Anime does not equal Japanese cartoons

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby delispin25 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:53 pm

View Original PostXavierla wrote:I'm serious Akira is technically counted as simply Japanese animation but not anime. God I'm tired of hearing this from people, no one has given me good reason to why I couldn't pickup a pen or pencil and make an anime when someone who is Japanese could do it. I think that just calling it a Japanese cartoon is BULLSHIT, there I said it. You can't sit here and seriously tell me that the only reason why anime is different from other cartoons is because it is from Japan. I do not understand that logic at all! As an artist who is very into anime and manga I think that this idea that anime is simply a Japanese cartoon needs to stop because it is an insult to the creativity of people of other races. The fact that we are really going to sit here at look at me weird when I say it's stupid to call a Japanese cartoon styled like the Simpsons an anime shows that people are being way too rigid. This is just like when people say rap is not music, everybody is being way to rigid and it's pissing me off!

Look, Akira is anime, no matter how you look at it, it is and will always be anime. No one has given you a good reason that you couldn't make anime because, there is none! If you want to draw in an anime like fashion, then knock yourself out. One of my favorite anime series, Cybersix was created by two animation companies, TMS and a Canadian animation studio, but it looks like anime, so it is recognized as an anime. In Japan South Park is anime, why, because animation in Japan, no matter where it is from is called, anime. You sound very bitter, did you realize that you can't become a manga artist in Japan? When I was in my weeaboo stage of anime fandom, I too wanted to make manga in Japan. I know now, that it will never happen. Why would a Japanese person send you (or me) to Japan to do a job a Japanese person could? They wouldn't. Also a Japanese show styled like the Simpsons isn't uncommon. You have to realize where anime came from, it wasn't a Japanese idea. American GI's brought animation over to Japan after WW2 and that is what influenced them. And I think you need to stop being so rigid.
"At least I get laid." - TDSA
"I LITERALLY CANT STOP BEATING WOMEN" - CJD

Xavierla
Adam

Postby Xavierla » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:47 pm

View Original Postdelispin25 wrote:Look, Akira is anime, no matter how you look at it, it is and will always be anime. No one has given you a good reason that you couldn't make anime because, there is none! If you want to draw in an anime like fashion, then knock yourself out. One of my favorite anime series, Cybersix was created by two animation companies, TMS and a Canadian animation studio, but it looks like anime, so it is recognized as an anime. In Japan South Park is anime, why, because animation in Japan, no matter where it is from is called, anime. You sound very bitter, did you realize that you can't become a manga artist in Japan? When I was in my weeaboo stage of anime fandom, I too wanted to make manga in Japan. I know now, that it will never happen. Why would a Japanese person send you (or me) to Japan to do a job a Japanese person could? They wouldn't. Also a Japanese show styled like the Simpsons isn't uncommon. You have to realize where anime came from, it wasn't a Japanese idea. American GI's brought animation over to Japan after WW2 and that is what influenced them. And I think you need to stop being so rigid.

That was already resolved earlier in the argument.

It's certainly quite easy to tell that a piece of animation is Japanese most of the time, even (hell often ESPECIALLY) the stuff that looks 'not anime-esque' to a western audience. Things like Mind Game and Dead Leaves are quite overtly Japanese-looking. Same goes for Panty & Stocking; someone familiar with anime should easily spot the "Japaneseness" of the compositions, the movement, everything. It's an obviously Japanese work that just has some Cartoon Network/Nickelodeon-inspired designs. These look 'western' in some ways, sure, but they're still great examples of the uniqueness of anime because they allow you to more easily notice the overtly "anime-esque" elements of something that doesn't use the stock "big eyes, pointy chins" style.

I think this separation between "anime" and "those other cartoons" comes from how anime was marketed in the west by Manga Entertainment and other companies like that. "Like cartoons, but EDGY AND VIOLENT AND MATURE!". The idea that anime is 'different', the 'exotic' aspect, has always been a part of anime's marketing and it led to a lot of silly misconceptions.

I completely agree that is why I see it as being more of a type of cartooning that can be done by anyone however I do agree that it can't really be called an anime unless it is for a Japanese audience. I would love to see a good American animation company make an anime and I would especially love to see a collaboration between an anime company like Gainax with an animation company like Disney. If an american company were to make a company do you think it would turn out weird if they didn't outsource to a Japanese company since they are not Japanese and are not 100% in depth on the Japanese culture.

Xavierla
Adam

Anime is not a Japanese cartoon

Postby Xavierla » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:05 am

Anime is not a Japanese cartoon. There are a number of reasons for this.

1. The definition of anime being a Japanese cartoon is something Americans attached to the term in the mid 70's when it started reaching towards a wider audience. The Japanese term (which is the correct term given that it originated in Japan) is merely animation. For the Japanese anything animated is anime.

2. Anime is made in other places than Japan. Anime has been made in both Korea and China.

3. Impressionism is not unique to Paris nor is Precisionism unique to America, they simply originated there. The same can be said for anime.

Anime- A cinematic and visual art form that is usually expressed in Japanese animated productions and also refers to animation in general amongst the Japanese which usually consists of exaggerated, surrealistic expressions of pop art in order to represent and sometimes mock realism and modern pop culture.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:23 am

Xavierla
Adam

Postby Xavierla » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:35 am

This is a response to my original statement.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:21 am

You are just rotating the same shit over and over again. Why make a comeback after 8 months? Just let it go.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:39 am

View Original PostXavierla wrote:This is a response to my original statement.

There's this Australian anime I think you should check out.
It's really neat.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:52 am

Oh god he is back :coffee:

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:27 am

the simpsons is the best thing to come out of korea by a wide margin
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:18 pm

The links in this post tell us pretty much everything we need to know about the subject. I don't think there's much left to talk about in light of that.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Xavierla
Adam

Postby Xavierla » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:00 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:You are just rotating the same shit over and over again. Why make a comeback after 8 months? Just let it go.

to make my point.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:27 pm

View Original PostXavierla wrote:to make my point.

No one bought it before. Nothing's changed. You're wasting your time.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:33 am

View Original PostXavierla wrote:to make my point.

There was no misunderstanding of your point before and there is none now. We already spent a couple of pages arguing the same things so just let it go.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Xavierla
Adam

Postby Xavierla » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:39 am

View Original PostOz wrote:There was no misunderstanding of your point before and there is none now. We already spent a couple of pages arguing the same things so just let it go.

I can't just do that, I'm right. None of you has taken anything I have said in account.
HOUSE MUSIC IS ONE OF THE GREATEST FORMS OF MUSIC IN EXISTENCE!!!!

schwarzstahlhelm1993
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: Anime does not equal Japanese cartoons

Postby schwarzstahlhelm1993 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:40 am

View Original PostXavierla wrote:is like saying that if the Japanese were to make a cartoon like the Simpsons it could be considered anime and I don't think this is the case.

Oh, but it would be, by the Japanese. Not to mention that the designs would be manga style anyway.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:16 am

View Original PostXavierla wrote:I can't just do that, I'm right. None of you has taken anything I have said in account.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think the definition of "anime" is?

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:25 am

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:Just out of curiosity, what do you think the definition of "anime" is?

Xavierla wrote:Anime- A cinematic and visual art form that is usually expressed in Japanese animated productions and also refers to animation in general amongst the Japanese which usually consists of exaggerated, surrealistic expressions of pop art in order to represent and sometimes mock realism and modern pop culture.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:46 am

Wow, I somehow missed that whole post. -o-;

I like how he describes it as an art consisting of pop-art. And realistic sometimes and not other times.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:16 am

View Original PostXavierla wrote:I can't just do that, I'm right.

No, you're not. You're completely wrong -- for the Japanese "Anime" refers to any animated work, and for everyone else it refers to Japanese animation made for a Japanese audience. That's it. That's how the term is used in Japan and abroad. Your attempt to limit it to a particular style of work is bullshit since that's not how the term is used either in Japan or out.

Your opinion on the matter has no bearing on how the term is actually used. Stop arguing based on how you think things ought to be and start looking at reality.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:32 am

This is just one big exercise in futility.

I can't believe this has gone on for four pages.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Return to “Anime and Manga”