[Merch] Checking to see if an End of Evangelion DVD is legit

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
notrogersmith
Embryo

[Merch] Checking to see if an End of Evangelion DVD is legit

•      
  •      

Postby notrogersmith » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:18 pm

Rather belatedly, I started to look for a copy of End of Evangelion on eBay, and found what I think is a legit used DVD, but I'm still a bit paranoid. The case of the DVD looks fine:
SPOILER: Show

However, I'm a bit more uncertain about the pic of the DVD itself:
SPOILER: Show

There's no blatantly off artwork, but then ... there's no artwork, and it doesn't look like any pictures of the DVD that I found on Google. Is this okay, or should I look elsewhere?
[/img]

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:01 pm

Looks like the one I have, and it came with all the official stuff so I'd say that's legit.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:48 pm

It's legit.

The Death & Rebirth DVD was a double sided release with a special interactive encyclopedia thing on the second side. To be consistent, EoE looks like a double sided disc even though it isn't.

notrogersmith
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby notrogersmith » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:57 am

Thanks. I went ahead and bought it. It'll be ... interesting ... to see EoE again. Been a while since I watched it.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:16 am

PRO TIP:

If you're thinking about giving it a watch with audio commentary, ignore the commentary on the disc and watch it with this instead:

http://www.evamonkey.com/end-of-evangelion-audio-commentary-with-rocco-and-garrett-of-mega64/

astrophys
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby astrophys » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:03 am

Well, seeing that the consensus is that yours is legit, you're luckier than I was.

That is to say, I myself got duped.

Got End of Eva from Ebay myself. I wasn't as savvy about DVDs as I was now, so at the time I sincerely thought that I was buying something legitimate. (Now that I'm more savvy, I realize in retrospect that there were actually warning signs that I should have picked up upon, but I didn't recognize those at the time).

Didn't realize my mistake until long later when I was looking at the Evageeks forums (as an unregistered/guest viewer) and came across another topic like this one. That's when I saw a version like the one that I had get discussed and pointed out as fake. Also, my discs now are behaving more temperamentally than they used to; they play perfectly fine in some disc drives but not others now.

Really, the only bright side for me out of this whole scenario is that I got it at a much cheaper price than End of Eva typically goes for, but as the saying goes, "You get what you pay for."

notrogersmith
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby notrogersmith » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:01 pm

View Original Postastrophys wrote:Well, seeing that the consensus is that yours is legit, you're luckier than I was.

The main reason that I was lucky was that I had stumbled upon the Big-O Bootleg Guide when trying to find used Big-O DVDs way back when. I figured that Big-O was hardly the only anime with a bootleg problem. If anything, considering that Eva is more famous, I figured that it might be a bigger target for bootleggers.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:25 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:PRO TIP:

If you're thinking about giving it a watch with audio commentary, ignore the commentary on the disc and watch it with this instead:

http://www.evamonkey.com/end-of-evangelion-audio-commentary-with-rocco-and-garrett-of-mega64/

Ignore this and watch it with the commentary. Let your rage be transformative.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:32 pm

Have not watched any of the English commentary on any of my Eva disks and that feature isn't a selling point for me.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:30 pm

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with the official release. It's out of print, and the quality was atrocious. It wasn't even anamorphic widescreen for fuck's sake.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”