[News] 2014 News (NO POLITICS)

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:46 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:it's really evil stuff!
Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide!
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Other dimensions to the problem. BP

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:55 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Is it so hard to put flour, yeast, and water in bread?

I only put the ingredients in a salad bowl now, but I can't for the life of me make Tuna taste the same as theirs, and I don't even know where to get sweet onion sauce.

Also, spinach rots like really quickly, I barely get two sandwiches before I have to reach for a new bag.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:01 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Is it so hard to put flour, yeast, and water in bread?
The trick is that with just those ingredients, bread goes stale in hours -- hence the French custom of early morning visits to the boulangerie.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:40 pm

Same rationale goes for unleavened flat bread, which takes a matter of seconds to be baked and is made immediately before a meal.

Of course, it's better to have a meal without preservatives than one with preservatives, but preservative-containing food is far better than rotten food or no food at all. The only thing we can do is to make sure that those preservatives are not toxic if consumed with food on a daily basis.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:19 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Ban Dihydrogen Moxoxide!

Oh, I remember this. WIN.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:27 am

Wacko Jacko's estate goes up against the IRS -- the sort of fight where you want both parties to lose.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:12 am

As Britain continues to drown...

Live plot of water level at Folly Bridge, the bridge over the Isis (Thames) in central Oxford:

More rain is forecast.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:26 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Wacko Jacko's estate goes up against the IRS -- the sort of fight where you want both parties to lose.

Henceforth a win in either case. :devil:

Major slowdowns for Amazon services on Verizion FiOS, Verizon denies using net neutrality victory.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:21 pm

Give California some of your rain, Britain. We're shriveling up over here.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:45 pm

Incidentally, although the Somerset Levels have been in the news in the past few days, with visits from members of the government, there are currently only two "severe" (="risk to life") flood warnings from the Environment Agency still in place there; by contrast, there are now fourteen along the length of the River Thames, including some around Oxford (two people died in flood-waters in Oxford last month).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:29 pm

I suspect that those politicians would much rather be in a position where things didn't look so bad (Somerset) than be around a place in imminent danger of going under (Oxford). Not too surprised.

If Verizon executives were all like Pinocchio, their noses would be a mile long by now.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:46 pm

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/02/at-height-of-popularity-creator-pulls-flappy-bird-from-app-stores/

:facepalm: He couldn't take it anymore, as if he was the receiving end of Operation Linebacker.

In a country where the exchange rate (currently 1 US Dollar equals 21105.00 Vietnamese Dong) would mean he could be sitting on a pot of gold, the last thing he needs is some local crook jumping on him in the middle of the night, demanding that he fork over bundles of cash.

Also, he's fame-averse, and I guess some local officials -- seeing the success of Angry Bird previously -- possibly want the piece of the action.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:16 am

$50,000 per day?

I can only hope and dream that the game my friend-from-college-who-now-works-for-a-game-company-in-California are making in our off-time reaches anywhere near that level of success.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:02 pm

I think I have a new favorite coffee shop... if only it weren't 2000 miles away...

Dumb Starbucks opens in LA
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:06 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:$50,000 per day?

I can only hope and dream that the game my friend-from-college-who-now-works-for-a-game-company-in-California are making in our off-time reaches anywhere near that level of success.

I could dream, but then becoming famous could also be a mixed bag.

Indeed, big government wants a big slice of the pie.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmack/2014/02/10/flappy-bird-creator-may-have-been-scared-by-legal-threats-after-all/?partner=yahootix

And an OP&ED regarding the dev's decision to pull out the game (Vietnamese):
http://vnexpress.net/tin-tuc/cong-dong/tac-gia-flappy-bird-rat-co-tai-nhung-chua-ban-linh-2949090.html

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:58 am

Split out the big honking tanget. Back to funny stuff!

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:39 am

Chinese grunts too big to fit into old tanks:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/02/18/chinese-soldiers-are-getting-too-big-for-their-tanks/

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:47 am

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:I think I have a new favorite coffee shop... if only it weren't 2000 miles away...

They're going to get sued back into the stone age. Starbucks has a legal obligation to aggressively defend their trademark, and in that sort of litigation the side with more money usually wins.

In their own faq they have confused copyright with trademark, which is a huge legal distinction.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:55 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Chinese grunts too big to fit into old tanks:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/02/18/chinese-soldiers-are-getting-too-big-for-their-tanks/

Old Soviet and Chinese ergonomics were designed to fit within a relatively narrow range of sizes, and a small crewman was actually beneficial to a small tank, because the armor to internal volume ratio (a heuristic for protection) was pretty high. Newer American vehicles are more accommodating of a range of body sizes. No surprise that this is happening.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:58 am

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:I think I have a new favorite coffee shop... if only it weren't 2000 miles away...

That's something similar to a burger joint near where my offices are. For a long time, it was a Burger King and they closed some time ago. These other people bought the place, took down the "Burger King" logo, and started serving burgers. The logo is removed, but you can very clearly see the outline of "Burger King" all over the store, outside of the building, and on the sign itself. The new place is called "South Side Burgers" but there's no signage, they've been doing plenty of business because people go there thinking it's a Burger King. People often complain about the place (because the food apparently sucks) thinking it's a Burger King: http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/23/270246/restaurant/South-Side/South-Side-Burgers-Pittsburgh

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”