Did Anno Have a Grand Design, Goal, or Purpose to NGE?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

MisatoCrush
Lilith

Did Anno Have a Grand Design, Goal, or Purpose to NGE?

•      
  •      

Postby MisatoCrush » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:50 am

As I was diving deep into ancient threads I came across some quoted or paraphrased dialogue from one of the episodes.

I believe it was referring to the Instrumentality Program and saying it's goal was to help mankind evolve and improve itself.

Do you think Anno wanted his art, his creation to serve as a lesson to viewers and society in any way?
Several things come to mind, but mainly:

If you love someone, don't hold it in. Tell them! Life's too short and tragic.
Don't neglect your children.

Etc.
I watched the Neon Genesis Evangelion TV show and films for the 1st time in January 2014. Heartbreakingly sad but so beautiful too. I'm here to discuss theories about what happened in the show.

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

Re: Did Anno Have a Grand Design, Goal, or Purpose to NGE?

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:57 am

I can only see to purposes / messages in NGE:

1. Criticizing Nerds / Otakus
2. Thematizing sociological constructivism (HIP, Shinji's social issues, etc.)

It would surprise me, if there isn't already a thread about EVAs messages.
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:08 am

View Original PostMisatoCrush wrote:Did Anno Have a Grand Design, Goal, or Purpose to NGE?

You should read this:

http://www.evamonkey.com/writings_anno01.php

In particular, this section:

Hideaki Anno wrote:They say, "To live is to change." I started this production with the wish that once the production complete, the world, and the heroes would change. That was my "true" desire. I tried to include everything of myself in Neon Genesis Evangelion-myself, a broken man who could do nothing for four years. A man who ran away for four years, one who was simply not dead. Then one thought. "You can't run away," came to me, and I restarted this production. It is a production where my only thought was to burn my feelings into film. I know my behavior was thoughtless, troublesome, and arrogant. But I tried. I don't know what the result will be. That is because within me, the story is not yet finished. I don't know what will happen to Shinji, Misato or Rei. I don't know where life will take them. Because I don't know where life is taking the staff of the production. I feel that I am being irresponsible. But... But it's only natural that we should synchronize ourselves with the world within the production. I've taken on a risk: "It's just an imitation." And for now I can only write this explanation. But perhaps our "original" lies somewhere within there.

MisatoCrush
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MisatoCrush » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:22 am

Sweet thanks!
Yeah I saw some Anno interview threads but thought it'd be ok to address this directly with a new thread.
Cheers.
I watched the Neon Genesis Evangelion TV show and films for the 1st time in January 2014. Heartbreakingly sad but so beautiful too. I'm here to discuss theories about what happened in the show.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:32 am

Perhaps this is why Shinji is a bit more different in the movies than compared to the
tv show to reflect Anno's change in personalty & how he sees himself now

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:22 pm

That certainly has been suggested, and seems a reasonable presumption.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:26 pm

I think it's pretty much what Eva Monkey pointed to. Evangelion is his magnum opus and by far the work where he put the most of himself into. It's actually both overpowering and inspiring to see and feel all the passion and vital energy the staff at Gainax/Khara put in Eva and their other works.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:36 am

View Original PostDream wrote:I think it's pretty much what Eva Monkey pointed to. Evangelion is his magnum opus and by far the work where he put the most of himself into. It's actually both overpowering and inspiring to see and feel all the passion and vital energy the staff at Gainax/Khara put in Eva and their other works.

I personally don't know if all these little detail they put into EVA and the shire versatility used in every episode and the oeuvre are an argument in favor or against an overwhelming "plan". I just can't image that Anno was actually able to create a work that is so abundant in detail, references and different layers alone.

My guess would be, that he had basic concept (Plot and Characters) mostly thought out and all the details, "mysteries" and other elements that made Eva so great where added and thought out during the production.
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:49 am

Well yeah, obviously he didn't perfectly visualize NGE from the get-go and Gainax always was a very particular studio in that everyone could add or suggest ideas or directions of some sorts. Many people from Gainax had a very important hand in how Evangelion turned out but ultimately it's all Anno.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:18 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote:Perhaps this is why Shinji is a bit more different in the movies than compared to the
tv show to reflect Anno's change in personalty & how he sees himself now

I suspect it might not be as direct as all that, though; Anno seems to be in a pretty good place right now, so I would suggest that, instead of NTE!Shinji being an expression of Anno as he sees himself now (as NGE!Shinji was an expression of Anno as he saw himself then) he might instead be an expression of Anno's take on his past self: that is, instead of painting himself as a victim of his circumstances who failed to act to change them he now sees himself as the architect of his own misery. But that works both ways, of course: if he is responsible for creating his despair he also has the power to rise above it. I suspect that's what we'll see in Final, and that that will be the key element that differentiates it from EoE.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”