what exactly is an AT field

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
ericm
Embryo

what exactly is an AT field

•      
  •      

Postby ericm » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:00 am

I have seen many mentions of them here but I can't tell exactly what they are; sometimes it seems AT field is another name for 'soul' but in the case of 3rd Impact it seems to be something different..can someone explain this? The angels' AT fields just appear to be force fields of some kind; are they the same AT fields that are mentioned everywhere else?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:19 am

For the Angels (born of Adam) and Evas, the AT Field is a projection of the soul that acts as a protective barrier. However for humans (born of Lilith) the AT Field's purpose is to maintain the physical form of the individual.

The new movies seem to redact this somewhat, as Angels liquify into blood the same way humans dissolve into LCL in The End of Evangelion.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:16 pm

I would contend that both the Angels and the humans use the AT Field as the shaper and maintainer of their bodies:

Kaworu's scenario Good End wrote:Kaworu:
What do I do about our A.T. Fields...?

???:
Call the Spear. Wish for a time of beginnings. Then it will be okay to lead your people's souls.

(Nerv Command Center)

Hyuga:
The caged Evas have... disappeared!

Here, elimination of AT Field = elimination of body. Even if one discounts the veracity of NGE2, even the copy Spears of Longinus burst into LCL at the end.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

katastroff
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby katastroff » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:16 pm

All living things possess AT Fields: angels, humans, and animals alike. They happen to manifest differently for those born of Adam and those of Lillith. Angels and Evas can project an AT-Field (typically the hexagonal-shaped, orange "force-fields") that can influence the physical world, while in humans they don't actually manifest physically, but exist as a psychological barrier. Part of this is the fruit of life/wisdom thing. Angels posses immortality from the S2 organ, and a perfect defense from their AT-Fields, but are limited to basic instinctual processes. Lillim, or humans, on the other hand, are both weak and mortal, but posses high intelligence and greater self-awareness, which may be may be why AT-Fields are mental barriers instead of physical, as a part of the higher functions.

Of course, its much deeper than that. And to answer the question of why the breaking down of AT-Fields results in liquification, then you're entering the area of symbolism. The AT-Field is actually one of the denser, more elaborated ideas in NGE, and it touches base on many concepts. In the case of why people turn to LCL in EOE, part of it has to do with the connection to how AT-Fields represent individuality, which is connected to the purpose of the soul in NGE, and then why it breaks down is related to the Hedgehog's Dilemma, and so on...

To answer a general question like: "What is an AT-Field?" My best advice is really to just rewatch the series with greater focus, particularly on the snippets of insight that is dropped all throughout the series. Kawaru's line posted is one example of that.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:09 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:For the Angels (born of Adam) and Evas, the AT Field is a projection of the soul that acts as a protective barrier. However for humans (born of Lilith) the AT Field's purpose is to maintain the physical form of the individual.

My understanding is AT Field for humans also serves as barrier that keeps individual minds to separate from each other. Hence the breakdown of the AT Field in Instrumentality - in order to merge the minds of humans into one.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:41 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:NGE's own stance on the issue is that all lifeforms have souls by default -- even your intestinal flora. So comparing the clones to dogs and basal primates probably doesn't work.

Where did it say that all lifeforms have souls? Also, if that is the case, the souls in Rei and human would be quite different from dogs' soul, right? (can you put a dog's soul in Eva? :chinscratch: )

Don't think it needs a split. I think the chat will end on its own in a few posts.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:47 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Where did it say that all lifeforms have souls?

Not stated, but heavily implied. For example, we know the connection between soul and ATF -- the former generates the latter. During EoE, we're told that organisms will be unable to maintain their individual forms due to the AATF. Similarly, we know Adam generated an AATF during 2I, and Fuyutsuki comments that all life down to the microbial level was destroyed. None of this would make much sense if all life wasn't souled and reliant on ATFs for physical form.
Last edited by Reichu on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:48 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Not stated, but heavily implied. For example, we know the connection between soul and ATF -- the former generates the latter. During EoE, we're told that organisms will be unable to maintain their individual forms due to the AATF.

Did it say that soul generates ATF? Or just life itself generates ATF?
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:06 pm

Sorry, but using "micro" in a thread search in Chit-Chat and Discussion sections yielded nothing. Tried "icro" just in case it is case-sensitive. Also tried Fandom, Rebuild and Everything Else just in case...

Though at the end I just want to see where in Eva did it say souls generate ATF.....
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:17 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Sorry, but using "micro" in a thread search in Chit-Chat and Discussion sections yielded nothing.

Not thread search, just the regular Search.

Though at the end I just want to see where in Eva did it say souls generate ATF.....

Implied a few different ways, but here's the easiest quote (and we're off-topic, so this is it; no asking me to provide it in Japanese or anything :tongue: ):

Episode 24 wrote:KAWORU:
That's right. That's what you Lilim [sic] call it.
The sacred domain where none may trespass.
The light of the soul.
Lilim, you know, don't you?
That the AT Field is the wall that everyone has in their heart?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:24 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Not thread search, just the regular Search.

OK then, since you said 'a thread search for words like "microbes" and "microorganisms"'I just went for thread search....

But if it is about if microbes have souls or not, I am not really too interested...

View Original PostReichu wrote:Implied a few different ways, but here's the easiest quote (and we're off-topic, so this is it; no asking me to provide it in Japanese or anything :tongue: ):

Hmm... I won't say I would interpret that straight away that souls is the source of ATF... much less all lifeforms have souls as defined and used in the Eva world (which may or may not be the same as the souls as we understand).

Anyway, I guess most likely it is each-to-his/her-own type of interpretation. To me, I would think that souls as used in Eva only reside in human (or angels like Lilith) not in every lifeform. So soulless Rei clones are similar to other non-human lifeforms in that respect. Just like we find other lifeforms acting human like to be sometimes creepy, Rei clones, with a perfectly human appearance, would look even more creepy when they show human-like behavior or reactions.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:42 pm

Sorry Reichu but I wanted to say a word or two about this topic and I can't refrain from doing it any longer, please move the last posts in a new thread if it's deemed necessary.
View Original Postsymbv wrote:Hmm... I won't say I would interpret that straight away that souls is the source of ATF...

It's actually quite easy to interpret it as saying that souls generate A.T. Fields, it really sounds like saying that the A.T. Field is the barrier of the soul, it prevents each soul from merging/confusing with the other ones, if it's the barrier of the soul then I'm tempted to think that it's originated by the soul itself.
View Original Postsymbv wrote:To me, I would think that souls as used in Eva only reside in human (or angels like Lilith) not in every lifeform.

Lilith arrived on earth little after the formation of the solar system, it's pretty much implicit that everything from microbes to human beings are its offspring ([s]actually it's directly mentioned by C.I.[/s] [EDIT]: no, it only mentions "superior animals", maybe only dolphins, apes and man have souls....[/EDIT]), thus I think that they should share this common trait, the Lilith originated soul, why shouldn't they have it? Lilith "planned" evolution and it decided to give souls only to human beings? It sounds like one of those "(un)intelligent design" theory.
Last edited by Hyper Shinchan on Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:53 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:It's actually quite easy to interpret it as saying that souls generate A.T. Fields, it really sounds like saying that the A.T. Field is the barrier of the soul, it prevents each soul from merging/confusing with the other ones, if it's the barrier of the soul then I'm tempted to think that it's originated by the soul itself.

My interpretation is that one thing AT Field can function is to guard the soul but it does not mean souls generate AT Field.
View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Lilith arrived on earth little after the formation of the solar system, it's pretty much implicit that everything from microbes to human beings are its offspring (actually it's directly mentioned by C.I.), thus I think that they should share this common trait, the Lilith originated soul, why shouldn't they have it?

All lifeforms originated from Lilith, yes, but that does not mean because of that all lifeforms have souls, at least souls as defined and used in Eva. If all souls are same in Eva, I guess we can put a dog's soul in Eva as well then? Of course it can be argued that it may not synch with Eva after all, but what I want to say is there does not seem to be enough information to show conclusively that according to information disclosed in Evangelion all lifeforms possess souls (as used in Eva) and souls (only) generate AT Field.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:00 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:My interpretation is that one thing AT Field can function is to guard the soul but it does not mean souls generate AT Field.

Well, now everyone is going to scream against me but in NME it's explicitly mentioned that the source of A.T. fields is the core of the Evas/Angels which should contain their souls. Yeah, yeah, it's only valid inside NME's continuity, I know, but I wanted to say it, now I'll shut up and I'll search for similar confirmations inside NGE too.
View Original Postsymbv wrote:If all souls are same in Eva, I guess we can put a dog's soul in Eva as well then?

Maybe because they'd have to use a dog pilot in this case in order to have sufficient affinity and it'd be difficult to control one. It's not like sending Laika into space.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:21 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Well, now everyone is going to scream against me but in NME it's explicitly mentioned that the source of A.T. fields is the core of the Evas/Angels which should contain their souls.

Would help if you can tell me where in NME it was explicitly mentioned as I may have missed it (is it in 1.0?)
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:34 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Would help if you can tell me where in NME it was explicitly mentioned as I may have missed it (is it in 1.0?)

Yep, it is from Jo, I haven't noticed if it's also shown in Ha:
[URL=http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/9931/atfield.png]Image[/URL]
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:53 pm

Seems in the part of 1.0 that I missed...

But I am fine with AT Field coming from a core, but that does not mean AT Field comes from a soul....
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:01 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:But I am fine with AT Field coming from a core, but that does not mean AT Field comes from a soul....

"CORE UNIT + ENTRY PLUG" is surely a pretty strong implication that Yui and Shinji are both contributing to the formation of this AT field.

Besides, Kaworu's definition of AT field as "the light of the soul" seems to clearly state that AT fields are an emanation of the soul (although as both Ends show, the AT field also paradoxically defines the soul's very existence).
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:05 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:But I am fine with AT Field coming from a core, but that does not mean AT Field comes from a soul....

Usually core equates to soul, though I don't know if it's possible to safely assume that this equation is valid in NME too...
EDIT:
it's mentioned by C.I., if it's a valid source for symbv:
C.I. wrote:The Development of Eva
D. In-Depth Information

A unit called a core is used to eliminate any discrepancies in the joining of Eva, the body of a god, with that of a human being's soul. The soul of the pilot's mother, which is placed within the core, acts as a medium and makes piloting possible.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:15 pm

The logic can be tricky: if you argue that AT Field comes from a core, and thus say that AT Field comes from a soul, wouldn't it be as valid to argue that because in Jo we are shown AT Field comes from a core, and human has AT Field, then human must have a core too?

As for the C.I., that is for NGE, so let's treat it separately...
I think it only states what we understand about core and what's in it. I don't see how it tells if it is core or soul or something else that generates the AT Field here...

As for Azathoth's point, I wonder why when you see "light of soul" then you immediately think it must be light emanating from soul. Couldn't it be a symbolic usage or just describing certain function of AT Field? Even if we are to take it literally, when I say the light of Moon does it mean that the Moon generates light?
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”