Q Trailers Thread (was: Q trailer on new Nico Nico)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:15 pm

SPOILER: Show

(Sorry for the large images, guys and gals. Forgot to resize them when I uploaded them to Imageshack.)

More trollish cropping by Anno's team here. If the second shot had been framed differently, we would be able to see the top part of the display behind Mari, where the name of her Eva Unit is shown.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Na7e » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:17 pm

View Original PostJornophelanthas wrote:This also feeds into my pet theory that the Shinji-in-emotional-distress-while-holding-the-music-player footage from the trailer is him grieving over Rei not having returned with him.

It's possible, but the one Rei had was broken. In the trailer you can see the headphones leading from a new S-Dat into his ears. So he had to get a new one, and a message at that, by who is up in the air, but I suscribe that Rei isn't leaving Unit-01 it definitely can't be her he's grieving over.

View Original PostJornophelanthas wrote:but also because she somehow got through to him enough to draw him out of the shelter.

No, she didn't. She just grabbed him out of the shelter, and forced him to take notice of the damage while telling him to run away.

View Original PostJornophelanthas wrote:In NGE, Shinji found the ability to love after hope was placed out of his reach.

Asuka Langley Soryu wrote:Anyone will do. You don't care who it is! You're afraid of Misato, and the First Child... you're afraid of your mother and father, too! So now you come running to me because that's the easiest way to keep from getting hurt! You never even loved yourself! You're all you have and you never even learned to like yourself!

It's an oddly compelling quote, though it still fits considering Shinji's impetus for locking himself down in Unit-01 was to avoid pain forever.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:21 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Having slept on it, the thing that strikes me about this trailer is that it feels more like Evangelion than the spaceships'n'stuff trailers for 2.0 ever did. Even in the lighter-hearted parts of the series, things were much more restrained and introspective, even verging on the claustrophobic (one scene of Gendo on a sub-orbital flight notwithstanding).

Yeah, I've always felt that Anno was building up to the more introspective tones in the latter half of NME like he did with the original NGE. It's always all fun and games until Unit 01 starts consuming Angels, really.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:40 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:In the pic above, you cant see anything of Kaworu in the reflection of the keys on the surface of the piano. What you reckon - deliberate and of note or animation flub?

Also in the yellow-tinted shot of nekkid Rei between the clothes shot and the meds shot, her hair is wet. Just like Kaworu's in one shot of the teaser at the end of 2.0

She may just have climbed out of the tube....

If you look at the cardboard box, the floor beneath it resembles the one in the tube room. Check with the scene of Gendo sitting there in 2.X.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:41 pm

View Original PostPomme wrote:@JimJam! : It can't be tears, when you cry, you cry with your 2 eyes not only one. For me it looks like drool.
Remembering the most notorious incident when Shinji is shown dripping with bodily fluids, one just hopes that Kaworu is not involved.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Re: Listening to Ode To Joy

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:50 pm

View Original PostTheTuna wrote:It's not the same environment; the brown line behind Kaworu is the piano bench he's sitting on.

That's why I was saying perhaps Kaworu is on a lower or higher level (he's looking upwards--towards Shinji??).
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Rj123541
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Rj123541 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:05 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Remembering the most notorious incident when Shinji is shown dripping with bodily fluids, one just hopes that Kaworu is not involved.
Hello Shinchan.
logic.
ロジック
Avatar: "Irelia", my top lane masterpiece.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:10 pm

View Original PostRj123541 wrote:Hello Shinchan.

That may be a bit much. I know Hyper Shinchan is the go-to guy on EvaGeeks when it comes to KxS, but I doubt he wants them to go full on ecchi in Q.... I hope...
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Rj123541
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Rj123541 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:11 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:That may be a bit much. I know Hyper Shinchan is the go-to guy on EvaGeeks when it comes to KxS, but I doubt he wants them to go full on ecchi in Q.... I hope...
But it has already begun...
logic.
ロジック
Avatar: "Irelia", my top lane masterpiece.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:37 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:That may be a bit much. I know Hyper Shinchan is the go-to guy on EvaGeeks when it comes to KxS, but I doubt he wants them to go full on ecchi in Q.... I hope...

Sorry but I already went beyond the ecchi line
View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:I'm looking forward to some buttsex in the next film
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:48 pm

^Ah, right. Forgot that little tidbit right there. Carry on....
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:54 pm

I still don't see the need of associating frothing with sex though, probably some other dudes around here have thoughts more depraved than mine.
Last edited by Hyper Shinchan on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:56 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:I still don't see the need of associating frothing with sex though, probably some other dudes around here have more depraved thoughts than me.

Yeah, same here. I just thought Shinji was gritting his teeth in frustration about something. Maybe the same thing that later caused him to go fetal position.
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:04 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:

o.-
-.o
o.o Is it just me, or is there some fuckery going on in that diagram in the background?

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:10 pm

View Original Postarkiel wrote:o.-
-.o
o.o Is it just me, or is there some fuckery going on in that diagram in the background?

What exactly do you mean?
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Jayfive » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:21 pm

I just want to know what those white shapes are near the bottom, I thought they were part of the plug suit, but they dont move along with here.

Speaking of Mari, we've only got a month until we can all go and laugh at...that guy...for putting forward and then persisting with that 'Mari is so-called because she is a a Mary Sue' theory. Thats a good thing.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:38 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:I just want to know what those white shapes are near the bottom, I thought they were part of the plug suit, but they dont move along with here.

I thought those were the white portion of the plugsuit that covers Mari's breasts. It could just be some bad animation.
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby driftking18594 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:41 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:Speaking of Mari, we've only got a month until we can all go and laugh at...that guy...for putting forward and then persisting with that 'Mari is so-called because she is a a Mary Sue' theory. Thats a good thing.

I doubt that anyone at Khara has heard of that term, at least before Mari was named.

darthikari
Adam

Postby darthikari » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:44 pm

Just a bit of extra info, the Eva Facebook group states that the movie poster will be revealed on Saturday. :)
"I've had recurring nightmares, that I was loved for who I am, and missed the opportunity to be a better man..."

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Jornophelanthas » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:50 pm

Having watched the trailer again (and again, and again, and again, and...) I am now actually starting to doubt my own position that the Rei we see there is a Rebuild-version of Rei III.

We have two shots of Rei in the trailer. The first is Rei naked floating inside a tube, opening her eyes in an expression of what looks to be astonishment or surprise. This is a display of emotion that can be attributed to both Rei II and Rei III.

The second time we see Rei in the trailer, she is (still) naked with dripping hair, looking at the camera and speaking. Also, her facial expression (mostly the eyelids and eyebrows) seem to suggest to me the faintest of smiles.
We can derive a few things from this:
1. Rei is not alone in that scene.
2. Rei is making eye contact with someone.
3. Her expression is not blank and doll-like.

Needless to say, 2. and 3. are behaviour very unlike a Rebuild-version of Rei III.
Recall Rei II in episode 5 of NGE, and Rebuild-Rei in Rebuild 1.0. In both continuities, Rei was not embarrassed at Shinji seeing her naked or having Shinji fall on top of her with his hand on her bosom while being showered with her own underwear. Nor did she exhibit any discomfort at having Shinji in the room while she dressed herself.
Recall Rei III in episode 23 of NGE. This Rei was mostly confused, stopped wearing clothes at some point without a second thought, and had no clear memories of her previous life (or more accurately, her predecessor's life). Still, she was prone to unexpected emotions associated with people or items she did not consciously remember.

The point I am trying to make is that the second of Rei we see in that trailer already exhibits more social aptitude than Rei III ever did in NGE or EoE. While I admit that her expression in that second shot could still be very neutral, the fact that she is making eye contact while speaking to someone is a huge deal.

---
The final question I wish to address in this post is, of course, who she could be talking to.This pure is guesswork, but my guess is it would have to be someone she has interacted with before, because Rei tends to ignore people who have no direct bearing on her.

Possible candidates are:
- Gendo (who has seen her naked before, during tube-floating sessions)
- Shinji (who she has a meaningful relationship with, no matter which version of Rei we're talking about)
- Ritsuko (who performed medical check-ups on Rei during 2.0, and who Rei also addressed by name at least once)
- One of the female pilots, with whom she could have been bathing (which is highly unlikely, but not impossible and a pipedream for many a fan)
- Kaworu (...)

And finally:
- Anyone, really. (If this Rei has the same personality and memories as the character we saw in Rebuild 2.0, she has learned how to interact socially. Proof of this is her greeting the class upon entering the classroom. To everybody's astonishment.)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”