Which scene had your heart racing faster?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

MisatoCrush
Lilith

Which scene had your heart racing faster?

•      
  •      

Postby MisatoCrush » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:37 am

When Shinji falls on top of a naked Rei?

When Asuka kisses Shinji?

Or when Misato kisses Shinji?

My vote is definitely when Asuka kisses Shinji. "Then, here I come."

woooohhh momma.
Ahh, to be young once again!
I watched the Neon Genesis Evangelion TV show and films for the 1st time in January 2014. Heartbreakingly sad but so beautiful too. I'm here to discuss theories about what happened in the show.

Lord ikari shinji
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lord ikari shinji » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:57 am

:lol: this thread.

For the sake of posting: i vote the shinasuka scene, i mean those two needed to get a room.
lord Ikari solo's all less-er beings
----------------------------------------
MY OTP:
~hardcore Shinji/Asuka shipper`
-LAS 4 life-

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:47 am

^ I'm going to second that. Hey, I'm sure you all knew what I was gonna say the moment this thread appeared.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

MisatoCrush
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MisatoCrush » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:10 am

Yes! Very nice avatar pic Bardiel!
I watched the Neon Genesis Evangelion TV show and films for the 1st time in January 2014. Heartbreakingly sad but so beautiful too. I'm here to discuss theories about what happened in the show.

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:26 am

I could take the easy way out and say End of Evangelion (I actually cried the first three times I saw the movie :uhh: ), but I'll go with a tie between Kaworu's Death and EVA-01 killing EVA-03.

I like the shinasuka scene, because of the character development, the knowledge we gain about Shinji and Asuka because of this scene and the relevance to Shinji's and Asuka's relationship, but since I'm not really a shipper of any kind, it's not really a scene that makes my heart racing faster.
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:30 am

I'm not a shipper, either, so the scene that had my heart racing fastest was probably the end of episode 19. Most awesome shit ever.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:07 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I'm not a shipper, either, so the scene that had my heart racing fastest was probably the end of episode 19. Most awesome shit ever.

I'll go with this too. Great "Fuck Yea" moment right here.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:27 pm

Thirded. ep19 was a crowning moment of badass.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:50 pm

I have to fourth that. Episode 19 still remains my favorite episode for that very reason. And "THE BEAST II" is my favorite track from the series for the same reason.

(In terms of the choices presented in the first post, though, probably the one with Rei, because 15-year-old me used to grin stupidly at hand-on-boob kind of shenanigans. Thankfully, EVA was one of those things that helped me grow beyond 15-year-old me.)

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:29 pm

NGE = Kaworu Vs. Shinji

EoE = Whole second half

NME = From the moment the 4th impact starts and beyond.

MisatoCrush
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MisatoCrush » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:49 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:NME = From the moment the 4th impact starts and beyond.

What's NME stand for?
* Also, in the future if I don't understand an acronym, should I just Private Message the user to inquire?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:50 pm

NME = New Movie Edition. NTE (New Theatrical Edition) is probably preferable, but both get used. NGE is Neon Genesis Evangelion, i.e. the original series.

In Britain, NME is also New Musical Express :tongue:
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:06 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:NME = New Movie Edition. NTE (New Theatrical Edition) is probably preferable, but both get used.

We also now know that khara's in-house translation for the films is Evangelion: New Theatrical, adding a third acronym, ENT, to the list. :p

Giji Shinka: I don't think the word "scene" means what you think it means. Also, EoE is part of NGE.

My nomination for... ENT... is Eva-01 pseudo-evolving against the 10th in 2.0. But my heart was not racing in the "FUCK YEAH!" sort of way. Ohhhh, no. It was thundering in my bosom in that "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE, ANNO? I'LL KIIIILLLLLL YOOUUUUUUUUU!!!" sort of way.
Last edited by Reichu on Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:10 pm

I'm gonna have to say the end of episode 19, nothing beats the awakening of Unit-01.

That being said 2.0 ruined it with Shinji acting retarded, the gar feeling surrounding the scene, and the music which instead of making it uneasy made it cheesy.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Re: Which scene had your heart racing faster?

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:05 pm

View Original PostMisatoCrush wrote:When Shinji falls on top of a naked Rei?

Well, that isn't really a defining romance scene there. (aside from, at most, Shinji trying hard not to stare at her afterwards, but it was mostly more "embarassing accident" with a lining of "That girl is a nonstandard specimen" than anything) The "thank you" scene or the post-futagoyama conversation certainly were heart-flutter moments, but the main emotion in the naked scene is closer to some variation of "...TF?"

The kiss scene, without retroactive info in ep 22, is really just akward and sad. (Dat shot where you see the uneven distribution of blush... actually, the 22 revelations just make it sadder.)
It's more the ultimate confirmation that this can't ever work than it is the relationship upgrade that would usually come with it, especially since poor Asuka has been "settling for less" throughout the episode, kinda in a ironic parallel to how her expectations of EVa pilot life went. (She expected to be the solitary hero) First, she wants to smooch Kaji, but since he isn't available, she agrees to the student guy. But he can't satisfy her, and in the end, she ends up settling for Shinji, who's defining characteristic (from Asuka's PoV) is that... he was just there when she wanted attention.

If we're not talking strictly shipping moments, but all moments, then I say the whole yaking around of your feels that is episode 23.
Did they seriously kill her off in five min? Is she alive after all, or isn't she? etc.

And the spears debacle, because you see this poor kid struggling, straining, crawling with determination... but from the moment Kaworu began his vague warnings, you KNOW he's basically walking off a cliff, and can't see what is obvious to you, thanks to your knowledge of basic genre conventions/that he's in a movie. The whole Asuka punch is a lite version of the same painful effect. He's just so damn happy... actually, most of Q qualifies to some degree.

And then there's these... "frustrating" moments in eps 4 and 25' of screetching stuckness and lack of forward movement, or beginning of it that doesn't seem to last/fully get going.

This show just can do this stagnant, clunky moving sort of grating restlessness that just keeps you at the edge of your seat.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:13 pm

The finales of episode 18 and 19 are both pants-shittingly intense.

After 18, I wanted to throw something at the TV.

After 19, I wanted to pump my fist in the air.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

MisatoCrush
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MisatoCrush » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:30 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:If we're not talking strictly shipping moments, but all moments, then I say the whole yaking around of your feels that is episode 23.
Did they seriously kill her off in five min? Is she alive after all, or isn't she? etc.

The whole Asuka punch is a lite version of the same painful effect. He's just so damn happy... actually, most of Q qualifies to some degree.

What do you mean here in bold? I don't understand.

EVAfacepalm
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EVAfacepalm » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:19 pm

None of them.

I generally side with Shinji and Asuka shipping when I think about shipping, but when watching the show in serious mode I am firmly on the nomance interpretation.

All of those scenes when interpreted seriously, point to emotional, let alone romantic, connections being impossible for Shinji.
According to Seele, Tang is the ultimate form of life. I guess that means the astronauts are committing genocide all the time then.

Stratomeister
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Stratomeister » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:47 pm

Between those three, well is there even any room for discussion? Asuka kissing Shinji, dur!

As for the series as a whole, eh~ it's kind of a major toss up between a few pivotal scenes.

1) Episode 16, when Eva-01 goes berserk and breaks free from the Leliel's grasp. The moment the ground shatters and "The Beast II" begins to play, wah~, it just sends shivers down my spine. And if I;m recalling correctly, this is the first time that track is played, and is it ever put to good use! The track is played so loudly (excessively almost), that it's even distorted at times.

2) Episode 19, when Eva-01 goes berserk yet again and devours Zeruel. I personally consider this the turning point of the series, and yet again, another moment where "The Best II" is used to it's maximum potential.

3) Episode 23, when Ritsuko reveals the truth behind the Eva, and shows Shinji and Misato the empty vessels that are used to contain Rei's soul. At this point I was like "Whoooooooooah, okay what the hell is going on here!"

Between those three, I believe that I have enough material to waste away many hours trying to figure out what exactly was going through Anno's head to be able to come up with something like this.
Last edited by Stratomeister on Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What the hell is this?" - Shinji Ikari

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:28 am

View Original PostMisatoCrush wrote:What do you mean here in bold? I don't understand.

Well, Shinji is visibly relieved/happy to see Asuka in one piece, and he's all, "I'm so glad you're allright-"

But we hear the music and see the very obvious pissed motions of her lower body - Basically, we see the punch coming, but Shinji doesn't.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”