Should I wait for a re-dub?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
SHINOBI-03
Adam

Should I wait for a re-dub?

•      
  •      

Postby SHINOBI-03 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:42 am

For now, I've watched the series via fansubs. I don't own an official release of the series.

I want to buy the Platinum version, but at the same time, I don't want to. Why? because I'm waiting for any possible news of a re-release with a better re-dub from FUNimation who owns the dub rights now.

Sure, some would say I should buy what existed for years and engraved in the fandom, but I have a problem with some of the dub voices. Especially whoever voiced Ritsuku because she was goddamn awful from what I've seen.

So, what you think? Should I buy the ADV dub version? Or wait for a FUNimation re-dub that may or may not happen?
On the List:
- 2 RD Eva 01 (On hold)
- RD Eva 02 (On hold)
- RD Eva 02 The Beast (On hold)

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:45 am

I don´t think that they´ll re-dub the original series. :/
The english dub of Rebuild is probably the closest you can get, probably.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:41 am

Just buy Platinum so that you actually own the original, kick-ass series, and ignore the English dub track to the best of your ability.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:57 am

>waiting for a good dub of NGE
>might as well say you're never intending to buy it

:rofl:

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:02 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Just buy Platinum so that you actually own the original, kick-ass series, and ignore the English dub track to the best of your ability.

THIS

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:>waiting for a good dub of NGE

THIS TOO

SHINOBI-03
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby SHINOBI-03 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:03 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Just buy Platinum so that you actually own the original, kick-ass series, and ignore the English dub track to the best of your ability.

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:>waiting for a good dub of NGE

I do want to buy it. Problem is, I don't want to double-dip. I don't want to buy it now and re-buy it again just for the dub. :rei_meh:

Yeah, I can buy the Platinum and enjoy the Japanese version, but I'm also one of those who enjoy a good English dub. I'm not one of those who hate every dub in the world. And sadly, from the clips I watched here and there, NGE's English dub is not that good. Which is a shame, because I enjoyed ADV dub in other shows like Azumanga Daioh.

If there's a chance for a re-release with a better dub, I'll buy it instantly ((But I'll get weeks later :asuka_stare: )) And with FUNimation's history of DBZ re-releases, why can't we say there might be a chance to NEG? Maybe after the movies? We don't know. But I'll have hope till I get it. :harpy_liplick:
On the List:
- 2 RD Eva 01 (On hold)
- RD Eva 02 (On hold)
- RD Eva 02 The Beast (On hold)

LordEvan88
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby LordEvan88 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:05 pm

As someone who does not outright hate the dub, but who does acknowledge that it really does suck a lot more than I remember (I just restarted the series and its kind of night and day with Rebuild) I feel it does improve over time.

However the odds of it ever getting redubbed are slim. Whatever remains of ADV will need to have it pried from their cold dead hands if they want the license to use the series (Not the movies, mind you).

End of Evangelion might get it at some point. I am not sure how licensing works, I was under the impression that re-dubbing was obligatory but they kept the old dub of FLCL so that may spell a precedent being set.
"When a person cannot deceive himself the chances are against his being able to deceive other people."

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Ironfoot » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:23 pm

You could just suck it up and buy the Platinum which will most likely be better than whatever FUNimation will churn out. Plus, the chances they're going to re-release the series again within a year or two is very very small. Platinum is clearly the most superior release of the series thus far and likely will remain so.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:29 pm

When I look at this thread, I really feel as if I were the only person that liked the English dub over the Japanese dub.. is this so? It's probably because I heard the English before the Japanese....
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Seen
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Seen » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:38 pm

I'm hoping for the same thing. Sadly, I doubt it will happen. I really don't want to waste 60 bucks on something that I already have in questionable-form with higher quality.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:06 pm

1-14 subbed
15-26 dubbed
movies subbed

Problem solved.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

LordEvan88
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby LordEvan88 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:17 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:When I look at this thread, I really feel as if I were the only person that liked the English dub over the Japanese dub.. is this so? It's probably because I heard the English before the Japanese....

I developed an emotional bond with the characters with the English dub, so I prefer it as well.
"When a person cannot deceive himself the chances are against his being able to deceive other people."

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:12 am

View Original PostStryker wrote:When I look at this thread, I really feel as if I were the only person that liked the English dub over the Japanese dub.. is this so? It's probably because I heard the English before the Japanese....

By my own shitty estimates, the preferences of the locals are roughly right down the middle. The dub is definitely not lacking for love here. (Though it's not getting any from me. :devil: )
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Darkman.exe213
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Darkman.exe213 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:41 am

View Original PostLordEvan88 wrote:However the odds of it ever getting redubbed are slim. Whatever remains of ADV will need to have it pried from their cold dead hands if they want the license to use the series (Not the movies, mind you).
This. ADV nearly went bankrupt, and they STILL held onto the license to Evangelion, even though I'm sure Funimation made generous offers to pick it up from them. And ADV wouldn't re-dub it with the budget they have left.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing a new dub with Brina Palencia as Rei. Not that I have any problem with Amanda Winn Lee being Rei (other than the commentary of doom), but Brina brings just a bit more frailness that works with the character.
My avatar: Eva Unit 01 fighting Omnimon (from Digimon), created using figures and legos.
-------
"Shounen yo shin wa ni nare...."

MasterRah
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MasterRah » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:42 am

You are (NOT) alone here. I love the English dub, and it got way better over time. I don't see the hate for Ritsuko, I loved that she sounded like a machine rather than a human, but I get the fact that that's not her character. Colleen Clickenbird or however you spell her name did do a much better job than the original VA in the Rebuild of Eva movies.

zuka
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby zuka » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:57 pm

I like the English dub of the original series a lot more than the Japanese, simply because that's what I grew up with. But having rewatched it, it gets a lot better as the series progresses - Ritsuku is the worst until the second half, where you dont notice it.
Eva is the only anime I've ever watched, so I'm sorry if I don't get your jokes.

Seen
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Seen » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:23 pm

View Original PostDarkman.exe213 wrote:That said, I wouldn't mind seeing a new dub with Brina Palencia as Rei. Not that I have any problem with Amanda Winn Lee being Rei (other than the commentary of doom), but Brina brings just a bit more frailness that works with the character.

Amanda would just whisper into the mic. Ever have anyone whisper in your ear, and you got that chill/tingle going down your spine from it? That's what I got whenever I listened to her.

I should really draw a comic of Rei whispering into Asuka's ears from behind during the elevator scene with Asuka with the most creeped out, unconformable face ever.

Eva has it's own miiiiiinnnnnnd~

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:56 pm

That's how I feel all the damn time. Not that I have anything against the Japanese dub, but all these hardcore sub-only fans really deters me away from subs in general because I've begun to develop a negative conontation with EVA and the sub vs dub war.
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:05 pm

just get the Platinum Collection for now and enjoy it

you may get your wish in time for a new English-speaking dub, but IMO that will only happen if some major media conglomerate like Disney, News Corp., Time Warner or Comcast buys the distribution/licensing rights from FUNimation, and for now practically NO ONE in mainstream entertainment in the Western Hemisphere takes anime srsly as a reliably profitable genre, especially older anime
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Seen
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Seen » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:36 pm

View Original PostTHE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:just get the Platinum Collection for now and enjoy it

you may get your wish in time for a new English-speaking dub, but IMO that will only happen if some major media conglomerate like Disney, News Corp., Time Warner or Comcast buys the distribution/licensing rights from FUNimation, and for now practically NO ONE in mainstream entertainment in the Western Hemisphere takes anime srsly as a reliably profitable genre, especially older anime

ADV holds the rights to the old dub. Most of us are hoping for Funimation to get the rights.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”