Neon Genesis Evangelion 2 (PS2 & PSP) - Video Clips

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Neon Genesis Evangelion 2 (PS2 & PSP) - Video Clips

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:50 am

"Neon Genesis Evangelion 2" is a video game for the PS2 and PSP (the two versions have a handful of differences) of above-average interest for hard-core NGE fans. It lets you "simulate" the Evangelion world (how successfully is up for grabs) and explore a variety of alternate scenarios informed by Anno himself.

I've been exploring the odds and ends of the games myself and making video recordings along the way -- both for myself, of course, but also for those of you who don't have access to this stuff. At long last, I'm starting to sort through my heaps of files and put them up on YouTube (where there is a surprising dearth of footage from the game, at least in a form accessible to the English-speaking community).

There are still" accessibility" problems, since the language is Japanese, but I figure that this is a worthwhile service to undertake all the same.

Gendo's Endings (PS2 version) have been up for a while. I've just uploaded the "Return of Eva-04" scene ([s:2m4a4995]in super-awesome VHS quality -- but, hey, it's something[/s:2m4a4995] nevermind, it's better now). Currently uploading a bunch of Angel-related cut scenes (there will be four parts in all), since those were easy to slap together.

[s:2m4a4995]Next up are, I suppose, the endings that I have lying around.[/s:2m4a4995] Okay, those might take longer than I imagined.

Find the goods at: http://www.youtube.com/user/Reichu
Last edited by Reichu on Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:28 pm

:gasp: Holy crap, you can get Kaworu to summon Unit 04 back from the Dirac Sea?!

How ... exactly ... did Shinji convince him to do that? Or did Kaworu just kind of up and decide to do it on his own?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:19 pm

@Monk Ed: Kaworu just kind of does it on his own*. Haven't done a translation yet (will soon), but Kaworu basically says (very crudely paraphrased), "I've got something interesting to show you. This should be a good vantage point... A new friend is joining us." Then he calls Eva-04 a "he" for reasons utterly beyond me.

Also, better version of the Eva-04 scene up now.** [EDIT: Wait, maybe this is the one you watched...]

* Though there's probably something special the player normally has to do to make the cut scene (and Eva-04's return, accordingly) happen -- ordinarily. In the particular scenario that I was playing, "The Final Messenger", the scene happens automatically after you fight Tabris and convince him to live.

Ah, speaking of which, let me go upload that video now...

** Okay, so I thought that YouTube would let me just upload over the old one when I managed to re-record the cut scene... Fehhhh. This inconvenience is going to delay some of my uploads. Or, at least, make me dump "unpolished" versions (there's some footage that I still only have as recorded to VHS tape, from before I got a capture device) onto the evageeks server first.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:13 pm

I believe you just have to have a high relationship with Kaworu along with convincing him to join you/Shinji (during the Tabris battle) for Eva-04 to be summoned... At least that's what I noticed in the PSP version. What's nice is once you "unlock" Shinji saving Kaworu, Kaworu automatically survives in the other character scenarios.

Edit: If you ever manage to get the F-type equipment in PS2 or PSP Eva2, be sure to upload that stuff. I still haven't figured it out though I tried to follow the conditions of having an ally be retrieved in battle/the Timer running out/Angel close to the Geofront...but still no luck. Even if Eva-01 berserks once, still nothing happens afterwards for other berserks.

Thanks for the uploads! :kawaii:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:46 pm

I remember last summer trying to make Eva-01 go berserk twice (apparently one of the conditions for obtaining F-Type), and it made me mad. I think it's one of those things that will either happen by chance, or I'll bother with after I've gotten everything else I can obtain without risking psychosis.

...Y'know, while going through my recordings, it seemed like all the ones I remembered making weren't quite there. Then I went up a directory, and 2500+ files smashed me in the face. This is gonna suck.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:48 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:This is gonna suck.

Yes I have a million other projects on my plate, but is there anyway I (or others on EGF) could help with easing the load somehow?

Someone
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Someone » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:12 am

Would be nice if you added some subs. :ninja:
DISCLAIMER: The above statement might or might not be serious.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:02 pm

View Original PostSomeone wrote:Would be nice if you added some subs. :ninja:

Processing the videos takes a lot of work as it is. Would anyone be willing to help out and make properly timed sub files, if I provide crude timings for the stuff I understand offhand?

BTW, the Angel Ending is up, along with a couple of in-battle events (deploying the Spear of Longinus, plus Dummy System activation).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:57 pm

Guess this isn't sparking much interest at the moment -- oh, well. I'll keep uploading shit anyway until I get bored of it.

First post updated. Also now up:

- A bunch of PS2 character scenario intros (Shinji and Asuka are pending, since I need to collect a little more footage)
- The Yui's grave cut scene (PS2 version)
- Episode 1 of Shinji's first PSP scenario ["Angel Attack", which is basically "tutorial" + "play through the events of the game"]

For some reason, the PSP ones occasionally go blurry for a handful of seconds at a time. I have no idea why.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:42 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Guess this isn't sparking much interest at the moment

Maybe because people are so used to reading Discussion for Eva2 things instead of Everything Else? :lol: I'll check out the videos when I have a moment.

"Thanks for your hard work." /Mari

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:01 am

:grin: Much appreciated!

Hm. I was watching "NGE2 (PSP) - Shinji's Scenario (Angel Attack) - Ep. 2 (4/5)" and for some reason, the image freezes (and stays frozen) at about the 1:30 mark, and the audio stops at about 9:30. :(

Addendum: Watching Touji's scenario intro cutscene. I'm amazed at how much of the Japanese I can understand! Thanks mainly to the combination of paced speech with text. When it's just text, the kanji trip me up; when it's just speech, I can't always parse the syllables correctly; but when it's both like this it's decently smooth sailing.

And I seem to be learning new phrases and usages in the process. :grin: Better than my lame Japanese lessons CD!
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:39 am

Both of you are much welcome. :3

I had to reupload the video you mentioned, Ed. Don't know what went wrong there. Part 5 will go up later today. (My upload times are restricted due to being on a router in a house with a work-at-home parent.)

I've learned a lot of Japanese from the game, myself. Hmm, I just might upload some character dialogue collections once I get things a bit more organized...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

felineki
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby felineki » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:23 pm

Thanks for uploading these. There seems to have been some sort of problem with part 4 of the Angel cutscenes, it's just audio set to a pitch black screen.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:25 pm

A couple of Eva Series fight videos featuring Jet Alone 2's entrance and exit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enrSqZ36gh4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp1jMeZ7a2M

And here's Rei blowing herself up.

View Original Postfelineki wrote:There seems to have been some sort of problem with part 4 of the Angel cutscenes, it's just audio set to a pitch black screen.

[s]It's not still like that, is it? The re-upload is working fine for me.[/s] Oh, whoops, so much for reading comprehension. I'm on that shit.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:29 pm

Interesting, is this sequence absent in the PSP version? Personally I've seen the battle in the Geofront just two or three times, without obtaining this event.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:45 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Interesting, is this sequence absent in the PSP version? Personally I've seen the battle in the Geofront just two or three times, without obtaining this event.

Apparently, it is possible to obtain in the PSP version. I haven't diddled around in Another Cases enough to have snagged it yet myself, though.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

McDirty
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby McDirty » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:30 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Processing the videos takes a lot of work as it is. Would anyone be willing to help out and make properly timed sub files, if I provide crude timings for the stuff I understand offhand?

I'd be willing to help out. It be nice to see these translated at least. :D
I sent a PM with more details in it.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”