What anime are you watching right now? May-Nov '13

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:18 am

Finished watching Tatami Galaxy after putting it off for a couple of months.
SPOILER: Show
I gotta say that the art style took a bit of getting used to but after a while it grew on me. Another issue I had early on was the speed of the duologue but again all it took was a bit of adjusting on my part. Watashi's misadventures in the various clubs he joins were both hilarious and painful at times. I have to admit the first reset caught me a bit off guard but after the final episode everything made sense. It's a great groundhog day anime. It really relates the fear,anticipation and hope that a lot of College freshmen have. I really enjoyed this one I feel so bad for taking so long to finish it. :(

Also Hanuki FTW!
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:40 pm

Riff, you should start with Ghost in the Shell. Now, that's just my personal opinion, but I really think you should go with it. After that, go to the NHK. ;) Beyond that, I don't really have an opinion! :lol:

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby AR-99 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:10 pm

Just pick one or watch em all, alternating viewings. Sometimes I think I will like one series over another but this ends up getting flipped after actual viewing.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:37 pm

Riff, i'd choose Welcome to the NHK first, then GitS.

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

Postby moonwolf2024 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:07 pm

Just caught up on Devil Survivor 2.

It basically follows most Shin Megami Tensei plot lines. The world is on trial by a supreme being. During this trial the human race must fight seven demons in seven days in order to be judged. As most Shin Megami that i know of the characters turn into demons. These particular characters are given a cell phone app that can summon and control demons. This was my expresssion when i first saw that :| . But to my surprise.... it's actually not so bad. It gets little cliche, but the demon battles make up for it.
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:50 pm

^I just wished
that they didn't kill off half of the cast.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:02 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:Macross episode 18

Well fock

:salute:

fucking pineapples man, fucking pineapples.

Princess and the Pilot

Hard to say much about film so throughoughly mediocre and slavishly formulaic to fault. The animation was fine in general but not amazing and many CG shots looked cheap and careless. Characters were ok, but not too interesting or involving. Story followed the genre routine step by step with boring certainty when it wasn't stumbling over things like pretty awkward insertation of semi-romance. Followingly background art and music were both okay, but again nothing that really stood out.

It's quite simply throughoughly mediocre film. It doesn't feel like waste of 1h40mins but nor does it feel worth watching. The few things that stood out (in good and in bad) for me were

- the final dogfight in the end, which was pretty decent. I'm big fan of aviation and dogfights and the last one was rather decent
- lead heroine's voice actor was incredibly wooden and awkward. It's very rarely I find performances lacking in my anime but this was a clear case. The lead seiyuu's acting simply was awkward, no way around it, but I don't feel too harsh about this given she was just 16 when this film was made and this was her first big role

5/10

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

Postby moonwolf2024 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:16 pm

View Original PostJune wrote:^I just wished
that they didn't kill off half of the cast.

Oh I agree.

I knew a few would die, but not EVERYBODY. However, that's Shin Megami style. There's usually only few left at the end.
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:38 pm

Macross episode 19

It keeps happening...

He couldn't even finish his steak

:salute:

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:53 pm

The abandoned steak was the only part of Macross that made me cry. What a fucking holocaust that was.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:36 am

Berserk Golden Age Arc Part III: Descent

Everything about this film frustrated me. From the shit CGI that hasn't seemed to improve since the first film's PS2 lookalikes, to the fact that the hand animated segments and backgrounds are all absolutely gorgeous in comparison, the movie's visual schizophrenia was jarring enough that it's impossible to look too far beyond it. It's still every bit as violent, grotesque, and horrifying as the previous installments, yet, similar to the previous installments, it has yet to live up to either the comic nor its anime predecessor. Maybe it's because the direction to the film is simply off just as often as it's on point. Maybe it's because Shirou Sagisu blows at writing BGM appropriate to Berserk's overall tone. Maybe it's because the CGI is too blatant with its awkward integration.

who knows

Oh yeah, and Wyald has yet to make it to the screen. Maybe one day, when they try again to adapt Berserk, but not today. ;__;

5/10

in fact, the whole set thus far is 5/10

damnit

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:16 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Oh yeah, and Wyald has yet to make it to the screen. Maybe one day, when they try again to adapt Berserk, but not today. ;__;

Seriously? What the hell was the point of these movies again? This is neither enjoyable nor exciting.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:18 pm

Ugh, as always I've started to doubt my choice to forgo the GitS manga and watch the series/movies instead. I could probably start and finish it tonight if I put my mind to it, since it's not that long. Would reading the manga spoil the events of the series/movies at all? I think this is about the third time I've asked you guys about the viewing order for GitS....
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:20 pm

^Nah, the manga, films, and show are all of different continuities. The films and show are based off of the manga but do things completely different.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:31 pm

Just remember that original movie Major is the best and everyone who says otherwise is wrong.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:44 pm

View Original PostJune wrote:The films and show are based off of the manga but do things completely different.

I get that, but how much is "completely differently", exactly? Do they take different paths but arrive at the same conclusion? Sorry to sound like a broken record.

In other news, since I still wasn't sure about GitS I watched episodes 231 and 232 of Naruto: Shippuuden to kick of my return to anime-watching. I'll probably watch three more episodes tonight and then start reading GitS. I might just stay up and try to finish it and then watch the movies tomorrow.
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:46 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:I get that, but how much is "completely differently", exactly? Do they take different paths but arrive at the same conclusion? Sorry to sound like a broken record.
The first movie covers a similar set of events to the main overarching story arc of the manga; some scenery and incidents from the manga appear in 2nd Gig -- and that anime ends with the opening scene of the manga's 2nd chapter. Otherwise only names and faces are shared.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:18 pm

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:The abandoned steak was the only part of Macross that made me cry.

Runner is where it's at. Still one of the best ED's ever. The regular version is bad enough on its own but I'm hopeless against one in finale not to speak of the duet in end of 2012. Oh god that duet...

After War Gundam X

This series was overall positive surprise. It wasn't great, it had a very weak start and some deep running issues but on the other hand it eventually became quite engaging, cast was fine and for the first time since Zeta (or CCA) the franchise actually did something with the absolutely central SF concept of Newtypes and I can't stress how overwhelmingly positively impressed I was by how After War dealt with it.

While I would've preferred more Fallout apocalypse After War was still very fascinating "what if" take on UC Gundam. Jamil was essentially shellshocked adult Amuro (with his Char counterpart making small appereances towards the end) while battered UC expies from Fed remnants to cyber newtypes run around the setting merrily. I found this very interesting experience that was nice on its own but extra interesting seen as mirror of UC.

I warmed up slowly to the cast but eventually ended up rather liking it. Garrod is stereotypical 90s shonen lead but I found him tolerable/likeable enough and it was really fresh change of pace to have a MC who very pointedly was NOT Newtype nor angsty ball of teenage autism but rather a happy go lucky guy who waned to Save The Girl. It would've been hard for me to remain utterly indifferent to such positive chap. As for others, Tifa remains passive and underwhelming post-Rei heroine for majority of series but I liked those merc guys (the episode dedicated to duo when they left home was one of the best) as well a blonde Misato. What really impressed me was the obligatory Psycho Bitch character eventually getting development that turned her into decent human being instead of badly written clichebeast destined to die horribly a la Tomino. The least convincing characterization comes from the villains because Frost brothers were seriously lame overall and kind of retardedly written in terms of actions and motivations behind those actions. They could've been ok early- to midbosses but as main antagonists they're...uhh, yeah.

Animation is decent for the era and doesn't abuse recycling beyond point of welcome and mecha designs were fine. I was rather fond of X Gundam and its cool special move. Dibs also for the Bit Mobile Suit system that was fairly interesting next step from funnels of which I got utterly sick of already back in ZZ.

As for story it has its problems - a bit rushed towards end, weak beginning, Newtype Dolphins don't make much sense - but overall I found it pretty engaging and interesting ever since the New Feddies started to take central role. I especially enjoyed the short arc set in East Asia's independent kingdoms.

So yeah, pretty decent anime I enjoyed unexpectedly much which is more interesting SF than any other Gundam I've seen in long while and had fairly interesting story to boot. It doesn't really do any single thing particularly well but overall I found it enjoyable enough to consider this score a bit too harsh but nevertheless

6/10

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:43 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The first movie covers a similar set of events to the main overarching story arc of the manga; some scenery and incidents from the manga appear in 2nd Gig -- and that anime ends with the opening scene of the manga's 2nd chapter. Otherwise only names and faces are shared.

Great! This is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. Guess I'll read/watch everything in release order to appease my inner control-freak. :lol:
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Na7e » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:10 pm

Valvrave is just the gift that keeps on giving. :lol:

Return to “Old Stickies”