Intresting stuff about Rei, Lilith, and the Sephirotic Tree

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Legend of the Past
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Intresting stuff about Rei, Lilith, and the Sephirotic Tree

•      
  •      

Postby Legend of the Past » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:57 am

A disucussion with Reichu prompted me to a search in more Hewbreic resoruces about some stuff about Lilim, Lilith and the Tree of Sephiroth. The results were rather intresting.

About Lilith and Lilim: As it turns out, the "Adam's first wife" myth is one of quite a few myths about Lilith. In that myth, Lilith fled from Adam (The reasons are still discussed, but it's about sex or physical attraction, that much seems certain), met the king of Demons, Asmodai, and bore thousands of demons. Those demons are known as Lilim (Male plural)\Lilin (female Plural) or Lili (singular). Her children are commonly reffered to as Lilim because in Hebrew, when speaking of a group, as long as there is a single male, the whole group will be reffered to as male. Lilith's children, the Lilim, are said to constantly hunt Adam's children.

About the Sephirotic Tree of Life: First off, this isn't a tree of life-The Tree of Sephiroth hints towards ways to divinity, of becoming closer to God. (This could be something false, though, so I can't really gurantee this). Another thing that is noteable should be looked upon in this picture, where you see Rei standing in the Malkhuth sphere. Upon research, the results given were:

Hebrew Wikipedia wrote:Malkhuth, also known as 'Residual', is attributed to feminity, and it takes from the Yesod sphere what is given by God and trasfers it into the Physical world. It is not active, but passive, and alone it has nothing, a mere container. This fits the feminine description it gets.

Of the other side of Divinity, Satan, it is said that he is intresed in 'conquering the Malkhuth', to take over the Divine abundance that will reach the residiual Sphere.'

This is a literal translation, but I think it's fairly intresting to compare it to Rei, who is a figure that is attributed to maternal and feminine features throughout the series.
New Signature Policy

It all returns to nothing...

Ryousanki King
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ryousanki King » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:53 pm

Indeed, I've spoken with Reichu on a number of occasions about the Kabbalah and related religious lore. I ought to get that copy of the Zohar sooner or later so I can provide a bit more insight, but off the top of my head I can't think of anything else that you haven't mentioned already.
Currently: Working on some comics + Photoshopping some new avatars

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:59 pm

Ryousanki King wrote:I ought to get that copy of the Zohar sooner or later so I can provide a bit more insight

You can always be a cheapskate and go here. (I gotta get myself that CD-ROM...)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:09 pm

Ryousanki King wrote:Indeed, I've spoken with Reichu on a number of occasions about the Kabbalah and related religious lore. I ought to get that copy of the Zohar sooner or later so I can provide a bit more insight, but off the top of my head I can't think of anything else that you haven't mentioned already.

Sorry I can't say I recomand doing that unless you want to summon the Gnosis. http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/0/0c/190px-Original_Zohar_Xenosaga.jpg
I heart Encyclopedia Dramatica!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:09 am

@SEELE08: :groan:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:24 am

Other versions of the Lilith myth have her marrying Satan, and the Lilim are demons which suffocate young children during their sleep (a supernatural explanation for Sudden Infant Death Syndrom), or in other cases attack and fail (supernatural explanation for night terrors).

In the canological scriptures however, Eve was Adam's only wife, and demons are simply angels who rebelled against God to join Satan. The Lilith myths are suspected to be carried over from older mysticism in various parts of the world and being incorpated into their Jewish practices, and in some cases, Christian groups as well (in certain parts of Europe).

Legend of the Past
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Legend of the Past » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:52 am

Timstuff wrote:Other versions of the Lilith myth have her marrying Satan, and the Lilim are demons which suffocate young children during their sleep (a supernatural explanation for Sudden Infant Death Syndrom), or in other cases attack and fail (supernatural explanation for night terrors).

In the canological scriptures however, Eve was Adam's only wife, and demons are simply angels who rebelled against God to join Satan. The Lilith myths are suspected to be carried over from older mysticism in various parts of the world and being incorpated into their Jewish practices, and in some cases, Christian groups as well (in certain parts of Europe).

There are no demons, or fallen Angels for that case, in Judaism, which is why I always thought the Lilith story was sketchy at best. The 'other versions having her marry Satan and giving birth to Children' are the version I mentioned-It was Christinated so you like it.

SEELE 08 wrote:Sorry I can't say I recomand doing that unless you want to summon the Gnosis. http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/0/0c/190px-Original_Zohar_Xenosaga.jpg

A few monthes ago that would of REALLY pissed me off.
New Signature Policy

It all returns to nothing...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:58 am

Legend wrote:There are no demons, or fallen Angels for that case, in Judaism, which is why I always thought the Lilith story was sketchy at best. The 'other versions having her marry Satan and giving birth to Children' are the version I mentioned-It was Christinated so you like it.

These legends seem to be primarily apocryphal, AFAIK -- and that includes the Kabbalah stuff -- so they wouldn't fall into the "main" body of Judaism. But there is an incredibly rich storytelling tradition that involves fallen angels and demons, etc., like Christianity, although it has unique features such as Lilith, who never made it into Christian legend.

I think it's all pretty neat stuff. And the Judaic lore > Christian stuff.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Faußtin
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Faußtin » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:36 am

Indeed. Christianity was made with the usual "Copy->Paste" style. Miserable. Just like the word "Satan". Originaly, it is an arab word, "Shaitan", which means "the enemy of God". They used this word because the church thought that the arab language is impure, unclean. Another miserable thought. And Lucifer means "Lightbriger" in Latin, as you may have already heared. Titles, titles, titles... not a single name.

I've heared a version about why did Lilith and Adam divide. But please, don't take this too serious, because I've read it in a sci-fi book named The Warriors of the Catherdral. So guess why I've said what I said. :roll:

Lilith hated to be under Adam during sex, and when she told this to Adam, he raped her. She then ran to the Red Sea (the one we still have I guess). God then sent three angels to retrieve her: Senoi, Sansenoi and Semangelof. They threatened Lilith that she should return, but Lilith refused and said that she has become unclean/impure (I don't know which one is the better word here), because she layed with demons. The angels threatened that they will kill her if she won't obey, but Lilith reminded them of God's promise that she may decide the faith of the newborn children until the 8th day (the day of circumcision) of the boys and the 20th of the girls. Lilith promised the angels that if she sees a baby with an amulet with their names on it, then she will not harm the child. The angels accepted the bargain, but God punished her, that if she cannot kill a child this way, then she must turn against one of her own.
:twisted: !!!HELL IS FUN!!! :twisted:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:54 am

Well, rather than resort to paraphrasing from memory, or citations without specific references, perhaps tracking down the original source material would be better... Here is a rather scholarly page that addresses Lilith and her many appearances throughout legend (including Alphabet, of course).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”