[News] 2012 News (NO POLITICS)

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:56 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:Quick question: So you all think "Retard" ok given the context, do you guys support the usage of "Faggot" when not referring to a gay man, and "Nigger" when not referring to a black man?

Just curious, because that's the logical conclusion.

I was thinking about just that earlier, and I think I'd be hard-pressed to find fault with the practice. I actually think "nigger" would be the more interesting case, since the reaction in that case would be more confusion than outrage (or rather, confusion then outrage). People would be like "wait, you just called a white guy a . . . ?" And then they're struggle for awhile to determine just what the fuck you're on about before they decide they should be offended and start criticizing you.

I think the "faggot" case would be a lot murkier, since onlookers would obviously recognize it as a slur and assume you're claiming that, because of trait X, your target is a homosexual. It might be different if the term was applied to a woman, though.

But anyway, it's a thorny issue. I mean, no one has trouble with anyone tossing around words like "idiot", "moron", "imbecile", "cretin", and the like, so why should "retard" be any different? But OTOH "retard" does have a history associated with it that those words don't (at least in recent memory), so there's that to consider as well. Context is key, and consistency is not necessarily a virtue.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Rj123541
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Rj123541 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:59 pm

But the actual meaning of "Faggot" is not an insult to homosexuals, As well as a lot of interpreted terms today.
logic.
ロジック
Avatar: "Irelia", my top lane masterpiece.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:06 pm

View Original PostRj123541 wrote:But the actual meaning of "Faggot" is not an insult to homosexuals, As well as a lot of interpreted terms today.

True, but that's beside the point. The way it's used is what counts. That's why this is such a thorny issue! If people would just use words correctly and stop appropriating them to insult people everything would be fine. :lol:
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:07 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:True, but that's beside the point. The way it's used is what counts. That's why this is such a thorny issue! If people would just use words correctly and stop appropriating them to insult people everything would be fine. :lol:

but I don't use it as a insult :(

Rj123541
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Rj123541 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:12 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:True, but that's beside the point. The way it's used is what counts. That's why this is such a thorny issue! If people would just use words correctly and stop appropriating them to insult people everything would be fine. :lol:
Exactly, so we all need, well most people need dictionaries this Christmas.
logic.
ロジック
Avatar: "Irelia", my top lane masterpiece.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:19 pm

UC Berkeley law students busted for beheading an exotic bird.
Interestingly, the document also states that [one of the arrested students] worked last summer for the Environment and Natural Resources Division of the U.S. Department of Justice. Well, I guess part of being a lawyer is that you don't have to love what you represent. Though typically you don't tear its head off and play catch with its corpse.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:41 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:Quick question: So you all think "Retard" ok given the context, do you guys support the usage of "Faggot" when not referring to a gay man, and "Nigger" when not referring to a black man?

Just curious, because that's the logical conclusion.

Nah, the logical conclusion is that most people self-censor 'faggot' and the n-word because those terms have no place in general society, because of the deep social wounds associated with both. The 'anti-retard' group has yet to convince as many people that the word 'retard' can create a group identity that properly incarnates and promotes the hatred, discrimination, and violence embodied by 'faggot' and the n-word.

I am unconvinced that 'retard' has ever been used as rallying cry to victimize the people literal retardation refers to. I'd also figure ironic use of 'retard' (as a general, throw-away insult by people who are not doctors, and aren't living in the early-mid 1900s [I guess?]) would promote the notion that the group identity 'retard' implicates is nothing more than an irrational fiction, that shouldn't determine the thoughts or behavior of anyone.

That's just me, though.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:06 pm

I tend to shy away from using those words simply because of the way people tend to react to them, but I don't throw a fit when someone uses them around me. Seriously, whatever happened to "sticks and stones"? People are way too easily offended nowadays....
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:38 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote: Seriously, whatever happened to "sticks and stones"?

Just another lie adults tell kids to make them feel better, nothing more nothing less.

Edit: One that Alaska will (dis)like.

I think I first heard about this story here, maybe I'm wrong though.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:01 pm

So, Windows 8 reached general availability today, and the EU have already decided it's going to be a flop. Remember all the fuss a few years ago that led to EU-specific editions of Windows with a browser choice option? Well, the EU have decided that there's no need for such measures with the new touch-based OS.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:58 pm

Whatever. I'm still doing just fine with Windows XP.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:21 pm

Microsoft's OS cycle needs to slow the fuck down. They aren't giving us Win 7 SP2 and giving us Win 8 instead? Same basic thing with incremental system improvements, no Start button, and a touch-based interface that's going to be entirely superfluous for the vast majority of users?

Dude, making your OS life-cycle more like Apple's isn't going to make you Apple :/

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:30 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I'm still doing just fine with Windows XP.

I'm still doing fine too, except for the part where the OS is in a loop where it can't install a mandatory security update and has to download it again
Voluntary Illusion.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:33 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Whatever. I'm still doing just fine with Windows XP.

That's what I thought right before I experienced Windows 7 for the first time and wondered how I ever got along without it.

Not saying Windows 8 will be the same. Just sayin'.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:40 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I mean, no one has trouble with anyone tossing around words like "idiot", "moron", "imbecile", "cretin", and the like, so why should "retard" be any different? But OTOH "retard" does have a history associated with it that those words don't (at least in recent memory), so there's that to consider as well. Context is key, and consistency is not necessarily a virtue.

I looked up the other words for any fun usage notes they might have.

idiot
Psychology . (no longer in technical use; considered offensive) a person of the lowest order in a former and discarded classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.

imbecile
Psychology . (no longer in technical use; considered offensive) a person of the second order in a former and discarded classification of mental retardation, above the level of idiocy, having a mental age of seven or eight years and an intelligence quotient of 25 to 50.

cretin
A person suffering from cretinism: a congenital disease due to absence or deficiency of normal thyroid secretion, characterized by physical deformity, dwarfism, and mental retardation, and often by goiter.

(Similarly, "dumb" is supposed to mean "lacking the ability to speak", but has been conflated with lack of intellectual ability.)

Most of these insults intrinsically target marginalized groups. Since we're always looking for better and harsher ways to insult each other -- such as via comparison to marginalized groups those with privilege would probably not voluntarily choose to belong to -- "retard" will eventually become old hat, a stock insult severed from its historical origins just like "idiot" and "imbecile". Concern over its usage will be replaced with something newer and more objectionable in the contemporary public's mind. The euphemism treadmill abets this process: as old labels are tainted by cultural baggage, new ones are constantly being created so the same thing can happen all over again.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:03 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:That's what I thought right before I experienced Windows 7 for the first time and wondered how I ever got along without it.

I think this comp still has few years on it before I need to build a new one, give or take another upgrade or two, judging by it's performance on fairly modern games. I'll switch to a new OS when I finally have to say the motherboard & CPU just aren't cutting it anymore.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:39 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I looked up the other words for any fun usage notes they might have.

idiot
Psychology . (no longer in technical use; considered offensive) a person of the lowest order in a former and discarded classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.

imbecile
Psychology . (no longer in technical use; considered offensive) a person of the second order in a former and discarded classification of mental retardation, above the level of idiocy, having a mental age of seven or eight years and an intelligence quotient of 25 to 50.

cretin
A person suffering from cretinism: a congenital disease due to absence or deficiency of normal thyroid secretion, characterized by physical deformity, dwarfism, and mental retardation, and often by goiter.

(Similarly, "dumb" is supposed to mean "lacking the ability to speak", but has been conflated with lack of intellectual ability.)

Most of these insults intrinsically target marginalized groups.

People aren't (usually) targeting the group identity that can be inferred from these words, when they use them. Ironic use (modern use, in other words) of these words robs them of that original, intrinsic meaning, and these days you sorta have to go out of your way to use these words in their original meaning.

What I'm trying to get at is, using the words as insults diminishes the impact (and knowledge of) the original meaning, which is a good thing if you're actually trying to protect the people who would grouped under the collective identity those words used to imply.

I ever get one cornered by one of these people, I'm going to throw that original meaning of "idiot" at them, see how they juggle that :D

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:32 pm

We're already half way there with "Fag."

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:44 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:We're already half way there with "Fag."

As I like to say: Being gay is not a choice. Being a faggot, on the other hand....
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:29 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Whatever. I'm still doing just fine with Windows XP.
This. Living in the past is the best.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”