Question about the Platinum Edition Holiday boxset

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Alastor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Question about the Platinum Edition Holiday boxset

•      
  •      

Postby Alastor » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:40 pm

Just need to ask this before I order it: it comes with four Director's Cut episodes, out of the six(?) which ones though?
"Are you suggesting Toji was nearly killed because his eva had a yeast infection?" - NemZ
"You know...pretty much everybody has a motive to kill Kaji. So let's just take this to it's logical conclusion and say Pen-Pen killed Kaji in a jealous fit of rage over Misato." - Trajan

Kodaemon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kodaemon » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:48 pm

Actually, only four episodes have director's cuts, and those are 21 through 24.
just a signature

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:40 pm

It comes with the only four Directors' Cut episodes there are: 21'-24'. The 25 and 26 "Director's Cuts" were actually just (partial? I don't remember) redubs of 25 and 26, but otherwise unchanged.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:44 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:The 25 and 26 "Director's Cuts" were actually just (partial? I don't remember) redubs of 25 and 26, but otherwise unchanged.

No. What happened is that in ADV's original release, they had to use TV Masters, so when they released Resurrection and Genesis Reborn, they put the TV Masters and DVD Masters on the disc and called the DVD Masters Director's Cuts, even though most people will be unable to tell the difference.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:47 pm

Well, there you have it. ADV did partially redub the episodes as well, though, if I recall correctly.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:10 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Well, there you have it. ADV did partially redub the episodes as well, though, if I recall correctly.

They redubbed the actual director's cuts. They redid a very few lines for Platinum.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:13 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:They redubbed the actual director's cuts. They redid a very few lines for Platinum.

Really? I recall the Platinum releases of 25 and 26 being filled with John Swasey.

RMZX
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby RMZX » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:23 pm

What? The only John Swasey in the Platinum Edition was 21' thru 24'. The 25 and 26 are still MacAvery.
:|

MasterRah
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MasterRah » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:41 pm

I'm also thinking about getting the Holiday Edition since it is the last release after all, and pretty damn cheap now.

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/cci3tXBrBISYT6rueC/browse/item/81583/4/0/0

For those that may have it, is it a boxset or just a regular DVD case that encases all the episodes inside them with a thinpack or so?

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:47 pm

It's a single-case "brick" package.

Alastor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Alastor » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:55 pm

Last two questions from me then: does it come with the thick stack of manuals that the individual releases did and is it a spindle styled one a la RahXephon: Complete Collection released around the same time?
"Are you suggesting Toji was nearly killed because his eva had a yeast infection?" - NemZ
"You know...pretty much everybody has a motive to kill Kaji. So let's just take this to it's logical conclusion and say Pen-Pen killed Kaji in a jealous fit of rage over Misato." - Trajan

MasterRah
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MasterRah » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:12 pm

View Original Postsvenge wrote:It's a single-case "brick" package.

Ah. So it's like the Dragon Ball Z orange brick sets then? Can you post any pictures of them so I get an idea of what it looks like? What are the extras that that set has over the platinum case?

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:40 am

View Original PostAlastor wrote:Last two questions from me then: does it come with the thick stack of manuals that the individual releases did and is it a spindle styled one a la RahXephon: Complete Collection released around the same time?

It has no booklets at all, but it does have all the on-disc extras found on the original Platinum single-disc releases (which are missing on the Thinpak version).... Thankfully, it's not a STACKpak like RahXephon's, but an ADV-type brick w/ inner leaves.

Picture stolen shamelessly from a Yahoo!Japan auction:

MasterRah
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MasterRah » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:16 am

Thanks. I have no problem with this one. I plan to get the Holiday edition then.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:15 pm

View Original PostAlastor wrote:Last two questions from me then: does it come with the thick stack of manuals that the individual releases did and is it a spindle styled one a la RahXephon: Complete Collection released around the same time?

Booklets can be found transcribed here:

http://www.evamonkey.com/em_platinum_booklets.php

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:49 pm

My copy still has that factory-fresh smell when I open it. Does that count as a perk of the packaging?

Alastor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Alastor » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:42 am

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:My copy still has that factory-fresh smell when I open it. Does that count as a perk of the packaging?

...Yes. Yes, it does.
Though my RahXephon Complete Collection's disks were still warm from pressing. >>

rhfxz1s
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby rhfxz1s » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:50 am

So what exactly is the difference between the Holiday Edition and the standard Platinum Edition that I just bought last month? Aside from the packaging, they seem the same, price included.

Alastor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Alastor » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:54 am

View Original Postrhfxz1s wrote:So what exactly is the difference between the Holiday Edition and the standard Platinum Edition that I just bought last month? Aside from the packaging, they seem the same, price included.

It's a repacking of the Thinkpak beyond artwork.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:46 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Really? I recall the Platinum releases of 25 and 26 being filled with John Swasey.

Ah, you're right. I was mistaken, because I don't pay too much to the dubbing these days. Apparently they did completely redub episodes 25 and 26 for the "Director's Cut" incarnations of those episodes on Resurrection and Genesis Reborn. The Platinum release uses that same dub work. So no Tristan MacAvery in episodes 25 and 26 for you. Sorry.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”