flying battleship cause everyone apparently wishes they were working on Yamato. Oh and jerking us Rei fans around.

I probably shouldn't harp so much on the Rei parts, but after three times of being dissappointed there it's a bit of a sore spot.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Debb
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Debb » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:10 pm

I can't decide which I love the most, but i'll say the original series+EoE.
The manga was an awesome experience as well. There were some changes in the story that I liked more than in the series. I still prefer the original ending though.
As for the Rebuilds, I never watched them! I guess some day i'll have to.
egg

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:02 am

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:Oh yes. I started with the original anime, but for me one of my favorite parts was Shinji and Rei's relationship. I guess I'm someone who found the whole psychological deconstruction and angst less appealing than other parts of the series. Also I don't like how you have to read side materials and the PS2 game to know what the fuck is going on with the plot and the angels and stuff that isn't the casts mommy and daddy issues. And I tended to interpret stuff... Uh pretty well the reverse of what Anno intended. His an my minds don't think alike at all.

Be warned I probably go off on a bitchfit here. So you may want to skip this part.

The manga is probably my preffered version for now due to not having to rely on trippy imagery and mindfuck due to running out of money, and having versions of the characters I find a bit more relatable and palatable. It's not perfect due to
Evil kitten killing Kaoru, Asuka still being fixated on Kaji at the end, and in the new world despite all the Shinji/Rei buildup in the series it's Asuka Shinji sees and no sign of Rei at all. Serously some version keep her around at the end already!

About Manga's Asuka

In the anime, she is a girl who looks infatuated with Kaji but it's just a cover for her wish to be recognized as an adult (thanks to her childhood trauma)and her real affections go towards the main character. In the Manga?? Until the end a dumb teenager with a REAL crush on Kaji (despite the hints she likes Shinji somehow)

Stupid Sadamoto, the less he touches an script, the better.

Grand Duke of Yashima
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Grand Duke of Yashima » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:09 pm

I always thought that I preferred the manga, as I just felt the pacing of the story was done a little better than the original series, and while I like NME I feel that they're too rushed. I've always preferred that EVA be re-done as a TV series and expanded in length to a 36-40 episode series. There's so much ground not covered in any rendition of EVA that you could just keep mining it for at least another reboot or two.
EVA Fan Fiction: The Blue Rose Saga

https://www.facebook.com/EvangelionTheBlueRose

"The power of the Evangelion is the power of love"

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:46 am

I can only choose the aspects of all three that I prefer. I prefer the Manga for its character development, which I think is more abundant in some cases, but I prefer NGE because it is a richer experience, I suppose- with sound, color and a soundtrack. I enjoy the crisper art quality of NME.
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。
"I write only because there is a voice within me that will not be still." - SP

Rei Ayanami's beauty comes from the truth that she has feelings...the struggle to draw your feelings forth, the reconciliation between your surface and your death - that, I believe, is where we truly become alive, truly become human beings." -Hayashibara Megumi

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”