They still wear school uniforms 14 years after 3I?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

They still wear school uniforms 14 years after 3I?

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:30 am

[Split from "Do you think there will be a final classroom scene in 4.0?". - Monk]

Speaking of school -- why are the uniforms still en vogue 14 years after Third Impact? That's pretty weird. Shinji, Kaworu and Rei all have them. Personally, I'm hoping for some freaky Jim Jones school filled with brainwashed Eva pilots trained to do Gendo's bidding.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:37 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Speaking of school -- why are the uniforms still en vogue 14 years after Third Impact? That's pretty weird. Shinji, Kaworu and Rei all have them.

Rei's seem to be a holdover from the previos Rei's, we see other assorted random things from her appartment in that box (pill wrappers etc.)

...as for Shinji & Kaworu, the easiest explanation is that this is finally a sighn that there *still* is some connection between NERV and the school in this continuity - hence why Shinji and Kaworu get em from automatic dispensers.

...Does Kaworu even sweat/have to change outfits? He's only shaped like a human.

well, regardless of whether Kaworu does, Rei, Gendo and Fuyu certainly do, so its probably automatic, like everything else we see in Neo-NERV. You probably throw used clothes back in the dispenser how you do with the plates, and then it gets washed and dispensed again.

Poor Fuyu. You'd think someone of his age would be better off with some physicians nearby. He must be, like, seventy. With only Gendo for company...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Re: They still wear school uniforms 14 years after 3I?

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:30 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:[Split from "Do you think there will be a final classroom scene in 4.0?". - Monk]

Speaking of school -- why are the uniforms still en vogue 14 years after Third Impact? That's pretty weird. Shinji, Kaworu and Rei all have them. Personally, I'm hoping for some freaky Jim Jones school filled with brainwashed Eva pilots trained to do Gendo's bidding.

Well, we never see ReiQ actually wearing the uniform. I'd be surprised if she actually knows how to don any outfit other than her plugsuit. It might just be leftovers from previous Reis. No-one else in the film other than Shinji and Kaworu actually wears the uniform anymore. I suppose that's meant to illustrate the connection between Kaworu and Shinji, because from Shinji's perspective the uniform is something from before the timeskip, a symbol of the days before people were trying to kill him. Since Kaworu is wearing the uniform he appears more normal to Shinji, especially in comparison to the plusguit-wearing ReiQ, thus Shinji opens up to him easily.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:06 pm

Still strikes me as weird how 3.0 Rei has the AU Rei uniform from Episode 26/2.0's Next Time Preview. (See the linked images in the quote.)

But yeah, I figured they just never bothered getting rid of the school uniforms. The pilots can't be wearing plugsuits all the time.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:15 pm

The uniforms themselves are probably Nerv issue. If you look at the children's desks in 1.0/2.0, they have a Tokyo-3 Nerv leaf logo on them.

The fact that the uniforms come from an automated dispenser, and that Toji wore one at some point, leads me to believe that they are in effect, a type of uniform for civilians/pilots. Note that Asuka and Rei also worse their uniforms while on duty in Nerv HQ, and this despite Asuka having a penchant for changes of outfit elsewhere.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:46 pm

Since N3I and possibly 3I, going down to the shops to get new clothes has presumably been less of an option. The school clothes are functional; they will serve - what else is there to consider?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:18 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:The uniforms themselves are probably Nerv issue. If you look at the children's desks in 1.0/2.0, they have a Tokyo-3 Nerv leaf logo on them.

Nice catch!

So the connection may still stand, or at least NERV must have funded the thing.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”