Eva's weight

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Dr. Strangelove
Adam

Eva's weight

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:59 pm

Uhm yes, what would be an accurate weight for the 40 meter Evangelions? This has bugged me a bit, and I'd like to know.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange æons, even death may die

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:45 am

That's the minimum length, so that would be the minimum weight too. Not that I recall what it was.

tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby tinmeigut » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:09 am

Isn't 40 meters too short for an Eva Unit?
If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends. -Jane Eyre, Chapter 8

Dr. Strangelove
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:19 am

tinmeigut wrote:Isn't 40 meters too short for an Eva Unit?

Not really, but I've seen a lot of variations in their size. Some Daikaijuu websites list them at 40 meters, to 100 meters.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:06 pm

The height officially fluctuates between 40 ~ 200 meters. And, don't ask for a woman's weight. It's just not proper.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby tinmeigut » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:13 am

40 meters is just too short. Even shorter than a standard swimming pool. Impossible.
If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends. -Jane Eyre, Chapter 8

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:46 am

tinmeigut wrote:40 meters is just too short. Even shorter than a standard swimming pool. Impossible.

Welcome to Eva....plot holes and discontinuities abound.
I heart Encyclopedia Dramatica!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:49 am

tinmeigut wrote:40 meters is just too short. Even shorter than a standard swimming pool. Impossible.

They're standing perhaps ten or so meters taller than that in their Cages. (I actually did the math, using the little Lilim as reference points.) I'm wondering if EVA-02 in #08 is on on the bottom on the height continuum -- does anyone know the measurements for those ships?

I'm wondering which situations call for the 200 meter height range.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Dr. Strangelove
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:33 pm

Reichu wrote:The height officially fluctuates between 40 ~ 200 meters. And, don't ask for a woman's weight. It's just not proper.

Come now, they're extremely thin. And their physical forms are male, so gimme the weight of the physical form..

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:42 pm

You can't, their weight would fluctuate wildly with their height. And they are obviously partly mechanical partly biological. We don't know what alloys were used for the armor even. A weight estimate is impossible.
I heart Encyclopedia Dramatica!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:04 am

Dr. Strangelove wrote:And their physical forms are male

Don't tell THEM that...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:35 am

ISTR that whatever source it was that originally quoted the 50-200m (not 40, IIRC) had a mass range too - 20kt at the top end, again IIRC - but I've not been able to track it down.

@Dr Strangelove
Don't let the wide shoulders and (delicious (-- ob4chan)) flat chests fool you.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

badc0de
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby badc0de » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:56 am

Mr. Tines wrote:ISTR that whatever source it was that originally quoted the 50-200m (not 40, IIRC) had a mass range too - 20kt at the top end, again IIRC - but I've not been able to track it down.

If I didn't get it wrong, than it's possible to calculate the mass of the 50m (and even an 40m or 1km or ...) Eva:
200m/50m=4
So we simply scale the weight by 4³ (3 dimensions!):
20kt/(4³)=312.5t
So the 50m Eva would weight 312.5t (assumed they didn't dismantled something)
200m/40m=5
20kt/(5³)=160t

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:05 am

Mr. Tines wrote:ISTR that whatever source it was that originally quoted the 50-200m (not 40, IIRC) had a mass range too - 20kt at the top end, again IIRC - but I've not been able to track it down.

From Super Robot Wars. I had a pic of the status screen at one point, but ATM it's gone MIA. Dr. Nick, Soluzar, or Sharp-kun might be ones to ask...

And...

MDWigs wrote:After the series had finished, Gainax were asked if the Evas could be featured in Super Robot Wars (a strategic video game that has a lot of anime mecha in it). For this game the Gainax boys finally specified some “definite” dimensions for the Eva and these are listed in the encyclopedia for Super Robot Wars, as follows:

Official height: 40 ~ 200 m
Official weight: 700 ~ 96 000 t

@Dr Strangelove
Don't let the wide shoulders and (delicious (-- ob4chan)) flat chests fool you.

I don't think he was saying that they are actually males; my 'complaint' was more aimed at designating their body type as "male", since, from the POV of an Eva-type humanoid, it's as feminine as can be.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Darius
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Darius » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:20 pm

Well i wouldnt know how much they'd weigh...but I bet it would be a hell of a lot..and I assume they're 100 feet.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:11 pm

Reichu wrote:
MDWigs wrote:After the series had finished, Gainax were asked if the Evas could be featured in Super Robot Wars (a strategic video game that has a lot of anime mecha in it). For this game the Gainax boys finally specified some “definite” dimensions for the Eva and these are listed in the encyclopedia for Super Robot Wars, as follows:

Official height: 40 ~ 200 m
Official weight: 700 ~ 96 000 t

It fits. The maximum displacement for the world's largest aircraft carriers is 97,000 tons, meaning Unit #02 should have been able to fit on "Over The Rainbow" in episode #08. Not sure about Unit #02 and the angel though.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Shwiggie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shwiggie » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:49 pm

We can't know for sure due to the number of variables and the inconsistency of their depiction, but we can through inference make a decent ballpark estimate of the weight of an Evangelion.

Let's assume for convenience that we're dealing with a creature forty meters tall. Since they're ostensibly human in make-up (we'll ignore the structural problems inherent in a direct scaling of the human frame to this height), let's simply use a proportional figure. Since the majority of Evangelions are descended from Adam rather than Lilith, let us assume again for convenience that we're talking about characteristics consistent with humans of the male variety.

To make the estimate, I'll make it easy on myself and use the first figure I find...thanks to Wikipedia, we'll establish the baseline figure to be 172 lbs. @ a height of 5'9" (~1.75m). This is average for a North American male, which should do as well as any other...Evas within their universe aren't culturally derived, while we can carry over real-world conventions to its fictional world.

Doing the straight conversion, we can pose that an average Eva would find itself floating around 3925.6 lbs. (nearly two tons) @ a height of 40m. Using the same conversion, an Eva at 200m would be five times heavier, reaching around ten tons. None of this is really

However, this completely ignores the apparent issues of anorexia vs. lean muscle content, the projected mass of the 12,000 layers of armor used to clad the Evas (as stated by Asuka in the EoE movie), and the type equipment being used. In essense, this is a good ballpark for a complete simulation body, a completely unarmored, naked Evanglelion...one without the familiar trappings.

Also, the decision to base this proportion on the average man vs. the above average (I think Superman is typically cited as being 6'3" and weighing 225 lbs....using that, the Eva @ 40m would be closer to 4800 lbs.) is purely subjective.

badc0de
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby badc0de » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:54 am

Shwiggie wrote:To make the estimate, I'll make it easy on myself and use the first figure I find...thanks to Wikipedia, we'll establish the baseline figure to be 172 lbs. @ a height of 5'9" (~1.75m). This is average for a North American male, which should do as well as any other...Evas within their universe aren't culturally derived, while we can carry over real-world conventions to its fictional world.

Doing the straight conversion, we can pose that an average Eva would find itself floating around 3925.6 lbs. (nearly two tons) @ a height of 40m. Using the same conversion, an Eva at 200m would be five times heavier, reaching around ten tons. None of this is really

Don't you think that 2 tons are to few weight for a 40m "human"? 2m³ of water already weight 2 tons!
You simply have forgotten 2 dimensions, because you scale not only in the height-direction, but also the width and length.
Height: 40m/1.75m=22.857
So the weight scaled in all three dimensions would be: 172 lbs*22.857³=2053932.334 lbs or 1026.966t
40m -> 200m:
200m/40m=5
2053932.334 lbs * 5³=256741541.8 lbs or 128.371 kt
And that's still without the armor etc.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:43 pm

Shwiggie: Gainax provided an official weight, you know. :P
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:11 pm

dont you think Eva's height and weight are kinda trivial...theyre hardly important to the story at all...besides...since their size keeps changing constantly...it doesnt really matter...

Although...i do wonder if the Evas will change size in ELAM

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”