"Curse of Eva"

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Pyce
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Pyce » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:33 pm

View Original PostOrizon wrote:Asuka calling humans "lillin" is heavily implying that she (and mari) are something else. The LCL just seems a bit too easy an explanation.

When we first see Shinji, his left foot says "S. Ikari??" and his right says "BM-03"

In the next scene they refer to him as "Specimen DM-03" (I'm assuming the the B to D was just a goof)

I'd say they don't really know what Shinji is and Asuka and Mari are probably the same as he is (though perhaps not to the same extent, they were not absorbed in an Eva for 14 years)
Poop

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:37 pm

View Original PostPyce wrote:When we first see Shinji, his left foot says "S. Ikari??" and his right says "BM-03"

In the next scene they refer to him as "Specimen DM-03" (I'm assuming the the B to D was just a goof)

I'd say they don't really know what Shinji is and Asuka and Mari are probably the same as he is (though perhaps not to the same extent, they were not absorbed in an Eva for 14 years)

i really want to know that bm stands for. and Shinji went to the same cointeiner process coffin that Asuka was.
ANATA BAKA !?

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:20 pm

My initial thought is it stands for Biomass. This is a great nondescript way to refer to something that could be alive/dead/unknown, but definitely organic. After all, they are initially not 100% sure that Shinji is Shinji.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:03 pm

View Original PostPyce wrote:In the next scene they refer to him as "Specimen DM-03" (I'm assuming the the B to D was just a goof)

It was just people mishearing from the audio rip. As soon as I saw that "BM" is used persistently onscreen in the actual film, I fixed the translation to read "BM" instead of "DM". (Of course, any subtitles you might have won't auto-fix.)

View Original Postslothen wrote:My initial thought is it stands for Biomass. This is a great nondescript way to refer to something that could be alive/dead/unknown, but definitely organic. After all, they are initially not 100% sure that Shinji is Shinji.

Works for me. Good guess. :thumbsup:

There needs to be a scene in Final of Shinji meeting BM-01 and BM-02. Flamethrower optional.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:15 pm

is it actually a "B", I first thought it was the beta character

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:20 pm

View Original PostK40s wrote:is it actually a "B", I first thought it was the beta character

さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:23 pm

My guess is the "03" is related to him being the 3rd Child.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:02 pm

View Original Postdriftking18594 wrote:My guess is the "03" is related to him being the 3rd Child.

Yes. They could have either pulled him out and seen "ok it looks like Shinji lets designate it 03" Or it could mean its the third such undetermined biomass to be identified. If we assume that BM-## designation system is for things that are not-quite-human anymore, than Mari and Asuka could have such designations. If its a designation for things truly not fully known, then they wouldn't get such a designation since they've been around for 14 years. Which logically would lead us to think that he's the third thing to have been pulled out of the recovered eva unit-01. By that metric, this designation system could have started with the retrieval of Rei-01 (according to the series theory of Rei's existence) or it could mean things extracted from eva unit-01 post-space retrieval (or once again "it looks like Shinji, lets label it 03").
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Alpha
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Alpha » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:07 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:There needs to be a scene in Final of Shinji meeting BM-01 and BM-02. Flamethrower optional.

Have we watched the Alien franchise as of late, Reichu? :w00t:
Last edited by Alpha on Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is what nature planned. This is nature's sacrifice.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:25 pm

Should I rent Prometheus?

MAL Profile

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:49 am

Is the "curse of Eva" just another way of saying "Being a Newtype is suffering"?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:02 pm

View Original Postslothen wrote:Should I rent Prometheus?

Yes.

Moving along, does the presence of BM-01 and BM-02 suggest that there have been other, hideously disfigured Shinji/Angel hybrids or Shinji-lookalikes pulled out of the core? (I may be borrowing from Alien Resurrection a bit heavily there, but still). Or possibly BM-01 and BM-02 may be Mari and Asuka, since we don't know if they're really human either.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Yokai
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Yokai » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:41 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:does the presence of BM-01 and BM-02 suggest that there have been other, hideously disfigured Shinji/Angel hybrids or Shinji-lookalikes pulled out of the core? (I may be borrowing from Alien Resurrection a bit heavily there, but still). Or possibly BM-01 and BM-02 may be Mari and Asuka, since we don't know if they're really human either.

It seems that the BM classification is used because they don't know who or what they were taking out of the core. If you think about it logically, either Shinji, Yui or Rei could have been pulled out of the core. I think that's the reason why they conducted the various tests when Shinji wakes up -- they wanted to make sure that the body matches the 3rd child, but also that the soul is able to conduct self-identification. Therefore, when they pulled something out of the core that appeared to be Shinji, they labeled him "BM03" since he was the third person to enter the core. The mystery is: If what Ritsuko is saying about "nobody" being in the core anymore is true, then what happened to Yui? Or the other Rei? More specifically, who is the control mechanism of Unit 1 aka The Wunder? Considering the voice of Rei in Shinji's head, which occurs right before he's 'saved' by ReiQ, it could be the case that Yui and Rei are both within Shinji's body as well -- but at this point, it's only a theory. It would explain why he was so traumatized to figure out about Gendo making clones of his mother (not that it wouldn't traumatize somebody regardless.)

As for the 'Curse of Eva', I'm sure that was left obtuse and confusing on purpose. Unfortunately, there's not enough materials in 3.0 that can give us a good indication of what it could potentially be. Using logic, however, the only safe thing we can assume is that people who pilot the Evangelion are no longer human, either that or they are "children" of one of the angels (my guess would be Adam?).

There's an interesting line in End of Evangelion, in a scene that depicts Fuyutsuki and Yui discussing the Evangelion, in which Yui states:

End of Evangelion 1:22:57 wrote:Fuyutsuki: When man created Evangelion, were we trying to create a clone of God?
Yui: Yes. Humans can only exist on this earth, but the Evangelion can live forever... Along with the human soul that dwells within.

Perhaps this is trying to draw parallels between two completely different works, but it seems to me that the idea of the "immortal pilot" may have been in the works for a long time. If you keep that in mind with the ending of EoE, perhaps it also changes the meaning of that scene as well? Just a bit of a thought. It's unclear to me whether she means dwelling physically within the core, or even being associated / inside the evangelion unit. Perhaps synchronizing with the Evangelion unit has a negative (arguably) side effect? I think it's just another case of 'Cursed with Awesome.'

I guess we'll see (or not see) what the deal with this is in 4.0...

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:19 am

I did think that Rei's voice during ReiQ's search was weird, but I thought that it was coming from ReiQ, not Rei II (just a feeling though) . I think Ritsuko was probably lying about not finding anyone in the core, to prevent Shinji from trying to tamper with Eva-01. Or Yui and Rei could be deliberately resisting any salvage attempts to fulfil Yui's mysteroous agenda. Yui resisted Gendo's attempts to salvage her in NGE (and possibly in NME as well) so she the means to resist salvage, and I can't really picture her choosing to exit the Eva until she fulfils the objective that made her get in in the first place.

And I'm nothing like you

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:36 am

I took ReiQ's strange voice during the rescue to be either telepathy or hacking into a PA system (that's a bit mundane, though - magic is so much nicer).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:40 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I took ReiQ's strange voice during the rescue to be either telepathy or hacking into a PA system (that's a bit mundane, though - magic is so much nicer).

Yeah I thought ReiQ was communicating with Shinji telepathically, or had connected the PA system to the Mark 09 somehow. Probably the latter, though.

And I'm nothing like you

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:39 am

There needs to be a scene in Final of Shinji meeting BM-01 and BM-02. Flamethrower optional.
we ellen ripley now
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:14 pm

Reasons why Anno invented "curse of eva":
-Figure ect. Merchandise.
-He's afraid that fans might get angry if the pilots get older.(?)
-Because it's an anime, mecha pilots are usually teens.
-So that the masturbating otaku's wouldn't feel guilt fapping for 14-year old girls anymore, not that they are 14-years "older". (Well, that never stopped them doing so before this time-skip thingy anyway.)
-This was made so fans wouldn't realize the time-skip part.
-So that Shinji could identify with Asuka and other pilots for some reason we'll see in 4.0?
(any thoughts?)
Last edited by Giji Shinka on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Merkaba
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Merkaba » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:18 pm

... Or so the target audience (middle/high school Japanese children) would have more than one character to identify with.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:34 pm

View Original PostMerkaba wrote:... Or so the target audience (middle/high school Japanese children) would have more than one character to identify with.

Oops! I forgot that part. :tongue:
Time-skip wasn't necessary, but in a way, it was. :hahaha:
Forgot to add to previous post: Maybe it is something important for the plot?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”